Are there any one off modules anywhere?

Ronin94

I am a brand new GM and still trying to learn the book to a point and my first game is supposed to be in a week. I have barely had a chance to build my campaign and am not even really sure what I need to have for it. Having some single session prefabs would really help me out as 1 it would tell me the kind of prep I need to do for my own campaign 2 offer me something to run until I finish my campaign and 3 give me some side missions for when the players are not yet ready to advance the story. If anyone can point me to a resource I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

What Edition are you going to run? 

6th

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

What genre?

Modern age no super science or magic but there are mutant type abilities. I am mainly looking for simple stuff, apartment fires, bank robberies, murder investigations, that kind of thing. Literally anything would be helpful though as I need some ideas of things to add to my campaign for background prep. 

Edited by Ronin94

2 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

So, Champions then.  Yeah there's a host of adventures out there for Champions.

I just relised I forgot to mention what books I picked up. I already have the Champions complite, Powers guide and 1st villains book. I also plan on picking up the base, equipment and skills guides. The thing about complete is there aren't any prefab example full scenarios in it as it is very compact. I was looking for some PDFs or something someone might have put together and posted for free.

One of the best things about all incarnations of HERO /Champions is near-total backwards compatibility.   :D

And yes, there were a number of thin adventures and larger, multi-session adventures from 4e....   ... and possibly some third party stuff for 5e?  I don't recall for certain. 

I have no idea what exists adventure-wise for 6e, but a quick look through the site store will probably clue you in.

The only caution I can give you if you're looking at older adventures is that the builds were simpler in older edtions: you may want to tweak any characters in these books by adding defenses or modifiers that didn't exist then. 

Or you may not want to do that; I don't know.  I will caution you, though, that if you are looking specifically for adventure modules, stay away from Escape From Stronghold.  While it's an interesting look at a "Super Jail," and has a couple of scenario suggestions, it is _not_ an adventure, no matter what it says on the cover.   :lol:

7 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Go pick up Meriquai Falls from DriveThru, it is the current edition and was for Free RPG day in 2018.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/244747/Meriquai-Falls--Free-RPG-Day-2018?src=newest&filters=0_0_10010_0_0

I really like the Meriquai Falls stuff!  Have used most of the "modules" they have produced!

On 10/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, Ronin94 said:

6th

Modern age no super science or magic but there are mutant type abilities. I am mainly looking for simple stuff, apartment fires, bank robberies, murder investigations, that kind of thing. Literally anything would be helpful though as I need some ideas of things to add to my campaign for background prep. 

For that sort of agenda, I'd suggest this older Champions "Campaign Book" which includes three short introductory adventures, which can be run singly or linked sequentially (titles on the cover):

3rd Edition Champions differs from 6E, but is not that hard to adapt. More importantly, the adventures are easy to run, and include maps.

Ronin94, there are various other published and free amateur short adventures available; not all fall within the parameters you laid out, but we can direct you to those if you'd like.

However, it sounds like you're also interested in how to set up scenarios in your game and use them to build up your game world. If that is the case I would also suggest Villainy Amok, another fine Hero Games Champions book which lays out a range of classic supers scenarios and suggests ways to modify them, diversify them, and link them together to form longer plotlines.

https://www.herogames.com/search/?q="villainy amok"&type=nexus_package_item&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Ronin94, there are various other published and free amateur short adventures available; not all fall within the parameters you laid out, but we can direct you to those if you'd like.

However, it sounds like you're also interested in how to set up scenarios in your game and use them to build up your game world. If that is the case I would also suggest Villainy Amok, another fine Hero Games Champions book which lays out a range of classic supers scenarios and suggests ways to modify them, diversify them, and link them together to form longer plotlines.

https://www.herogames.com/search/?q="villainy amok"&type=nexus_package_item&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

This is what I was looking for. Looks like it has 2 of the major plot lines I was looking for too. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

LL is there a link for the missing tables from Villainy Amok?

There used to be one on an earlier version of this website. But the Internet Archive still has it: https://web.archive.org/web/20060908052409/http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/freedocs/VIL_AMK_88.pdf

The archived website also has another freebie related to Villainy Amok: a bunch more scenario plot seeds written by VA author Scott Bennie: https://web.archive.org/web/20060622221856/http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/ModulesAndAdventures/PlotGallery1AndAHalf.pdf

• 1 month later...

Many years ago, one of my one-off adventures was printed in Digital Hero #29; Project: PREDATOR...before that it was a Haymaker Fanzine submission.

It is a 5th edition adventure with pre-gen amnesiac mutants who must escape from a remote underground government facility, and evade recapture. I ran it a few times in real life with different groups of people. There are some things I would tweak were I to run it again (I am much older and hopefully have learned a few things over the years), but it was serviceable and people liked it.

It might be of use to you, or not. You might use it as a one off to learn / get people used to the rules. It could also be part of a shared origin story...you as the GM engineer it so that the PC's escape and evade. The characters have been mindwiped and must learn how to re-acclimate to the rest of the world which would provide you with some cover for not really having your campaign world fully fleshed out yet...you can fill in the world over the course of the campaign beneath the shade of the PC's amnesia. I actually did do that very thing for the campaign of what would become my MetaCyber setting, heavily cannibalizing and recasting this very adventure for the bones of the first session of what turned into a successful campaign.

It looks like the pdf is available in the store on this site. I don't make a dime if you buy the pdf, so there is no conflict of interest in shilling it to you. Note that the cover is for one of the other items in the pdf; Project: PREDATOR itself has a darker / edgier tone and I used some DCUA templates for the interior art for the piece (which definitely looks dated now, but not too embarrassing).

...here's the link to the item in the store:

image.png.b5811fdea012ab2d4ea6edcd671daebc.png

True Story: I only realized I had borked the acronym in the graphic when I received the complimentary copy of the published pdf. Derp.