Movies and TV Shows That are Great

Cassandra

2 hours ago, Tjack said:

The last non-B5 thing he did I know of was Changeling, the Angelina Jolie

2017 Red Mars (TV Series) (created by - 1 episode) (pre-production)
- Pilot (2017) ... (creator)
  Sense8 (TV Series) (created by - 24 episodes, 2015 - 2018) (written by - 23 episodes, 2015 - 2017)
- Amor Vincit Omnia (2018) ... (creator)
- You Want a War? (2017) ... (creator) / (written by)
- What Family Actually Means (2017) ... (creator) / (written by)
- All I Want Right Now Is One More Bullet (2017) ... (creator) / (written by)
 2013 World War Z (screen story)
 2013 Thor in the Playroom (Video short) (story - uncredited)
 2012 Underworld Awakening (screenplay)
 2011 Thor (story)
 2010 Babylon 5 X3: Terran Conflict (Video Game) (creator)
 2009 Ninja Assassin (screenplay)
 2008 Changeling (written by)

8 hours ago, csyphrett said:

I always liked the thin man. The summation at dinner has been copied by everyone, but this movie was the first that I remember seeing it used.

CES

After the Thin Man, Shadow of the Thin Man, and Another Thin Man are also very good.

The Masque of the Red Death (1965)

Roger Corman was a legend for making the films he did on such small budgets -- from directing the fantasy comedy The Raven to producing the satiric masterpiece Death Race 2000. But The Masque of the Red Death is probably his masterpiece. An exploration of evil in its many forms, the film benefits from an especially strong performance from Vincent Price as Prospero, a decadent prince whose response to a devastating plague is to lock himself and his upper-class invitees in his opulent castle and leave the rest of his kingdom to rot. (That he shares a name with the mysterious sorcerer of The Tempest is almost certainly not a coincidence.) Prospero revels in his wickedness and causes a great deal of pain as he indulges his twisted whims, even to the point of invoking the Devil to dispose of a rival.

The film incorporates two Poe stories, adding "Hop-Frog" to the film in the subplot of a deformed jester seeking revenge on his upper-class tormentors. 

Veronica Mars was a great TV show.  I loved the characters as well as the plots - especially how each episode generally had it's own separate mystery but also added stuff that fit into the overarching plot for that season.

Not surprisingly, I also enjoyed iZombie, created by the same guy who made Veronica Mars.  More great characters, including some bad guys (like Blaine) you really love to hate (though there were also a few failed attempts there, like Mr. Boss or the food-truck anti-zombie woman whose name I never bothered to remember).

A list of great movies would not be complete without mentioning The Princess Bride.   'Nuff said.

I've always enjoyed My Favorite Year.  Starring Peter O'Toole and Mark Linn-Baker, it's set at a live-TV comedy show with O'Toole being the often-drunk guest host (a swashbuckling actor named Alan Swann) and Linn-Baker the hero-worshiping junior writer (Benji Stone) tasked with riding herd on Swann until the night of the show.  The on-air fight scene at the end is hilariously great, but there are also some wonderful moments throughout, particularly Benji's "silly G**-d***ed hero" speech to Swann.

2 hours ago, Greywind said:

2017 Red Mars (TV Series) (created by - 1 episode) (pre-production)
- Pilot (2017) ... (creator)
  Sense8 (TV Series) (created by - 24 episodes, 2015 - 2018) (written by - 23 episodes, 2015 - 2017)
- Amor Vincit Omnia (2018) ... (creator)
- You Want a War? (2017) ... (creator) / (written by)
- What Family Actually Means (2017) ... (creator) / (written by)
- All I Want Right Now Is One More Bullet (2017) ... (creator) / (written by)
 2013 World War Z (screen story)
 2013 Thor in the Playroom (Video short) (story - uncredited)
 2012 Underworld Awakening (screenplay)
 2011 Thor (story)
 2010 Babylon 5 X3: Terran Conflict (Video Game) (creator)
 2009 Ninja Assassin (screenplay)
 2008 Changeling (written by)

I forgot about Sense8 and I’ll give some of these a try, but I’m still pretty solid on my opinion.  

