What happened to HERO?

Tywyll

I'm not going to rehash anything in this particular thread, but I started a new discussion related to this ongoing debate. 

I'd love to hear from those of you who've been participating in this discussion and others like it. It's my latest attempt at trying to assemble a lot of the ideas that have been floating around for a while.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:23 AM, zslane said:

Spells can/should be listed on the character sheet by name only. 

One thing that bugs me with the evolution of HERO is the tendency to write everything in long form. The propension to write technology as powers and vehicles as characters (including all the advantages and limitations) seems to have increased and it kind of kills my ability to immerse into a setting.

Now I’m wondering, are there ANY Hero System sixth edition games playing out on YouTube? Ongoing committed games as opposed to quick one shots?

I’m personally running games for new learners on a big rpg play by post forum and get a decent trickle of people who heard of the game and want to try it out. I end up making their characters with their input throughout the process and let them learn through playing. 

To be honest I don’t own Champions complete, just the two big volumes of Hero System, and some players have expressed some frustration with the smaller selection of options and the examples they seem to have in the “Complete “ books.

Also it would be SO helpful if we could get a mobile app version and or browser based version of Hero Designer.

3 hours ago, Kaze9999 said:

some players have expressed some frustration with the smaller selection of options and the examples they seem to have in the “Complete “ books.

I'd say that Champions Complete plus one of the villain volumes provides more than enough "options and examples" for any new player to get started. Just like Champions 2nd edition + Enemies (the first one) had more than enough examples for us newbies to get started back in 1982. So maybe the only thing you're missing is the first 6e Villains book?

Moreover, mobile apps and special software shouldn't be necessary. A character sheet, a pencil, and a simple desk calculator is sufficient for this game. I mean, I realize that 5e and 6e blundered the presentation of the game system so badly that it seems like a computer is required in order to make characters and play the game, but I assure you that isn't really the case.

4 hours ago, Kaze9999 said:

Also it would be SO helpful if we could get a mobile app version and or browser based version of Hero Designer.

I get you want shiny tools like other systems have but they don't come from a vacuum.  Someone has to build them and HERO isn't exactly flush with cash to pay developers for their (expensive) time.  I can't speak for the other software devs who have products out there but I certainly don't make money off my project... and to be brutally honest if I wanted to make money off an app I would target a community much bigger and active than HERO.  I lose money on my hobby project because of things like Apple developer fees, my actual hourly rate,  and tool costs etc... but I never set out to make money of this endeavor.

That said I've been eyeballing this project which claims to be able to turn my app into a webapp with little effort on my part.  Could be a fun little side project but then there's additional costs on my part for things like domain registration and hosting fees.