Movies and TV Shows That are Great

Cassandra

9 hours ago, Bazza said:

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)

A dark comedy about lowly member of a peerage goes “game of thrones” on his family’s line of succession to rise to the top. Alec Guinness plays a number of roles giving a lesson in disguise & acting. Valerie Hobson & Joan Greenwood also star. 

SCOOPED !

On 10/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, death tribble said:

Kind Hearts and Coronets 1949

Alec Guinness plays nine characters in this dark comedy. Dennis Price plays the son of a disinherited member of an aristocratic family who murders his way to the title in Edwardian England. He writes his memoirs in prison as he is awaiting execution for the murder of one of his victims.   Also contains the deathless line 'I shot an arrow in the air: she fell to earth in Berkeley Square' after Price shoots down the suffragette aristocrat while she is in a balloon over London.

And what is more Bazza gave a like to me posting it.

Blade Runner 1982

Available in several different versions, this is the story of several replicants (bio-engineered humans) who have come back to Earth. Replicants are used in off world colonies and are not allowed on Earth. Blade Runners 'retire' i.e. kill them. A burnt out Blade Runner called Deckard is brought in to find and kill 4 replicants after one killed a Blade Runner who was running an emotional test on him. The Replicants have a limited life span and are looking at ways to extend it. Deckard runs an emotional test on an assistant to the Tyrell Corporation who manufactures the Replicants and finds out she is a Replicant but it took longer to work it out as she has been given memories. A deadly game of cat and mouse then takes pace between the Replicants and the Blade Runner. Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Daryl Hannah. Edward James Olmos and Sean Young star in this Ridley Scott film which heavily influenced Sci Fi with its dark rainy streets. And the memorable dialogue 'Wake up ! Time to Die' plus 'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.'

8 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Blade Runner 1982

Available in several different versions, this is the story of several replicants (bio-engineered humans) who have come back to Earth. Replicants are used in off world colonies and are not allowed on Earth. Blade Runners 'retire' i.e. kill them. A burnt out Blade Runner called Deckard is brought in to find and kill 4 replicants after one killed a Blade Runner who was running an emotional test on him. The Replicants have a limited life span and are looking at ways to extend it. Deckard runs an emotional test on an assistant to the Tyrell Corporation who manufactures the Replicants and finds out she is a Replicant but it took longer to work it out as she has been given memories. A deadly game of cat and mouse then takes pace between the Replicants and the Blade Runner. Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Daryl Hannah. Edward James Olmos and Sean Young star in this Ridley Scott film which heavily influenced Sci Fi with its dark rainy streets. And the memorable dialogue 'Wake up ! Time to Die' plus 'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.'

blade-runner-month-november-2019.jpg

Alien 1979

A distress call awakens the crew of a space tug who investigate and find an alien ship filled with eggs. One of these hatches and attaches itself to one of the crew who brings it back on board the ship. In one of the most shocking scenes in Sci Fi a baby alien emerges from the crewman and hides in the ship prompting the rest of the crew to hunt it and try to kill it. This is another Ridley Scott film and again is highly influential. The design of the creature is something else. And even after repeat viewings it still scares the life out of me. It put Sigourney Weaver on the radar. Also starred Yaphet Kotto, Ian Holm, John Hurt, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton and Tom Skerritt

37 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Blade Runner 1982

Great, if you mean “watching paint dry”. 

On November 8, 2019 at 10:31 AM, Hermit said:

The Music Man (1962) - A Conman in the early part of the 20th Century finds himself dropping off a small town in Iowa. His mission? To inform folks of the terrible trouble they're in and convince them the only way out is a band for the youth with himself as their musical professor. Of course, as he "Don't know one note of music from the other" it's going to take some fanciful foot work to pull off this scam but his biggest threat is the Librarian Lady who teaches Piano. With colorful characters, scenery chewing done right, and , of course, music, it's a classic for a reason. 

I remember watching this in first run. :eek:

19 hours ago, death tribble said:

Blade Runner 1982

18 hours ago, Bazza said:

Great, if you mean “watching paint dry”. 

I've never actually seen Blade Runner, but I wasn't looking for a "watching paint dry" movie.  I'd prefer something along the lines of "watching grass grow". 

We don't appear to have any musicals. Time to remedy that

The Commitments 1991

This is about the formation and disintegration of an Irish soul band in Dublin. It shows to begin with how the various members are chosen for the band and then how the personal dynamics work out. The music is just wonderful culminating in the clip below. It is followed by an epilogue telling what happened to the band members. It was directed by Alan Parker with a cast of vrtual unknowns as the bandmates,

The Blues Brothers 1980

This is one of any Saturday Night Live related movies and arguably this is the best of them. The film concerns the efforts of two brothers to raise money to cover back taxes for the orphanage where they were raised by reuniting the band that they played with. It ends with a large over the top police chase. The film has cameos from notable music icons such as James Brown, John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin.

The movie had the record for the most cars destroyed in the course of a production at 103 for eighteen years. The car chases are funny rather than serious as in Bullitt or Gone in 60 Seconds. The film has retained a cult following.

Leverage (2008-2012)

Tim Hutton is a former insurance investigator who leads a team of criminals including a Grifter (Gina Bellman) a Thief (Beth Riesgraf), a Hacker (Aldis Hodge), and a Hitter (Christian Kane) who steal from corrupt corporate business people and politicians.  Great humor and tons of science fiction references.  

Memento (2000)

Leonard Shelby has this condition. He has amnesia. He can remember who he is (or was) but can't make any new memories.What was his last memory? His wife - dying.

he is trying to find the person who raped and killed his wife. To do this he uses redacted documents, written notes Polaroid pictures and tattoos - and his system.

14 hours ago, death tribble said:

The Blues Brothers 1980

This is one of any Saturday Night Live related movies and arguably this is the best of them. The film concerns the efforts of two brothers to raise money to cover back taxes for the orphanage where they were raised by reuniting the band that they played with. It ends with a large over the top police chase. The film has cameos from notable music icons such as James Brown, John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin.

The movie had the record for the most cars destroyed in the course of a production at 103 for eighteen years. The car chases are funny rather than serious as in Bullitt or Gone in 60 Seconds. The film has retained a cult following.

They were doing one scene where the driving guys were doing 100 + miles an hour and it didn't look cool enough, so they added people to show how fast the blues mobile was going

CES 

21 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Leverage (2008-2012)

Tim Hutton is a former insurance investigator who leads a team of criminals including a Grifter (Gina Bellman) a Thief (Beth Riesgraf), a Hacker (Aldis Hodge), and a Hitter (Christian Kane) who steal from corrupt corporate business people and politicians.  Great humor and tons of science fiction references.  

GREAT Show. One of my favorite series with characters you end up invested in. Lots of rewatchability at our house. The sci fi references are even funnier when you learn that Jonathan Frakes directed more than a few episodes.

Mom. Anna Faris is Christy, a recovering addict single mom struggling to put her life together. Allison Janney is Bonnie, Christy's sharp-witted (and sharp-tongued) recovering addict mother who's trying to be a good mom (and a decent human being) for the first time in her life. The supporting cast includes the members of their 12-step group; a lot of the show's action takes place at and after meetings. Fantastic writing, great chemistry, and superior performances by the actors make this a funny, often irreverent, and sometimes deeply poignant show.

mom-cbs-season-five-cancelled-renewed-59

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

GREAT Show. One of my favorite series with characters you end up invested in. Lots of rewatchability at our house. The sci fi references are even funnier when you learn that Jonathan Frakes directed more than a few episodes.

I have a theory that Parker's first name is Rhonda.