Oldest great movie I've ever seen? Metropolis by Fritz Lang, an icon of expressionist art in film making. A simplistic moralistic story, and expressionist acting would be considered hopelessly over the top by most movie viewers today; but Lang's visual imagery and camera work are ground-breaking and impactful in a way that's never been matched since.

WKRP in Cincinnati (1978-1982)

This hilarious sitcom not only had a great cast, but proved to be a showcase for Loni Anderson's talents.

and as a reminder of how good this show was

"As God is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Carl Sagan's 1980 PBS series Cosmos.

This was a strong part of why I went to work for NASA as a kid.

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

Batman (1966 film) 'Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!'

That was also the ending of The Dark Knight Rises. :)

2 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I've always enjoyed My Favorite Year.

"I'm not an actor. I'm a MOVIE STAR!"

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

With appropriate respect to Neil deGrasse Tyson, Carl Sagan's 1980 PBS series Cosmos was a masterpiece that I don't believe will ever be equaled. I was about12 years old at the time, and I'd been watching Star Trek reruns for years. But this was something completely different. This was science fact. Beautiful visuals, amazing music, and Carl Sagan unfolding the mysteries of the universe to my eager young mind. This TV series literally changed my life. I don't know if I would be a science teacher had I not seen this when I was young.

Cosmos came out while I was in grad school, my 2nd & 3rd year.  I didn't see all of the series, but it sure put us astronomers in a spotlight.

Almost 40 years later and near the close of my career, I should watch it again and see how much things have changed.  I already know it is ... quite a lot.

6 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Almost 40 years later and near the close of my career, I should watch it again and see how much things have changed.  I already know it is ... quite a lot.

Even considering that the version I have has the "ten years later updates", there is still quite a bit that has changed since then. I can only imagine how Carl Sagan would have felt seeing a photograph of a black hole.

Whatever Carl Sagan's qualities as a scientist -- which I'm not qualified to assess -- he was an exceptional teacher. Sagan had a rare gift to communicate the profoundest concepts in a way any reasonably intelligent person could understand, and in an entertaining fashion. His passion and joy for science shone through his every word and expression, and was remarkably infectious.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Whatever Carl Sagan's qualities as a scientist -- which I'm not qualified to assess -- he was an exceptional teacher. Sagan had a rare gift to communicate the profoundest concepts in a way any reasonably intelligent person could understand, and in an entertaining fashion. His passion and joy for science shone through his every word and expression, and was remarkably infectious.

He had all that without any doubt.  He also had a voice so soothing he could drop a charging Grizzly Bear into hibernation.
      I used to love Sunday afternoons back then. After staying up til dawn from Friday and Saturday nights gaming and still twitching from all the caffeine I’d ingested. I’d get comfy in front of the TV,  turn on PBS to the pledge marathon for the show and just switch off and drift.

16 hours ago, Cassandra said:

After the Thin Man, Shadow of the Thin Man, and Another Thin Man are also very good.

You missed the fifth one. Our heroes visit Nick's parents (which is totally different from the parts of the book I remember), and become embroiled in murder and espionage. At the now customary summation, Nick has all the guests searched and plenty of back up from the local cops. Nora is a little outraged at his spoiling the best part of the case for her

CES

10 hours ago, Cancer said:

Tora! Tora! Tora!  ... History/Biography movie of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

It has been called a history lesson but it is much better than Pearl Harbor.

Again those are real planes and this was a film that would not be made today on health and safety grounds. People were almost killed filming that particularly the scene with the airport being strafed by the Japanese and the fuel truck blowing up.

It also makes the whole thing believeable. The mistakes and second guessing.

It is one of the films I have on DVD and can watch again and again.