Elder Scrolls Online

Diamond Spear

Played off and on since beta, have 10 max level characters but behind about 60 CP from cap.  It's a very different game then it was at launch... I would just say enjoy your time in Tamriel and don't feel like you need to rush through.  Enjoy at your own pace, the endgame will be there for you when you're ready.  Trials are ESO raids, they're fun and engaging with hardmodes that can be extremely challenging.  PvP can be done in small squads in a sandbox or in a massive open world setting (Cyrodiil).  Crafting is good and stays relevant into endgame.

Anecdotally, I don't find the community to be nearly as toxic as retail WoW.  Maybe I've just been lucky but it feels like a nicer community with a lot less chat trolls.  

It's a fun a fun game with great stories and NPCs that hopefully will keep you engaged.  FYI - go anywhere you like, there are no prescribed zone chains you need to follow.  Just go where you think you'll be interested in the stories.

I should also point out that the dungeon running community is active and vibrant.  Some of the best gear can be found in dungeons and most people will run a couple a day even if it's only to get their undaunted keys.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy yourself!

My complaints were mainly these points:

The interface was terrible

They put people into solo missions constantly when its a MMORPG, some of which were nearly impossible for some builds to even attempt

The crafting system is interesting, but requires talent points to build up which you need to put into combat and other skills just to survive

It just didn't feel like the Elder Scrolls games at all to me.  I know its technically the same setting, but it just did not have that feel in any way

The talent trees were unknown, and did not feel anything like building any class that I could recognize at all.

Some or all of that may have been changed or improved, I really do not know.  And its all personal opinion, clearly its just my reaction rather than some absolute statement of fact so take that as you will.

Absolutely, I would recommend Warden as your class choice.  I have a Bosmer Warden who can switch between Bow DPS and tanking with the press of a button. 

Checkout Alcast for builds and guides.  He has a Warden Bow DPS build if I remember correctly.

Here's the bow/bow DPS build I was talking about: https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-warden-bow-build-pve/

I run a slightly different setup but I've also not played since a major balance patch came out.  In general, Alcast is a really solid choice for builds and guides... he knows his stuff.  There's also some beginner guides right on his front page that are useful.  Don't worry about race choice too much, Khajiit and Bosmer are both middle of the pack in terms of min-maxing but it only really matters to the top raiders.

52 minutes ago, Diamond Spear said:

So one of the reasons, the major one actually, that I plan on going with a Khajit is their Night Eye ability. Did they carry that over into the MMO?

Sadly, that never came over from Skyrim.  The racial abilities were just recently revised.  You can find the up-to-date write ups here: https://alcasthq.com/eso-race-guide-elder-scrolls-online/

6 minutes ago, Diamond Spear said:

One more question: How viable is solo play?

Completely viable.  The only time you have to group up is for dungeons, trials, and the harder delves.  Otherwise, it can all be done solo.

Oh yeah, don't try to solo a world boss either 😁

On 11/25/2019 at 5:28 AM, Diamond Spear said:

One more question: How viable is solo play?

Difficulty scales to your level. Strangely enough, even when grouped with higher power characters. A decent build is not quite as essential as it used to be, but finding a good combination will help you. Later on, dungeons will require the best build you can must but also dole out some of the best rewards. You will find it almost a natural zero-to-hero progression. One of the things that they did right.

MMO-things I hate about it:

1. The crafting system is a grind and while you can build higher-end items, that requires either special forges found out in the wilderness or very rare and difficult-to-acquire-enough-of ingredients.

2. Other players. Not only do you have to deal with idiotic names like ButtyMcFartface69, much of the world loot (like crafting goods, chests, etc.) are not instanced. First come. First serve. I've literally seen trolls hang out by loot spawn points long after the loot has spawned just to snatch it up as you run towards it.

3. Limited quest journal space and almost every town you come upon can easily fill that journal with other NPCs tagging along after you, demanding your attention so that they can give you a quest you can't accept.

4. Limited storage that costs a LOT of in-game currency to upgrade. Sometimes it felt like I was working at increasing my bank and bag space more than playing a game. And, yes, it gets progressively more expensive as you go.

5. Rapidly respawning enemies. Yes, a trope of MMO games, but one I hate. If you are okay with that, then it is less frustrating to go between towns and dungeons.

Things I like about it:

1. Pretty decent intro areas. The tutorial area is horrible because of #2 above. Depending on your patience level, get through it as fast as you can and loot everything you can find. It's the faction-specific starts that are great.

2. Decent stories.

3. A pretty world with lots of character.

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2019 at 11:37 PM, Nolgroth said:

Difficulty scales to your level. Strangely enough, even when grouped with higher power characters. A decent build is not quite as essential as it used to be, but finding a good combination will help you. Later on, dungeons will require the best build you can must but also dole out some of the best rewards. You will find it almost a natural zero-to-hero progression. One of the things that they did right.

MMO-things I hate about it:

1. The crafting system is a grind and while you can build higher-end items, that requires either special forges found out in the wilderness or very rare and difficult-to-acquire-enough-of ingredients.

2. Other players. Not only do you have to deal with idiotic names like ButtyMcFartface69, much of the world loot (like crafting goods, chests, etc.) are not instanced. First come. First serve. I've literally seen trolls hang out by loot spawn points long after the loot has spawned just to snatch it up as you run towards it.

3. Limited quest journal space and almost every town you come upon can easily fill that journal with other NPCs tagging along after you, demanding your attention so that they can give you a quest you can't accept.

4. Limited storage that costs a LOT of in-game currency to upgrade. Sometimes it felt like I was working at increasing my bank and bag space more than playing a game. And, yes, it gets progressively more expensive as you go.

5. Rapidly respawning enemies. Yes, a trope of MMO games, but one I hate. If you are okay with that, then it is less frustrating to go between towns and dungeons.

Things I like about it:

1. Pretty decent intro areas. The tutorial area is horrible because of #2 above. Depending on your patience level, get through it as fast as you can and loot everything you can find. It's the faction-specific starts that are great.

2. Decent stories.

3. A pretty world with lots of character.

Yep, i agree with your point man, for ESO, overall the gameplay is great and each new area explored brings something different to the table. This year it will get even better with the Dark Heart of Skyrim chapter coming out just give it a chance when they offer free play and you will get hooked if you like Elder Scrolls and MMORPG's.