Movies and TV Shows That are Great

Cassandra

Jack of All Trades (2000)

Bruce Campbell plays America Secret Agent Jack Stiles who is assigned to work with Emilia Rothschild (Angela Dotchin), a brilliant British Agent and Scientist on a small tropical island in order to stop Napolean from Napoleon from taking over the world.  

The Sting 1973

Two professional con artists join forces to con a mob boss after he has killed the mentor of one who is also the old friend of the other. They set up a complicated con which involves a lot of other con men who want to get even with the mob boss. This film stars Robert Redford and Paul Newman and won best film at the Oscars. The tune The Entertainer by Scott Joplin is one of the best known pieces in the film and is often in Britain used in Snooker programmes.

The Terminator

A cyborg is sent from the future to murder the mother of the resistance leader and a soldier has also sent from the future to stop the cyborg called a Terminator. A chase then ensues with the Terminator and the soldier battling each other in order to save Sarah Connor. The best of the Terminator films as Arnold is a great bad guy. Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn are the star crossed lovers trying to best Arnold. 

I saw T2 in a cinema in America and felt it relied on too many special effects. I just could not get into it. It's a good film but the original is better.

Predator 1987

A military rescue unit who are fooled into trying to recover the missing crew of a helicopter find themselves being hunted by something from another world. Being an Arnold film it has plenty of one liners and a lot of violence. Jessie Ventura, Bill Duke and Carl Weathers stand out in the cast.

Commando 1985

A retired special forces soldier finds out his former unit are being killed before his daughter is kidnapped. He is to go to a South American country and kill the new president whom he helped get into power or his daughter will be killed. He manages to slip off the plane he is supposed to be on and thus has eleven hours to find the people who have his kid. That is how long before the plane lands. This is another Arnold film which has lots of wonderful gratuitous violence including Arnold as the one man army at the end. Instead of the usual cooperate of the hostage dies scenario, Arnold makes a point of not cooperating from the start. The other unusual trait is that you have the impression that Arnold's old unit toppled a right wing government which is unusual for an American stand point 

7 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Commando 1985

A retired special forces soldier finds out his former unit are being killed before his daughter is kidnapped. He is to go to a South American country and kill the new president whom he helped get into power or his daughter will be killed. He manages to slip off the plane he is supposed to be on and thus has eleven hours to find the people who have his kid. That is how long before the plane lands. This is another Arnold film which has lots of wonderful gratuitous violence including Arnold as the one man army at the end. Instead of the usual cooperate of the hostage dies scenario, Arnold makes a point of not cooperating from the start. The other unusual trait is that you have the impression that Arnold's old unit toppled a right wing government which is unusual for an American stand point 

In my high school / early college years I think a friend and I watched this movie 10x or more.  He could do the dialogue for the 1st 15 minutes or more - from memory.

Die Hard 1988

One of the great modern Christmas films despite what some people claim. But it ain't Christmas until Nakatomi Plaza blows up. A police officer from New York jets into Los Angeles to see his estranged wife and his kids over the Christmas holiday. Instead he finds himself trapped in the mostly completed building as a group of terrorists take the place over. This film gleefully skewers the ethics of some members of the media and law enforcement bureaucracy which the terrorists play with. Alan Rickman has a great deal of fun as Hans Gruber the terrorist leader while the film established Bruce Willis as a star. The fact that Bruce is playing a cop enables him to pick up on clues and stay ahead of the bad guys. And to those who say it ain't a Christmas movie consider the fact that husband and wife are reunited at the end in time for holiday.

Watched Stardust last night.  Fun movie, but how to describe it?  A young man (Tristan) crosses a wall into a magical realm to bring a fallen star (which happens to be a woman) back to a woman he thinks he loves, but discovers his actual true love along the way.  Also seeking the fallen star are witches and princes (who are rivals for the thrown after their father dies).  Along the way Tristan encounters sky pirates harvesting lightning, plus the aforementioned witches and princes.  Great performance by Robert DiNiro as Captain Shakespear (arr!), though in my daughter's opinion the best character is the captain's first mate, who does more with his facial expressions and a cleared throat than most actors do with spoken lines. 

4 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Watched Stardust last night.  Fun movie, but how to describe it?  A young man (Tristan) crosses a wall into a magical realm to bring a fallen star (which happens to be a woman) back to a woman he thinks he loves, but discovers his actual true love along the way.  Also seeking the fallen star are witches and princes (who are rivals for the thrown after their father dies).  Along the way Tristan encounters sky pirates harvesting lightning, plus the aforementioned witches and princes.  Great performance by Robert DiNiro as Captain Shakespear (arr!), though in my daughter's opinion the best character is the captain's first mate, who does more with his facial expressions and a cleared throat than most actors do with spoken lines. 

I LOVED that movie and it is not the right tone for me.  In a way that the rare rap or country song will hook me - this movie got me.  It is SO well done.

It's just so well done that I can't not like it.

I first saw Stardust when it was playing on the return leg of a business trip. I glanced up a few times and was like, "Oh, geez. That looks awful" and went back to my laptop. 

But eventually I plugged in my headphones and started listening.

And by the end, I was really enjoying it and wished I hadn't missed the beginning.

So I bought the DVD, then the Blu-Ray when we upgraded to that. We've probably watched the movie a dozen times. It's great every time!

Combat! is a great TV series.

It featured an American infantry squad making its way across Europe. Every hour-long episode features plenty of action and a guest-of-the-week, but the story is always focused on the squad members and their character development.

Truly great stuff.

The Music Man (1962) - A Conman in the early part of the 20th Century finds himself dropping off a small town in Iowa. His mission? To inform folks of the terrible trouble they're in and convince them the only way out is a band for the youth with himself as their musical professor. Of course, as he "Don't know one note of music from the other" it's going to take some fanciful foot work to pull off this scam but his biggest threat is the Librarian Lady who teaches Piano. With colorful characters, scenery chewing done right, and , of course, music, it's a classic for a reason.