Lord Liaden

Terran Empire plus

On 3/15/2020 at 10:28 PM, Lord Liaden said:

No objection to your disagreeing with me, Duke. :)  I've heard other people express dislike for the unified Hero timeline, but yours is the most intense expression I've come across. I'm curious, is that dislike based on intellectual objection to it, or is it a more instinctive rejection?

For my part, I'm inclined to think of the sci-fi future of the Hero Universe not so much descended from the superhero setting, as the latter representing one small era preceding the former. Given that superhumans disappear in the future, there's no need to refer to or even acknowledge their past existence if using just the space/sci-fi elements. By the Terran Empire period Earth's superhumans are generally regarded as mythic figures with no real basis in fact. OTOH I personally like to draw that historical through-line. It gives me a sense of continuity, and a deep well from which I can draw for plot elements and even characters. But as I mentioned on the Turakian Age thread, my mind likes to find linkages. YMM legimately V. ;)

If you look at, for instance, Marvel Comics, and their main superhero lines, their Conan lines, their Star Wars, and GI Joe/Transformers lines... think about sitting down to play in a Conan-based game and having an insistence that because Marvel had a Conan comic that we're playing in the Marvel Universe.  I wouldn't be able to get that out of my head, and would probably give up on the game, even if this theoretical version of me had thoroughly enjoyed Marvel's Conan comics.  Or sitting down to play in a modern military adventure game and have superheroes be part of the universe, no matter how peripherally, because GI Joe is also a Marvel comic.  

I don't know if that makes any sense the way I've described it, but that's how I feel about it.

When Steve Long was Hero's Line Developer, he seemed to take the attitude that certain features of the unified universe and time line can and should be ignored if they don't fit the style, theme, and/or genre of game you want to play. Take Hudson City. Technically it's on the same modern-day Earth plus superheroes that the Champions Universe books are set in. Yet explicitly, the non-powered criminals and vigilantes based in Hudson don't operate outside the city, and supers from outside don't visit there. No in-setting reason for that is given, but the meta-reason is that HC is designed for modern-day adventure gaming, not supers.

Or how about Steve's small supplement for pulp gaming, Inner-Earth, which lays out a vast subterranean ecosystem and preserve for extinct life forms and cultures, running from South America under the Atlantic to Europe. The book suggests possible linkages to other parts of the Champions Universe, showing I-E is part of the same world. But because it was written for pulp genre gaming, no book in the Champions line makes any reference to it.

38 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

When Steve Long was Hero's Line Developer, he seemed to take the attitude that certain features of the unified universe and time line can and should be ignored if they don't fit the style, theme, and/or genre of game you want to play. Take Hudson City. Technically it's on the same modern-day Earth plus superheroes that the Champions Universe books are set in. Yet explicitly, the non-powered criminals and vigilantes based in Hudson don't operate outside the city, and supers from outside don't visit there. No in-setting reason for that is given, but the meta-reason is that HC is designed for modern-day adventure gaming, not supers.

Pretty much the entire line was written that way. 

For me I used Hudson City for all my games. Champs, Dark Champs, Pulp and so on.  Of all the city books, Hudson City was the only one complete enough to use.  Of the rest I always hoped that they would complete Vibora Bay, but it never happened.

Hudson City though.  That was one of the only modern cities I ever saw for RPG's that was actually usable.  I have used it for everything from Champs to Savage Worlds to Traveller.  Never needed it for Call of Cthulhu since they tend to use real cities. 

What made Hudson City stand out from the rest you ask? The most important ingredient.  It has an actual MAP.