Usagi

Doc Democracy

The thing that I find really fascinating is that Usagi's death-grip on his belief that any followers of faith are inherently incapable of rational thought, even when presented with explanation and evidence to the contrary, is precisely the behavior he claims to find so abhorrent in religious fanatics.

The irony of that position is, apparently, completely lost on him.

13 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

It also helps that I'm not overly troubled by opinions of me and my views from random people on the Internet whom I don't know and will probably never meet. :winkgrin:

I note that this attitude took Lord Liaden to 17 likes yesterday and well-deservedly winning the day...  🏆

10 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The thing that I find really fascinating is that Usagi's death-grip on his belief that any followers of faith are inherently incapable of rational thought, even when presented with explanation and evidence to the contrary, is precisely the behavior he claims to find so abhorrent in religious fanatics.

One might even say "why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thy own eye?" 

... were one the sort of person to say such a thing. Or reference loud yodeling, that's always a good option too.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I thought the same thing. 

I imagine there were a few atheists and agnostics in the forum face palming at Usagi's display and news of his PM.  For the same reason I cringe sometimes when someone who identifies LOUDLY as being of faith  starts yelling hatefully what 'real believers know!'

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've noticed that for a lot of people, their sense of personal self-worth is closely tied to their beliefs and opinions. If they perceive those beliefs as being challenged or criticized, they react as though it was a personal attack against themselves, lashing out with disproportionate defensive anger. Disagreements between people who can't separate what they and others think from who they are often grow into resentment and bitterness. I make a conscious effort to keep that in mind, which may be one reason why this sort of spat bothers me less than it would other people.

It also helps that I'm not overly troubled by opinions of me and my views from random people on the Internet whom I don't know and will probably never meet. :winkgrin:

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/backfire-effect

1 minute ago, Lord Liaden said:

I have to say, while I understand wanting to have a laugh over this, continuing to criticize and mock Usagi/Lord Diadem/whatever when he's no longer able to defend himself feels rather like ganging up on him, which is more or less what he accused us of. :(

A fair point I suppose. I suppose at best we were making a case study of him. 

20 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I have to say, while I understand wanting to have a laugh over this, continuing to criticize and mock Usagi/Lord Diadem/whatever when he's no longer able to defend himself feels rather like ganging up on him, which is more or less what he accused us of. :(

Says it right in my name, not making any protestations of nobility here. 😁

I can cite scripture for my purpose. 😈

Oh dear Lord, _Stop_!  It's not even the song....

There is no way I could _ever_ work for Disney.  There are eight truck drivers at my day job, and those princesses are _enough_.   Ugh.

I always thought that one of the requirements of being able to call yourself "a grown-ass man" was actually being-- well, you know: an _adult_.....

Turns out I was wrong...

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

Yes, I noticed that irony, but didn't want to say anything.  Like I mentioned in my response, most any human endeavor, religion or other, can be twisted for one's own end, it is unfortunate he seemed to cluelessly try to prove that point. (my opinion, miles may vary, of course)

14 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've noticed that for a lot of people, their sense of personal self-worth is closely tied to their beliefs and opinions. If they perceive those beliefs as being challenged or criticized, they react as though it was a personal attack against themselves, lashing out with disproportionate defensive anger. Disagreements between people who can't separate what they and others think from who they are often grow into resentment and bitterness. I make a conscious effort to keep that in mind, which may be one reason why this sort of spat bothers me less than it would other people.

Except, from what I could tell he started going rabid by the mere mention of Christianity.  Before anyone went into any type of real conversation of such.  

12 hours ago, Hermit said:

I thought the same thing. 

I imagine there were a few atheists and agnostics in the forum face palming at Usagi's display and news of his PM.  For the same reason I cringe sometimes when someone who identifies LOUDLY as being of faith  starts yelling hatefully what 'real believers know!'

For what it is worth, I consider him more "anti-theist".  To me an atheist* would usually "you want to waste time worshipping the magic sky fairy go ahead and just leave me out of it".  Which is how worshippers and atheist should behave amongst them.

*at least most atheist I encounter.  Sure, we may have discussions, and defend are point of view, even perhaps passionately.  But,  there is a difference between considering one naïve vs evil.     

2 hours ago, Trencher said:

Hey I was just making fun of how atheism have ironically gotten more religious over the years. Not Usagi or whomever it was. 

For what it is worth, a friend of mine who is an atheist, once mentioned a similar realization.  Almost like humanity is hardwired to "I got to worship SOMETHING" whether it makes sense of not.    

28 minutes ago, Badger said:

Except, from what I could tell he started going rabid by the mere mention of Christianity.  Before anyone went into any type of real conversation of such.  

It seemed to me what really set him off was when I indicated I wasn't going to debate with him any more. He might have interpreted that as disrespect directed at him. Some people would rather be vilified than ignored.

23 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I was going to say something complimentary about you, but then I figured, you won't care, so what's the point?  :winkgrin: