Batwoman

Cassandra

15 hours ago, zslane said:

Okay.

Anyone want to venture an over/under on how long Cassandra can stay away from both the show and the urge to formulate commentary on it?

I'm always right.  I warned everyone of the coming failure of the DC Extended Universe five years ago.

1 hour ago, Greywind said:

It isn't a failure if you use Wonder Woman and Aquaman as the leading metric.

Were those really good movies, or did Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Justice League just lower the bar that a half way decent episode of Flash would be considered worth watching?

Snyder loves his deconstructionism.

Watchmen endeavors to show us that only psychologically damaged/unstable people would choose to suit up and be costumed crime-fighters.

Man of Steel endeavors to bury the Marvel ethos that with great power must also come great responsibility under six miles of cynicism and ambivalence.

not cynicism and ambivalence. the message was about fear, which should never be Superman. 

The scene in question, I keep trying to think of any of the Marvel characters who wouldn't do everything they could to save Jonathon's life, damn the consequences to their secret identity. and if someone says Clark was still a kid, Peter Parker would have done so anyway. Of course, his upbringing was about the message you said, great power-great responsiblity.

Superman's should have been "look out for the little guy, and all the guys are little when compared to you" mixed in with a ridiculous amount of humility.

I can watch Man of Steel, I like most the movie, but I HATED that scene. Part of the death of Jonathon Kent should have been "sometimes there are things you can't fix, so fix everything you can" like a heart attack or cancer or something. NOT A PERSON 20 FEET AWAY IN A TORNADO.

And you can consider Zack Snyder's direction of Watchmen to be a trial run for his other forays into super movie-making.

The original Watchmen graphic series was brilliant in a number of ways; but it convinced me that Alan Moore just didn't understand the positive motivations for someone taking up the role of hero. (Some of his later works did cause me to revise my opinion, somewhat.)

5 minutes ago, slikmar said:

not cynicism and ambivalence. the message was about fear, which should never be Superman. 

The scene in question, I keep trying to think of any of the Marvel characters who wouldn't do everything they could to save Jonathon's life, damn the consequences to their secret identity. and if someone says Clark was still a kid, Peter Parker would have done so anyway. Of course, his upbringing was about the message you said, great power-great responsiblity.

Superman's should have been "look out for the little guy, and all the guys are little when compared to you" mixed in with a ridiculous amount of humility.

I can watch Man of Steel, I like most the movie, but I HATED that scene. Part of the death of Jonathon Kent should have been "sometimes there are things you can't fix, so fix everything you can" like a heart attack or cancer or something. NOT A PERSON 20 FEET AWAY IN A TORNADO.

• 3 months later...

To be honest, I'm really hoping they cast a more physically robust lead for the second season. I'm all for women in action-hero roles, but having a slender fragile-looking woman throwing grown men around just strains my credulity. Ruby Rose's situation isn't the same as Melissa Benoist's, whose Supergirl is alien and superhuman; nor comparable to Caity Lotz, whose obvious athleticism is compatible with the skills of White Canary.

Yeah, I'd give Caity the edge in a fight with anyone else on that show except Dominic Purcell, and since he doesn't seem to move quickly she might be able to evade his punches.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:10 PM, slikmar said:

Seriously, I'm a pudgy 50-year-old office worker and I could have dragged Johnathan Kent's suicidal ass to the overpass everyone fled to (a big no-no, by the way) in the time Clark stood there gawking with his mouth open. People running for their lives from a twister tearing their cars to scrap metal would not stop and think "Gee, that young football player saved his dad slightly quicker than a huge adrenaline rush in a powerful athlete would justify—must be an alien freak!"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 4:07 PM, Matt the Bruins said:

Yeah, I'd give Caity the edge in a fight with anyone else on that show except Dominic Purcell, and since he doesn't seem to move quickly she might be able to evade his punches.

Seriously, I'm a pudgy 50-year-old office worker and I could have dragged Johnathan Kent's suicidal ass to the overpass everyone fled to (a big no-no, by the way) in the time Clark stood there gawking with his mouth open. People running for their lives from a twister tearing their cars to scrap metal would not stop and think "Gee, that young football player saved his dad slightly quicker than a huge adrenaline rush in a powerful athlete would justify—must be an alien freak!"

Hanging out under an overpass during a tornado is a no-no anyway. Head to a ditch and lie low.