Updating Old Content

Christopher R Taylor

Updating Old Content  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If someone were to update old Champions content, what would you prefer to see done first?

• Modules and adventures
    • Sourcebooks (Champions in 3D, Mystic Masters)
    • Multimedia (Maps, Cardboard Heroes)
    • Collections of Villains and NPCs

I would like to see Walter Louis "officializify" his "Viper: to Build a Better You"  Adventure.  It deserves it.

I would like to see Robot Warriors and Robot Gladiators reworked into a stand-alone game.  

I would like to see Super Agents worked into a stand-alone game.

As far as bringing the really old stuff forward....   Maybe update "To Serve and Protect,"  "The Coriolis Effect,"  and maybe "Demons Rule."  Maybe.  And decidedly both Foxbat books; he seems to be as much a part of the game's identity as is Seeker's tendency to get trashed on book covers.  Most importantly, though, is making sure that CLOWN dies forever in the fires of a nuclear explosion.

The whole thing about "updating old school adventures" is how unnecessary it is.  If you just _have_ to have 6e overbuilt characters, then update the characters.  That's all it takes.

As far as old Enemies books, well Greg's doing a solid job on that already, two or four guys at a time.

So that leaves new stuff, period. New stuff for whatever edition you preferred, or for all editions.  But that's what we need more than new versions of already-compatible material.

For what it’s worth I’ve always considered Hero’s Games strong point was it’s versatility.  You folks were the D20 system twenty years before anybody else thought of it.  GURPS came close to the flexibility players wanted and definitely had the corner on the official sourcebook market but was too complex to just pick up and go. You had the game that could be learned in a night and played for a decade.  
     In a situation where people are going to come to you having learned or at least be familiar with the rules,  in my most humble and abject opinion you want to show them how this system will let them run or run in the game they’ve always wanted.  
   That means Sourcebooks.

41 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Haven’t they always contained those?

Nope,  actual complete adventures died out for Hero years ago. 

At most you have some adventure hooks or perhaps a detailed frame.

Nothing remotely useful for actually allowing new players and GM's to play a full game and experience first hand how all the widgets go together and actually work in play. 

I'm in the "old adventures" camp myself.  Even though they are fairly compatible, they are out of print and difficult to find.  New editions specifically for the latest version of Hero would make it much, much easier for Champions GMs to get a game started.  Game companies claim that modules don't sell enough to be worth their while but that's a fallacy: its not very easy to play your game if all you have are rules.

Plus: once everyone has bought the rules that are going to, your revenue stream stops.  Adventures are a continual source of money that you can keep publishing.  And unlike "splat books" they don't tend to ruin the game or turn into crass exploitation.  People like modules.  Even if they never run modules, they collect 'em.

10 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

ame companies claim that modules don't sell enough to be worth their while but that's a fallacy: its not very easy to play your game if all you have are rules.

I'd like this, but apparently there is a daily limit to reactions. Who'd a thunk it?

The big advantage of rebuilding old scenarios is that its a heck of a lot less work than the sourcebooks.  I'd love someone to rebuild Kingdom of Champions but things have changed so much it would take an insider to straighten it all out, then probably protesters would show up and block traffic or something

On 10/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, Greywind said:

No. Sometimes the adventures got away. Kind of how Viper creations turn on them and become independent villains or heroes.

You'd think VIPER would have developed a strong distaste for creating weapons they cannot control. To continue doing so after desertion/betrayal happens time and time again is not exactly a brilliant strategic plan. And that's why VIPER is not taken as seriously as it deserves to be as a threat.

And with their resources and influence VIPER should be a threat. Taking on massive global conspiracies capable of turning random people into supervillains (especially if they can make or keep them loyal) is something even superheroes shouldn't take lightly. And VIPER doesn;t need to rob banks -- if anything, they may own banks.

Right, the franchise system makes Viper incredibly uneven and unpredictable.  One nest leader may be focused on financial crimes and have mostly accountants and hackers.  Another might have dreams of glory and tries to take over the world.  A third is a mad scientist who uses Viper resources to experiment, creating mistakes and enemies.

I think if Champions was a comic book setting, there would have to be a team made up of all ex-Viper people, funded by a repentant ex-Nest leader.  Their main enemy would be Viper.  I made a hero who was basically a Viper agent who turned on them, stealing all their best tech.  He'd do raids on Viper for more gear or ammo, etc.  Wore a red and blue Viper armored costume, trained heavily in martial arts and with weapons, etc.