dsatow

Dundracon 2020: The San Ramon Farewell

FYI: Dundracon runs games in sessions from P(pre con official start) to 1(100s) to 8(100s).  Teen Friendly means that people under the age of 18 are welcome (no harsh language or sexual situations).

Mainstream = PG.  Family = G.  Mature Themes = R.

Schedule as it currently stands

P01 Beware the Shadow of La Sombra
Only available via On-line Pre-registration
Friday Noon in 143 for 8 hours
Room Map
GM: Jim Puder
Type: RPG
System: Hero 5th edition (Champions)
Edition: 4th & 5th
Players: 6
Provided: Players provide their own characters
Power Level: 10-12 DC, 5-7 Speed, 25-33 PD/ED, 8 - 11 CVs
Variations: Find weakness 2x max, No speed chart
Rules Knowledge: Useful
Game Content: Mainstream
La Sombra, the master of shadows, has returned. He has delivered an ultimatum to the UN that all nations must pay him a tithe, or he will turn the shadows created by people and objects against the nation's population. Can you stop his nefarious plot?

111 Who Said Fun Land is Fun?
Friday 8 PM in 152 for 8 hours
Room Map
GM: Maria Caballero
Players: 8
Provided: Characters may be provided by GM
Power Level: 60 active pt attacks (max 50 OK) CV 8-10 mutants
Mutants are missing. They all have one thing in common, they went to Fun Land.

209 Lost Anthem
Saturday 8 AM in 161 for 8 hours
Room Map
GM: David Rakonitz
System: Hero pre-5th edition (Champions)
Edition: 4th
Power Level: Max 60 pt attacks, max 33 PD/ED
Variations: some 5th ed; otherwise minor
With her protector in the hospital, the superhero Anthem needs your help. Race around the globe to stop the Eternal President's scheme to make his past our future.

318 Los Campeones de la Justicia contra la Maldici?n de la Momia (Teen Friendly)
Saturday 4 PM in 338 for 8 hours
Room Map
GM: Vernon Putman
Provided: All characters provided by GM
Power Level: medium
Variations: Super powered Luchadores
Rules Knowledge: Beginners Welcome
The Champions of Justice vs. The Mummy's Curse! Luchahotep, the Egyptian god of masked Mexican wrestlers has made himself known. Though the Technicos may have defeated the Martians for now, Luchahotep has more plans than was revealed in the contest of planets.

516 Trenchcoat Brigade: The Long Undreamed Future
Sunday 10 AM in 161 for 8 hours
Room Map
GM: Joe Di Lellio
Provided: Players provide their own characters
Power Level: 8-12 DC; appropriatee CVs/defenses
Variations: minor imports from 4th ed.
Rules Knowledge: Expected
Game Content: Mature Themes
The voice quavers, an odd mash and cacophony of male & female, young & old. Please... help me... for I do not wish to awaken but the world intrudes?

For more world info for both the Trenchcoat Brigade as well as my y2kFuture campaigns, see the link below.

611 Space Nazis from the Moon
Sunday 4 PM in 149 for 8 hours
Room Map
GM: Don Satow
System: Hero 6th edition
Edition: 5th & 6th
Power Level: 12 DC, 8 CVs, 5 Spd
Variations: No Find Weakness/Lack of Weakness
Space Nazis from the Moon are running Projekt: Weltraummonster. What is project Weltraummonster? What will happen to the Bay Area?

801 Run for your Life, Candyman!
Monday 8 AM in 143 for 8 hours
Room Map
GM: B J Goukler
Power Level: 12d, 90 active, 20-30 def, Power pools shot on sight
Variations: Slim Goodman Approved (some 4th)
Rules Knowledge: Expected
They arrived almost together and once again without anyone seeing the delivery actually made. One, a hand written note in calligraphy inviting you to the Royal Wedding of Prince Atom of the Gumdrop Gnomes and Princess Selena of the Smeebler Elves, along with a tasteful assortment of cookies and confections meant to tease the palette of a King. Once again inside are the Blue cookie, and the Red cookie. Last year?s instructions still linger in your mind. Eat the blue cookie, and forget about all of this silliness. Eat the Red cookie, and we will see just how far down this candy hole will go?. (Do NOT google candy hole) The other is a box of suspicious origin, containing a cupcake with a dark black frosting, and a blood red cake below, decorated with a grin of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8! 8 teeth! and a handwritten note that looks like it was scribbled in crayon: Heroes of the Other Land, It is I, Gnomeferatu (ah, ah, ah!) Our land is in dire peril...

