Batwoman

Cassandra

And they have already established that Alice is working for a HER, who will probably be the next seasons big bad AND will require (ala Arrow and Deathstroke) Kate working with Alice to beat her. Mind you, they did something similar in the run that started a couple years ago, where Alice came back and was working with the father to help Kate.

10 hours ago, zslane said:

You know, I'm not entirely convinced that Batwoman needs to follow the serialized Big Bad For the Season structure established by Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It could benefit from a Villain of the Week structure instead, allowing them to use their creativity to establish a whole new rogue's gallery for Batwoman rather than focusing so much on a single antagonist for the whole season (or even for a big chunk of it). Because right now, the show is really straining under the weight of how tiresome Alice is as the featured antagonist.

Actually, I think the genre as a whole could benefit from a bit more "arc creativity".  Run a half season Big Bad.  Have a few "done in one" episodes, and some shorter (2 - 6 episode) arcs.  When we know every storyline runs the entire season, it just makes it predictable that "the heroes have not won yet".

I say go to the comic books themselves for inspiration. They often have an overarching plot extending over multiple issues, sometimes a couple of years' worth; but in the meantime they break that up with shorter stories involving different threats and villains, character-building and comic-relief issues, crossovers and guest-stars, etc. The nature and magnitude of the underlying threat often isn't revealed until near the climax of the story.

20 hours ago, slikmar said:

And they have already established that Alice is working for a HER, who will probably be the next seasons big bad AND will require (ala Arrow and Deathstroke) Kate working with Alice to beat her. Mind you, they did something similar in the run that started a couple years ago, where Alice came back and was working with the father to help Kate.

Mia Sara as Harley Quinn no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 2:50 PM, csyphrett said:

I believe that Buffy is actually as strong as Blade, or maybe Captain America at the upper end. It takes a lot of omph to jam a pencil through a human rib cage.

CES

On 11/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, Greywind said:

Considerably less if you miss the bone.

To be fair, on that show a regular person could push a garden stake a foot into a vampire's torso one-handed as if it were made of pudding. Buffy, on the other hand, had actual superhuman powers and was shown bending a rifle barrel into a J and making 12+ foot vertical leaps, so it didn't seem out of place. Particularly as staking usually came after a few good kicks and punches to the rib cage to soften them up.

I haven't been watching the series until the Crisis crossover episode, but Ruby Rose is doing a much, much better job than I expected based on last year and her previous roles. She has great chemistry with Melissa Benoist that really sells the friendship between their characters, and I've enjoyed her scenes with Brandon Routh and Jon Cryer as well. I'm also hoping that having Kevin Conroy appear as a parallel Bruce Wayne means he might reappear as the show's version at some future point.

• 1 month later...

I just watched my first, and probably last, three minutes of Batwoman.

I have not been following the "Arrowverse" for a couple of years, and I haven't seen or heard anything to really make me want to watch Batwoman, but I also didn't have anything against it.

So, I was flipping channels and I saw what I think was the first few minutes of tonight's episode.

A train was gaining speed and flying through the stations instead of stopping.

It appeared that the computer controls had failed.

A man in a control room (Luke Fox? at least according to a quick google search) was trying to reach Batwoman, who was basically ignoring him while she talked about how much she liked her motorcycle.

She finally caught up with the train just before it crashed.

She launched a grapple (which appeared to be about four inches across) through the thin-looking metal on the back of the last car, then fired the other end into the ground, tie, something, causing the train to stop instantly about an inch from the barrier it was going to crash into.

Then, the anchor that had been fired into the ground came loose and came flying toward Batwoman from behind and a guard, policeman, something, tackled her out of the way.

I think this would have been laughed out of the first script meeting in the Adam West Batman show.

Bat Shark Repellent was more realistic than this crap.

Wouldn't stopping the train instantly do almost as much damage as a crash, unless you were in the engine itself?

Could any sort of grapple, no matter what it was made of, stop a train just by punching through the metal of the last car?

