X of Holding

iamlibertarian

5th Ed (Ultimate SuperMage)  had a way to make bags of holding and the like. Is there a way in 6th Ed, using Transform, to make a bag of holding or the like using Transform? Like using Transform with Transdimensional to make a pocket dimension in which things can be stored, and moved around the 'normal plane' carried by the user?

Thanks!

In the Advanced Player's Guide 2 pages 27-28 is the power Extradimentinal Spaces. It is an optional power which is used to simulate just that. It cost a base 5 Character Points to have a 1 cubic meter storage space, and it can be expanded (x2 volume) per +5 CP.

It can easily be added with Object Creation, pages 32-34 of the same book. The "Object Creation" simulates various rather normal objects stored away, and can be put back into storage without eating up space.

Thanks everyone for the very useful info. But, of course, it leads to additional questions.

1) Using Extradimensional Space, is there a reasonable way to use Hero Designer 6 to make it happen? (Since I am using that to build the rest of the character.)

2) If not, do you think there is a reasonable way to do this using Transform (Transdimensional)? I only ask because the character concept is strictly a 'reality bender' using Transform powers only. If not, it really isn't that important to the character concept to have this power. It just seems cool to be able to Transform say, a Suitcase into a Suitcase of Holding. So the power Stretching is out (like they did in 5th Edition)

Like, since Transform can technically add powers: Could it be something like Transform Suitcase into Suitcase with Extradimensional Space or Extradimensional Movement, with appropriate advantages and limitations?

Thanks! DC :)

Edited by iamlibertarian
Add additional thoughts

For example: Transform Suitcase to Suitcase of Holding - Severe Transform: (adding powers) Transdimensional to create a pocket dimension, by creating the item with the power Extradimensional Movement (as mentioned above) to put things in, and Stretching Transdimensional (also as above)  UAA (or UBO since it can't be used as any form of attack) to pull things out?

-----

Or: Transform Suitcase to Suitcase of Holding - Severe Transform: (adding powers) Transdimensional to create a pocket dimension, by creating the item with the power Extradimensional Space, then creating the Extradimensional Space with details (such as the only 'normal' way in and out is through the opening of the suitcase, paying for the amount of space inside, the 'atmosphere' of the pocket dimension, etc.). Then basing the BODY of the space on the usual 'each 15 pts of active cost = 1 BODY?

-----
Now that I have re-looked at Object Creation (APG2 36), it seems to fit directly into the Transform power category (as well as Summon, if I were creating a Summoner).

What do you think of this:

*Object Creation: Suitcase (or whatever) of Holding:
*+20 Custom Adder to create extremely complex objects (Normal Earth air, gravity, etc.)

*+20 Custom Adder for +4 cubic meters in size
*Transdimensional
*UBO (not UAA since it cannot be used as an attack)

The only problem with this is that Transform itself could no longer be used to create objects 'out of thin air' requiring a severe change to the current concept of the rest of the character.

Thanks again!

Edited by iamlibertarian
Clarification

Back in the 4e era, there was something I referred to as "The Trifecta of Cobble.". The Trifecta was (clearly, and it was a "Trifecta") three powers that could be used to kludge anything:

Desolidification, Extra-dimensional Movement, and Transform. 

Desolid was used for any kind of defense:  Desolidification: only versus damage

EDM was used to warp reality any way you want: EDM: move team to the dimension where we won this fight without even trying

And Transform was used to fill in the gaps.  Why Heal him when you can transform him into "the same guy in perfect health with double the dice in all his powers"? 

That being said, I would suggest, respectfully, that you double-check your concept and be certain that you are not confusing game effects with special effects: just because the game effects say Stretching doesn't mean that he isn't warping reality; it doesn't even mean that he _is_ Stretching.  It just means that the game effect (the mechanic) has an end result that is best modeled using the mechanic of Stretching. 

13 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

"That being said, I would suggest, respectfully, that you double-check your concept and be certain that you are not confusing game effects with special effects: just because the game effects say Stretching doesn't mean that he isn't warping reality; it doesn't even mean that he _is_ Stretching.  It just means that the game effect (the mechanic) has an end result that is best modeled using the mechanic of Stretching."

What you say makes good sense (though the part of the reply I didn't quote, 6th Ed seems to rule out with the cannot duplicate other powers concept, such as same guy in perfect health duplicates Healing).

However, what I failed to include before is that I am using a Transform/Summon/Multiform VPP which has the limitation: Limited Power, only Transform, Multiform, Summon. So IF there is a way to do it with Transform (the key power of those three for this character), I would like to find it...but if not, again this specific power (X of Holding) isn't really fundamental to this particular character creation. I just find it another 'cool use of the character'.

Here's what the Closet spell looks like

CLOSET

EFFECT: Stores materials for later retrieval

Active Cost: 6                                                      Range: no

Real Cost: 1                                                         Gesture: yes

Spell Roll: -1                                                         Incantation: yes

END Cost: (2)                                                       Side Effect: no

Casting Time: minute                                         Concentrate: ½ DCV

Focus: no

The mage is able to place items into a dimensional pocket with this spell, a safe place away from this world which only they can access.  The Closet remains available as long as the caster maintains the spell, but if it ever is disrupted or ended, all the contents immediately are ejected in the vicinity of the caster.

Closet is built on the power Extradimensional Space which is given in the Advanced Player’s Guide II.  This is a persistent power and the user always knows what is in their Closet and can see into it.

POWERS: Extradimensional Space 1 cubic meter

MODIFIERS: Costs END Only to Start (+¼); Bonus (-1), Extra Time One Minute (-1½), Gesture (-¼), Incantation (-¼), Concentrate ½ DCV (-¼), Costs END (-½), Only inanimate objects (-½) [+¼; -4¼]