Crisis on Infinite Earths

Cassandra

The big Arrowverse crossover this year is The Crisis on Infinite Earths, based on the 1985 DC Comics mini-series. 

Oliver Queen is doomed, because Arrow has been cancelled.

The Flash will die, but somehow cheat death.*

Will this be the greatest TV superhero show in history, or will we be disappointed?

*Told you so.

I'm conflicted.  On the one hand it would be a good thing if they brought back the Multi-verse, but on the other hand Wil Wheaton was wiped out of existence.

Don't pretend you weren't thinking it.

The original mini-series was designed to bring all of DC's characters onto a single Earth.  This required the elimination of a number of characters (Supergirl, Flash, Huntress, Aquagirl, etc.) and revising the entire history of the DC Universe.  They were going for a single continuity along the lines of what Marvel was known for back then.

Of course, it failed. 

The new versions of classic characters like Green Arrow, Wildcat, Dr. Mid-Nite, and Johnny Thunder were not embraced by the readers, and some of the changes seemed unnecessary like Black Canary's track suit instead of her fishnets and leather jacket.  In the 34 years since the Crisis DC has had to reboot it's universe more times then General Hospital has had actresses who played Carly, and the point was as hard to find as Heather Langekamp is Star Trek Into Darkness.*  (Stop me before I sub-reference again).

*I will continue to use this joke until I get a laugh.le

The best case scenario here is that Supergirl ends up on the same Earth as The Flash.  That's pretty much it.  So far this Crisis has cost the Arrowverse Harrison Wells and Jesse Quick from Earth 2, oh and Earth 2 as well.  And lets face it, a cosmic being who needs anyone to help him collect items and people and who plays coy with what's really going in is just a plot device.  It has inspire me to create a villain who has high defenses and teleport but with no offensive powers, just a Persuasion roll of 18-.

This is Cassandra saying Good Night, and I told you so.

13 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Oliver Queen is doomed, because Arrow has been cancelled.

From Stephen Amell:

"Towards the end of season 6, I approached Greg Berlanti, who I will be thanking in a second, and said that I thought both personally and professionally that, at the end of my commitment this coming season, it would be the best for me to move on."

"I've always been a fan of television shows that, not only don't overstay their welcome, but end in a manner that really packs a punch."

Stephen also hinted that his family obligations had informed his decision to bow out.

"A large part of this decision being that I am now a father and a husband. And a lot of my life and interests don't really reside in Vancouver anymore."

15 hours ago, Cassandra said:

The original mini-series was designed to bring all of DC's characters onto a single Earth.  This required the elimination of a number of characters (Supergirl, Flash, Huntress, Aquagirl, etc.) and revising the entire history of the DC Universe.  They were going for a single continuity along the lines of what Marvel was known for back then.

Of course, it failed. 

The new versions of classic characters like Green Arrow, Wildcat, Dr. Mid-Nite, and Johnny Thunder were not embraced by the readers, and some of the changes seemed unnecessary like Black Canary's track suit instead of her fishnets and leather jacket.  In the 34 years since the Crisis DC has had to reboot it's universe more times then General Hospital has had actresses who played Carly, and the point was as hard to find as Heather Langekamp is Star Trek Into Darkness.*  (Stop me before I sub-reference again).

*I will continue to use this joke until I get a laugh.le

The best case scenario here is that Supergirl ends up on the same Earth as The Flash.  That's pretty much it.  So far this Crisis has cost the Arrowverse Harrison Wells and Jesse Quick from Earth 2, oh and Earth 2 as well.  And lets face it, a cosmic being who needs anyone to help him collect items and people and who plays coy with what's really going in is just a plot device.  It has inspire me to create a villain who has high defenses and teleport but with no offensive powers, just a Persuasion roll of 18-.

This is Cassandra saying Good Night, and I told you so.