Even if the anchor at the other end was strong enough to hold, wouldn't it just tear back through the metal?

I have always been a four-color kind of guy, and I don't expect comic books the follow all the laws of physics, but this was just ridiculous.

I have no problem with Superman catching Lois when she falls off a building without hurting her.

But if he caught her by one hair of her head and that supported her whole weight,  I would have to cry foul.

This was just goofy.

Just my first, and likely last, impression.

KA.

23 hours ago, KA. said:

I just watched my first, and probably last, three minutes of Batwoman.I

KA.

Oh boy, you shoulda stuck around to see who pulled that train stunt and why. Talk about groan-inducing... oy.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:21 PM, KA. said:

I just watched my first, and probably last, three minutes of Batwoman.

I have not been following the "Arrowverse" for a couple of years, and I haven't seen or heard anything to really make me want to watch Batwoman, but I also didn't have anything against it.

So, I was flipping channels and I saw what I think was the first few minutes of tonight's episode.

A train was gaining speed and flying through the stations instead of stopping.

It appeared that the computer controls had failed.

A man in a control room (Luke Fox? at least according to a quick google search) was trying to reach Batwoman, who was basically ignoring him while she talked about how much she liked her motorcycle.

She finally caught up with the train just before it crashed.

She launched a grapple (which appeared to be about four inches across) through the thin-looking metal on the back of the last car, then fired the other end into the ground, tie, something, causing the train to stop instantly about an inch from the barrier it was going to crash into.

Then, the anchor that had been fired into the ground came loose and came flying toward Batwoman from behind and a guard, policeman, something, tackled her out of the way.

I think this would have been laughed out of the first script meeting in the Adam West Batman show.

Bat Shark Repellent was more realistic than this crap.

Wouldn't stopping the train instantly do almost as much damage as a crash, unless you were in the engine itself?

Could any sort of grapple, no matter what it was made of, stop a train just by punching through the metal of the last car?

Even if the anchor at the other end was strong enough to hold, wouldn't it just tear back through the metal?

I have always been a four-color kind of guy, and I don't expect comic books the follow all the laws of physics, but this was just ridiculous.

I have no problem with Superman catching Lois when she falls off a building without hurting her.

But if he caught her by one hair of her head and that supported her whole weight,  I would have to cry foul.

This was just goofy.

KA.

I basically came here to post this.

The grapple stops the train INSTANTLY which would result in the immediate death of all passengers - but everything is fine - then with all of the unbelievable speed of the train already dealt with - the railroad tie snaps and batwoman is nearly decapitated by her own grapple except a handsome security guard wearing a full suit of plot armor saves her.

What.Is.This.Garbage!?

Even by CW show standards - which I mostly enjoy - this is beyond unacceptable.

2 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I basically came here to post this.

The grapple stops the train INSTANTLY which would result in the immediate death of all passengers - but everything is fine - then with all of the unbelievable speed of the train already dealt with - the railroad tie snaps and batwoman is nearly decapitated by her own grapple except a handsome security guard wearing a full suit of plot armor saves her.

What.Is.This.Garbage!?

Even by CW show standards - which I mostly enjoy - this is beyond unacceptable.

Comic book physics: the train was stopped and the cable had a built in inertial dampener that saved everyone inside the train.

That scene was so bad that I'm 6 hours into a work day and still annoyed.

The security guard had reflexes that would impress the Flash.

Batwoman doesn't think, "Oh, whew, that woulda killed me." but rather, "Oh, great public is getting the wrong idea now".

I predict this series will lead to Amazon and other websites creating a negative star rating - for when 1 star is 6 stars too many - negative 5 stars will do the trick.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, zslane said:

Okay.

Anyone want to venture an over/under on how long Cassandra can stay away from both the show and the urge to formulate commentary on it?

Batwoman?  Pfft.  I'm looking for "They Arrow".  It sounds like a spinoff.....

:sneaky: