Hall of Champions Open For Heroes

Jason S.Walters

The Hall of Champions community content program is now on line! If you wish to contribute to it, please go to DriveThruRPG, log into your account, to go your account page, and then after logging in go to "My Content" select  Enter New Community Created Title. On the next page from that there will be a drop down menu so they can select the  Hero Games Hall of Champions program.

And for more information here:

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I look forward on working with you all through this program in the years to come. 

Jason Walters, Publisher 

HeroGamesHoC-Square.thumb.png.03d75598cecc0002e0d4a087abaf3f6e.png

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the Hall of Champions logo to be found? I can't find where to download it from the community page.

Is there any prohibition about publishing characters that I've published for other systems? The info on the community page isn't really clear on that (at least it isn't to me)

Did you try right-clicking on the Hall of Champions logo and using "Save image as . . . " (or your browser's equivalent) from the https://www.drivethrurpg.com/cc/28/hall-of-champions link?  It saves as 96 dpi for me.

As to your second question--the guidelines and types of content information seem to indicate that you can publish characters that you created for other systems--as long as you retained the rights to them.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me.  I base this opinion on these lines:

From the "What Types of Content Can I Create?" section:  "Characters: Now you can sell the villains, monsters, gods, animals, and heroes you’ve cleverly created!"

From the "What Types of Content Are Forbidden?" section:  "Other People’s IP: You do not have permission (or we the right) to release work based on the intellectual property of other people or companies as part of Hall of Champions. If you wish to for example show other fans your Champions 6th Edition write up of DC Comic’s character Green Lantern, please do so FOR FREE on the Hero Games website forums (https://www.herogames.com/forums/) or in some other location. But not here!

So, being that I speak Adobe and being that I have some skillz (lulz), I would like to make an offer to ALL Hall of Champions participants. I am happy to help create high quality covers, previews and final products for upload.

For free.

I've seen a ton of shout outs on Facebook and the covers are blurry and terrible (I mean no offense...). I would like to level-up our social media presence and this will go a long way towards making it all look "more shiny".

I can also create FB sized previews that fit better (also Instagram and Twitter), so you can ensure your product puts its best foot forward (we can forward these to Jason if he's cool with that...).

Hit me via DM or email me directly at trechriron (with at) gmail (dot commage)

(My final goal would be to create some templates and scripts to help auto generate this in the future.)

On 12/3/2019 at 9:22 AM, Rails said:

Did you try right-clicking on the Hall of Champions logo and using "Save image as . . . " (or your browser's equivalent) from the https://www.drivethrurpg.com/cc/28/hall-of-champions link?  It saves as 96 dpi for me.

I did. However, other companies provide a higher quality logo, so I figured Hero would do the same. 96 isn't exactly high quality, which I figured they'd want products to have

As to your second question--the guidelines and types of content information seem to indicate that you can publish characters that you created for other systems--as long as you retained the rights to them.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me.  I base this opinion on these lines:

From the "What Types of Content Can I Create?" section:  "Characters: Now you can sell the villains, monsters, gods, animals, and heroes you’ve cleverly created!"

That's just the blurb on the community page. My concern is how the terms affect using my own IP outside of Hall of Champions. As someone pointed out on another forum, the wording of the agreement allows others to use your IP, which is a no go for me. As of last week, the agreement states:

5. Rights You Grant to OBS

(a) No Reversion. Due to our licensing arrangement with the Owner and the collaborative nature of the Program, you are granting us broad licenses in your Work and your User Generated Content included in your Work, and the rights to your Work will not be reverted once it is published in the Program. You will have the ability through online tools at OBS websites to stop public display and sale of your Work on OBS marketplaces, but not to stop the sale of works of other authors in the Program even when such works use your User Generated Content that you originally created in your Work and thereby became part of the Program IP for other authors to use.

(b) Exclusive License to your Work. Effective as of the date you setup your Work through the Program on OBS’s website, you grant us the exclusive, irrevocable license for the full term of copyright protection available (including renewals), to develop,license, reproduce, print, publish, distribute, translate, display, publicly perform and transmit your Work, in whole and in part, in each country in the world, in all languages and formats, and by all means now known or later developed, and the right to prepare derivative works of your Work.

(c) Exclusive License to all User Generated Content in your Work. Effective as of the date we first make your Work available through the Program, you grant us the exclusive, irrevocable license for the full term of copyright protection available (including renewals), to all User Generated Content included in your Work. You agree that the User Generated Content is available for unrestricted use by us without any additional compensation, notification or attribution, including that we may allow other Program authors, the Owner and other third parties to use the User Generated Content.

In other words, you can't use your own IP with other systems. Since I all ready have, that means either I can't use it with Hall of Champions, or I have to take down the other products (which I'm not going to do). it also grants others to use your material, not just what Hero products you can tap into

The only company that doesn't do this with their CCP is Genysys Foundry, whose terms state

4. Rights Granted to You.
(a) Subject to your compliance with the terms of this Agreement, OBS grants you the limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable, personal, worldwide and revocable right to use and otherwise incorporate Owner’s IP into your Work(s) for distribution through the Program only.

(b) Except for short promotional excerpts used to promote your Work, you may not display, recreate, publish, distribute or sell your Work (or derivatives thereof that are not exclusively your own User Generated Content) outside of the Program administered on OBS websites or through other platforms or channels authorized or offered by The Owners.

(c) You retain full ownership of your User Generated Content created through the Program. You may reuse and license your User Generated Content as long as you do not violate or infringe upon the Owner IP or other authors in the Program.

(d) These rights are granted solely for the purpose of your participation in the Program and no other rights to Owner IP or Program IP is granted or created through this Agreement.

5. Rights You Grant to OBS and The Owners

(a) No Reversion. You are granting us broad licenses in your Work, and the rights to your Work will not be reverted once it is published in the Program. You will have the ability through online tools at OBS websites to stop further public sale of your Work on OBS marketplaces (though customers who already purchased digital download copies will continue to have access to the purchased Work), but not to stop the sale of works of other authors in the Program including when such works use your User Generated Content as long as you have previously agreed or consented to such use.

(b) Exclusive License to your Work. Effective as of the date we first make your Work available through the Program and as long as the Work remains in the Program, you grant us the exclusive, irrevocable license for the full term of copyright protection available (including renewals), to all User Generated Content included in your Work for use by us in the Program and fulfilling this Agreement without any additional compensation, notification or attribution beyond the obligations in Section 7.

The person who posted this on another forum stated Jason was going to change it to be more in line with Genysys Foundry's terms. If someone whose posted to Hall of Champions can confirm that it was changed, that would remove any concerns I have. I know it's not a big deal for many who use HoC, but for someone like me (who releases product for multiple systems), it is (because of the limitations most CCP have)