Superhero Play-By-Email Recruiting

pbemguy

I'm the GM of a long-running superhero PBEM campaign. It is a modern campaign, actually set in 2025. Alien tech is becoming part of the world due to a foiled alien invasion from 10 years prior.

Please contact me by email: my email address is pbemguy at yahoo dot com.

Anyway, the game is split into two streams: PG and R-rated. There are crossovers between the two streams and the crossovers are PG-rated. The R-rated is dark in tone and has adult themes. The PG is around Marvel movie level. Both streams are open but if you choose R-rated, it's pretty gritty, so you've been warned. :)

The rule set is Hero System 5e.

Please note that the slots fill up quickly so I apologize in advance if you don't get in. I only need two or three players so act now! ;)

Submit a character concept along with a pic of your character in costume, as well as an image of the actor who would play your character in secret id. (Please don't pick, like, Ryan Gosling, even though he is awesome. Choose a lesser-known actor or actress like someone from a soap opera or an obscure TV show. Think B-list!)

So a perfect submission that would make it easy for me would be like:

Character concept: A Wolverine-ish dude who flies

Costume: (attached pic of a costume I found on DeviantArt)

Looks like: Chad Kinney from The Vampire Chronicles TV series

Looking forward to hearing from you!

no-claws-for-alarm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

They laughed when we started the PBEM. Who would want to play by email when we can gather together instead?

Who's laughing now?!?!

Just kidding. We're a pretty laid back group and we have several players posting. This is purely by email: no forums or anything.

The tone is pretty dark but mixed heavily with comedy. There are bonus xp awarded for funny moments and great one-liners.

We use Hero 5e. Usually the GM makes all the rolls but we sometimes take a battle and break it down to be really crunchy and use an online dice roller. So we have the best of both worlds.

There is a kind of IQ requirement for the group, but that usually sorts itself pretty quickly. (Stop being politically incorrect. Oh right, sorry.)

Shoot me a line at pbemguy at yahoo dot calm

11 hours ago, aylwin13 said:

Considering this. Quick question: are there point guidelines/limits?

Yes. 200 to spend + 150 in disadvantages. No real limits but the GM may ask you to redesign something if it is overpowered.

Please see the top post in this thread for other guidelines. :)

10 hours ago, Tjack said:

This sounds really good, but I don’t speak 5e.  I stopped at the big blue book a long time ago and I’m too brain damaged to start learning something new now.  (That’s not just a figure of speech.)

You can build in 4e (BBB is fine!). I will open the door to anyone who wants to build in 4th Edition. I played a lot of tabletop hours (a lot) in 4th so I can do any conversions on my end.