Variable (Special) Effect Adjustment Powers

Phantasma

Question

On page 55 of the Advanced Player's Guide, there is an Advantage option for granting Adjustment Powers the ability to affect multiple special effects. The text implies you would need to take both Variable Effect and Variable Special Effect to do this, however, in the example, AquaChimp does not have Variable Effect as a separate power, only this alternate use of Variable Special Effects at the 1/2 level. Is that example correct?

Also, Variable Special Effect usually changes your own power's special effect, but here it seems to be changing which special effect your power can affect. I would think this should be Variable Effect instead. Is this correct, and if so, how does this work?

Finally, could this be used with Suppress to affect multiple special effects at the same time, provided they are each targeted by separate instances of the power?

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

My apologies for taking so long to respond to your question — real life snuck up on me and got in a Surprise attacking, Knocking me Out for several Segments until I could recover. ;)

1. That’s an error on my part; AquaChimp has to have Variable Effect too, as discussed in the main text. I’ll note that in the errata. Thanx for the catch!

2.  This is a classic example of me being a damned idiot. I accidentally gave the new Advantage on APG 55 the same name as the Advantage on 6E1 362, thus confusing you. Change the name of the new Advantage on APG 55 to Varying Special Effects to avoid this. Another one for the errata page. ::sigh::

3. Sure — Varying Special Effects is an Advantage for Adjustment Powers, and Suppress is an Adjustment Power.