816 Dresden Files: The Lake of the Dead - Nunismatis Part II
Monday 10 AM in 165 for 4 hours
Room Map
GM: Greg Haslam
System: Hero 5th edition (Urban Fantasy)
Players: 8
Rules Knowledge: Beginners Welcome
Set in the world of Harry Dresden, you play one of Harry?s associates who tackle the things that go bump in the night, literally. Player characters include Wardens. Trolls, Pixies, Espers, Werewolves, etc. Game is light on the rules and heavy on roleplaying and storytelling.

This is part II of a series. Part I involved the death of a prominent coin collector Lyle Jefferson, the secret son of Thomas Jefferson, and inheritor of an angelic coin that is the counterpart to the blackened Denarians. There are 12 angelic coins, each attached to the spirit of a powerful angel. A Denarian by the name of Sammael killed Lyle and stole some of the angelic coins he had amassed. Lyle was a cunning man and so hid the remaining coins at various Carmelite monasteries in Northern California where they would be protected by Templar knights. The heroes encountered vampiric minions of Sammael?s as they attempted to thwart his acquisition of the other coins.

The big showdown with Sammael, who is also a Black Court Vampire, occurred in Carmel at the main Carmelite monastery. Sammael was prevented from acquiring the final three coins at the monastery and his forces were defeated. However the Denarian Vampire managed to slip away when the fight turned sour and lives to fight another day. The Carmelites realizing that the end times are near and being no longer able to safeguard the coins, handed them over to the Heroes.

15 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

seems like a lighter schedule than years past.

Compared to last year, yeah.

Jason Krestoff, a frequent Hero GM, is running Feast of Legends.  Last year he ran Starfinder, so he might be a bit burned out on Hero (hard to believe, I know :) )

Jim Gettman, another Hero GM, is running D&D5.

Also missing since last year Callie Goukler, Aaron Gettman, and Glenn Thain.

Just noticed my game says all characters provided by GM.  This isn't true.  It should be, characters may be provided by the GM.  Players should feel free to bring in their 5th or 6th Ed characters.  Minor house rules apply.

Just wanted to drop a short convention report. Had a great time reconnecting with my people. Though I was too slow in registration to get into any games as I was just there Sat; and Sun, I did manage to reconnect with my gamer people at the show. It was a bit over stuffed, with the Hotel having to convert a store room into extra gaming, but the con moved very smoothly, and the Hotel staff was very helpful. Hero was a bit under represented; but In did note a few incidences of Hero in the wild. All in all,  it was a fine send off for the Marriott San Ramon. I cannot was other confirm or deny a conspiracy for as many people as possible running Hero next year in Santa Clara for the 40 anniversary of Champions. 

I managed to forget to pack the one character sheet I needed to bring to DunDraCon. Fortunately, it was a PC that I have memorized pretty well. Now I get to add an important detail to the sheet, the first significant change in several years.

As far as I know, all the scheduled Hero games went off and were full.  Most of the Dundracon HERO games, the GMs will allow crashing if you know the system and you are there at the start of the scheduled game.  Officially, Dundracon only allows 1 crasher.  Unofficially, some GMs will allow two.  I, personally, will allow a second crasher so long as 1) they aren't a burden on me GMing (I don't need to keep explaining the rules to them) and 2) the rest of the group is okay with them joining.  Dundracon for its part, staggers the HERO games to let people get at least 1 Champions game in.  So if two Champions games occur on the same day, the run times of the game will overlap by a couple of hours so that if you are in one game, you can't be in the other.  This lets more people play Champions at the con.

I really hope more people GM HERO at the next con.  The new hotel in Santa Clara has over twice the rooms at the San Ramon, and there are more hotels/motels a few blocks away.  One of my players was saying he might do a 1889 HERO game next convention.

One of the staffers is actively campaigning to get people to run Champions at DDC45.

I want every game to feature a Foxbat cameo where he shows up and steals everybody's XP. And I want Bruce Harlick to play the role of Foxbat in each game. Then schedule a Monday game where all the PCs robbed during the weekend gather to corner Foxbat and string him up by the ankles and shake him until all the stolen XP fall out, like a villainous pinata. And as a bonus, all the XP that he conned people out of during the AC days are released as well.