While the attempt to consolidate DC history into one timeline did not work out, I seem to recall the the original Crisis did reinvigorate a lot of DC's creative teams and I think the work turned out in the first few years following Crisis was much more interesting than the work that had preceded it.  

And we don't know for sure if Jesse and Harrison Wells of Earth 2 were killed or not. I believe the last we heard of Jesse was that she was filling in Jay on Earth 3. 

Isn't the best case scenario that we get entertaining TV out of the crossover?  After all, that's all any of this is. Entertainment. 

Arrow's previous season finale showed the Monitor meeting Felicity several years in the future, and taking her to Oliver.  It implied that she would die in the process, as she wouldn't be able to come back.  In the comic version of Crisis, the Monitor dies.

My prediction:  That wasn't the Monitor meeting Felicity.  My guess is that the Monitor dies during Crisis and Oliver takes his place, keeping it secret so his family and friends wouldn't be targeted.  It would be the only way Oliver can get a happy ending.

We can all come back to this thread in a few months and laugh about how I got this wrong...

14 hours ago, Fedifensor said:

Arrow's previous season finale showed the Monitor meeting Felicity several years in the future, and taking her to Oliver.  It implied that she would die in the process, as she wouldn't be able to come back.  In the comic version of Crisis, the Monitor dies.

My prediction:  That wasn't the Monitor meeting Felicity.  My guess is that the Monitor dies during Crisis and Oliver takes his place, keeping it secret so his family and friends wouldn't be targeted.  It would be the only way Oliver can get a happy ending.

We can all come back to this thread in a few months and laugh about how I got this wrong...

Perhaps. I was assuming that Ollie and Felicity end up in a pocket dimension for some reason, similar to Earth 2 Superman and Lois in the COIE comic. This is based on the idea that like Earth 2 Superman, Ollie is the first hero of his universe. 

On 10/30/2019 at 11:12 AM, Cassandra said:

I figured it out.  Last year Barry and Oliver traded places and Oliver became the Flash, so he will do so again allowing the real Flash to survive the Crisis.

This was my thought as well.

Another thought I had was that Cisco didn't really leave the super regeneration cure out for Barry to find so easily, but a decoy and that he has hidden the real super regeneration serum somewhere else.

37 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

This was my thought as well.

Another thought I had was that Cisco didn't really leave the super regeneration cure out for Barry to find so easily, but a decoy and that he has hidden the real super regeneration serum somewhere else.

That might be why it didn't work on the zombie guy (the villains are Flash are so dull I can't even remember their names anymore).

On 10/26/2019 at 12:25 PM, rjcurrie said:

While the attempt to consolidate DC history into one timeline did not work out, I seem to recall the the original Crisis did reinvigorate a lot of DC's creative teams and I think the work turned out in the first few years following Crisis was much more interesting than the work that had preceded it.  

And we don't know for sure if Jesse and Harrison Wells of Earth 2 were killed or not. I believe the last we heard of Jesse was that she was filling in Jay on Earth 3. 

Isn't the best case scenario that we get entertaining TV out of the crossover?  After all, that's all any of this is. Entertainment. 

Biggest problem that DC has with their reboots, especially since that first one which was pretty good, is that they can't seem to go all out in it. Writers come in, and rather then rein them in, the writers want to have their cake and eat it too, wanting a reboot BUT wanting to use big events in the DC history (like Killing Joke or Death of Superman). If they are going to reboot at somepoint, then you have to sell out and say" "none of that has happened in this universe, don't reference it".

On 10/31/2019 at 2:32 PM, slikmar said:

Biggest problem that DC has with their reboots, especially since that first one which was pretty good, is that they can't seem to go all out in it. Writers come in, and rather then rein them in, the writers want to have their cake and eat it too, wanting a reboot BUT wanting to use big events in the DC history (like Killing Joke or Death of Superman). If they are going to reboot at somepoint, then you have to sell out and say" "none of that has happened in this universe, don't reference it".

Or fans need to be less anal retentive about continuity.