Seeking advice...

MrWolf

Hi all - long time no post.

So things are not going so well.  Oh, I'm not sick or anything.  Thankfully.

But...my marriage isn't going so well right now.  I'm not sure how much I should say in public even anonymously, like this, but PMs would be kind of welcome right about now.  I know that's pretty oblique but that's where I am.  Some of you may remember a thread I posted a while ago, but things aren't really better.

So - how are you all?

MrWolf

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Hi all - long time no post.

So things are not going so well.  Oh, I'm not sick or anything.  Thankfully.

But...my marriage isn't going so well right now.  I'm not sure how much I should say in public even anonymously, like this, but PMs would be kind of welcome right about now.  I know that's pretty oblique but that's where I am.  Some of you may remember a thread I posted a while ago, but things aren't really better.

So - how are you all?

MrWolf

As for the 'how are you all' thing, I've had better and worse days.

I'm sorry to hear about your marriage having hit some rough times. I hope it's just a rough patch but, I wouldn't be the one to ask. I'm past the mid point of my lifespan, and have never been married. I have some good friends who make it work. I don't know how they do it but I'm glad for them.

Hopefully someone like them on these boards can PM you and lend an experienced ear and advice if you want.

If it doesn't offend you though, I can send good vibes and prayers for you and your wife?

Things are...

I haven't posted in forever either.  I moved into a management position a few years back and my job pretty much ate my life.  Not really sure how much of it is left, other than work, sometimes.

And a snippet  doesn't tell you as much as you think it might, not without additional snippets and context to flesh it all out.

FWIW, my first marriage lasted a couple/few years.  We were both young and I was in the Navy is the short version and I can only know my own perspective, blurred by the passage of time.

My second marriage has lasted more than 26 years now.

Roughly a year ago I learned I have a son from my first marriage that my ex-wife never told me about.  And a granddaughter.  And a daughter-in-law and three additional grandchildren.  And then it gets complicated...

I'm not the most active correspondent (especially not with the holiday stupid season in full swing), but I'm willing to give you an outside perspective from someone who has been through a few trials and tribulations and is somehow still putting one foot in front of the other.

• 7 months later...

Not knowing a lot of details about your situation, this advice is going to be more general, and sound more blunt, than is my wont to give.

When I face difficult situations, I ask myself if the good in the situation is greater than the bad; if the benefit outweighs the cost. If it does, keep working to make it as positive as possible. If it doesn't, get out of it.

On the surface that sounds selfish, but "benefit" can be measured many ways. During the last years of my mother's life I was her primary caregiver. She suffered from dementia and a few other physical infirmities, and taking care of her had become a 24/7 job. Financially, physically and emotionally I was burning myself out. Many times I thought of just running, leaving my brother to be responsible for her, and starting over; but for me, abandoning her would have been worse than enduring the situation.

In the end, though, I had to admit I'd reached the end of my endurance, and needed to arrange for nursing-home care for her. I felt guilty over that, but if I hadn't done it we both would have suffered the consequences.

As the song says, "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em."

You just described the last several years of my life. My mother passed away in March. I'd been caregiver to her and my little brother prior to his death. Her health hadn't been the greatest, but she managed to outlive 2 of her children. Now I'm just cleaning up the mess.