EYG Hero Games Forum NGD Award- Comic Creators

Psybolt

Hey all,

As some of you may know, I run a website called Embrace Your Geekness and at that website, we have a Hall of Fame.  We do a poll every year where we at EYG nominate several items, people, characters, movies etc and the top vote getters are inducted into the EYG Hall of Fame.

This is the EYG Hero Games NGD Award that we do every year (this is the fourth year for this award)

How this works:

I am looking for nominations from the community of NGD for the best comic book artists or comic book writers of all time.

I would ask that you nominate those creators who you think have done enough work that they could be enshrined in the EYG Hall of Fame.  Like the "Greatest rock album" thread and several others that have sprung up on the boards, I will require that those artists/writers be nominated by one poster and seconded by another.

After that, I will take those nominees who have been seconded and place them into a poll.  The top three creators in vote total will be inducted under the "Hero Games Forum NGD Award"

We do have a few comic creators already in the EYG Hall of Fame.  Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Will Eisner, Osamu Tezuka, George Perez, Kurt Busiek, Chris Claremont, Neil Gaiman, Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Shuster & Seigel, Sergio Aragones, Carmine Infantino, Walt Simonson, John Romita Sr., Marv Wolfman, Marie Severin, Roy Thomas, Steve Gerber, and Joe Kubert are already members of the EYG Hall of Fame so I will not take any nominations for them.

I am going to open the nomination and seconding process up and will allow it to run until October 21 at 8 PM Eastern. I will then put up a poll for the NGD to vote for the nominees.

I appreciate your involvement in this process.  The Non-Gaming Discussion board has always been an awesome place with some wonderful people.  I have enjoyed my time here.  That is why I wanted to get the input from you for this award for the EYG Hall of Fame, which is something that I have really been proud of doing these last ten + years.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this process.

Oh, by the way...  please only nominate those individuals who made their fame in the realm of comic books, not comic strips. 

26 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

John Byrne

Bill Willingham

2 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Wally Wood (T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, among others)

Seconded for Byrne, Willingham and Wood--and I will nominate:

William Moulton Marston, the creator of Wonder Woman--perhaps not the first superheroine, but certainly the best known.

Mac Raboy--while he didn't create Captain Marvel Jr., his work on the character truly made him stand out.

Jack Cole, the creator of Plastic Man, one of the most unique heroes to see print on the comics page.

I would make two mangaka nominations.

1. Leiji Matsumoto. His creations include Galaxy Express 999 (a transhumanist saga before transhumanism was even a word), Space Battleship Yamato (aka Star Blazers), and the legendary space pirate Captain Harlock.

2. CLAMP. This four-woman team from Osaka created some of the most memorable works of the period from the '80s to the present, including Magic Knights Rayearth (a brilliant synthesis of magical girls, mecha, and fantasy), X/1999 (a saga about fending off the end of the world that was not ashamed of the deadliness of the situation), Card Captor Sakura (which combined a variant on the magic girl genre with profound -- and occasionally disturbing -- meditations on the nature of love in its different forms), and XXXHolic (and the memorable space-time witch" Yuuko Ichihara).

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I would make two mangaka nominations.

1. Leiji Matsumoto. His creations include Galaxy Express 999 (a transhumanist saga before transhumanism was even a word), Space Battleship Yamato (aka Star Blazers), and the legendary space pirate Captain Harlock.

2. CLAMP. This four-woman team from Osaka created some of the most memorable works of the period from the '80s to the present, including Magic Knights Rayearth (a brilliant synthesis of magical girls, mecha, and fantasy), X/1999 (a saga about fending off the end of the world that was not ashamed of the deadliness of the situation), Card Captor Sakura (which combined a variant on the magic girl genre with profound -- and occasionally disturbing -- meditations on the nature of love in its different forms), and XXXHolic (and the memorable space-time witch" Yuuko Ichihara).

I second Matsumoto, without whom I would never have experienced my first serial episode animated science fiction show based on his work. 

12 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

I would like to nominate what might be the first woman writer in your hall of fame, Gail Simone, for her work on Birds of Prey but also the work for better representation and presentation of women in comics.  Let there be no further need for Refrigerator Monologues.

Doc

Sorry Doc, but Marie Severin is in and she would take that crown for first...

But Gail Simone is a great nomination.

5 hours ago, mattingly said:

I nominate:

Peter David for Hulk, Spidey 2099, and so many others.

Mark Gruenwald, for ten years of Cap, the OHOTMU, DP7 and New Universe, Squadron Supreme, and for holding the Marvel universe together as editor.

I'll second Mark Gruenwald and nominate John Buscema for his work on Conan and The Avengers and David Michelinie fof his work on Iron Man, Spider-man, and Aquaman.