Communicate with future and past self

specks

If I'm not mistaken, Clairsentience, in the write up, specifically mentions it's usage across time as well as space.

Mind Link is a communication method of sorts.  It's not exactly telepathy, but it lets mind-linked people be aware of each other, understand and intuit each other, etc.  There are likely other vagaries I have forgotten or that have varied through editions.

So the decision, I think, should first consider what the goal of this power is.  Do you want to observe yourself throughout the time line, or do you want to sort of communicate with yourself throughout the timeline?

There was a thread some time back about sharing your perceptions-- what you were seeing at that moment-- with another character.  Perhaps you wish to do something like that.  If that's the case-- while there was no complete consensus-- the general ideas gleaned from it were a combination of both perceptive and communicatory powers, each selected based on how you ultimately perceived the power working: are you simply using his perceptive abilities from his point of view, or are you specifically perceiving what he is perceiving?

Now you said this:

16 hours ago, specks said:

I need help in building a character who can see. hear, smell, etc...

For future self, that could be accomplished with little more than eidetic memory.

16 hours ago, specks said:

with his future and past self simultaneously.

:lol:   it would sort of have to be.  :D

Good luck with it!

Duke

Are you asking as a player or GM?

As a player, I would ask your GM if its okay first.Pre- and Post- Cognition screws up a lot of plots.  If they are okay with it, the eidetic memory would work for past while danger sense would help for future.  Clairsentience sounds fine for future sight but it depends on how he sees the future.  Is it like he remembers all the future events, which would be more of a skill type effect or that he actually sees them at the same time which sensory wise might mean he vulnerable to mental illusions.  Also, is it a set point in the future and past, or does he see all timelines future and past?  Again, that seems pretty incapacitating to me, not know what images are, was, will be real.

As a GM, just give them the combat abilities as related to what might come up in combat, and just give them what ever they need to know or have as a role playing situation.  As GM, you are not constricted by points on a character but you do have to make it relatively fair.  i.e. Your villain can't waste a player in a phase and take no damage from their attacks unless its someone like Galactus or a Celestial who they shouldn't be fighting.

As others have asked, what actual effect would this have in the game? Is it a benefit somehow? You only mention access to the senses of the other selves, not memories or knowledge or anything. Because it seems like it would be a major disadvantage most of the time.

For example, Past Self is in a major super powered fight so all the sensory info is loud noise, explosions, screams and shouts. At the same time Future Self is looking for a villain in the sewers and the main sensory information is darkness and over-powering bad smells. That's a lot of distractions for the current character to sort through/ignore while trying to do anything in the present. 

This concept was used in The Watchmen with Doctor Manhattan but while he seemed to know what was going to happen he couldn't react to it until it did. 

They did that a lot in Babylon 5, the best example was "You will be Emperor as well."

I echo the question "what game effects will this have?".  Can you reach back and provide winning lottery numbers, warn yourself about a trap or a bad marriage, or do 300 hours of research to reach back and give your past self instant answers?  Can your past self disarm the bomb two hours ago, before the Bad Guy threatening the city now even shows his face?  Do you know this is your last stand as you cannot reach a future self?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 1:46 PM, specks said:

I need help in building a character who can see. hear, smell, etc... with his future and past self simultaneously.

Okay, I'm a bit confused by your wording.  Do you mean:

1. The character in the present can receive information from his future self.
  2. The character in the present can receive information from his past self.
  3. The character in the present can receive information from both his future and past selves.
  4. The character can transmit information to his past self which his past self can then act on and alter the future.

#1 is a special effect of Clairsentience (Precognition) with the relevant senses.

#2 is a special effect of Eidetic Memory (which automatically includes all senses).

#3 is both #1 and #2

#4 is potentially game-breaking and would not be allowed by any sane GM who isn't explicitly running a Time Travel campaign.  That is a can opener built for the largest can of worms you can imagine.  It would be a special effect of Extra-Dimensional Movement (Time Travel) with the limitations Only Within Own Timeline and Cannot Carry Equipment, maybe linked to a Shapeshift or even a Transformation depending on how radically different the present hero is from the past hero.

#1-3 are easy to do, and #4 you probably shouldn't even try.