Champions City Ideas: Lonestar City (formally Star City)

steriaca

Champions Universe has a few cities of fiction which to hang your hero hats in.

Millennium City (Detroit): Hi tech big city of the midwest/upper north.

Vibora Bay: Mystical southern east city of mid size.

Hudson City: Semi-corrupted city of Mafia and darkness, where costumed vigilanties and costumed mercenaries outnumber out right superpowered heroes three to one (and only vaugly exists within the Champions Universe).

And now:

Lonestar City: A southern city proud of its western heritage, Lonestar City is unique because it is layed out in a city grid which looks like a huge five pointed star. It is a big place. It is a place where heroes are just as likely to wear cowboy boots and a ten gallon hat along with there masks. There are more country-western bars here than rock n roll bars. It is a center of hi tech, but not THE center of hi tech. For magic, you are more likely to find ghost bison and Native American Shamanic Magic than anything else.

Well how far west?  WE talking Texas?  Nevada?  This will give an idea of terrain outside the city.  

As far as concepts, take an idea I saw in a villain supplement.  Up till now the city has had some Super's, but not a lot.  Now some enterprising villains have decided to re-locate.  Thus the need for some stalwart heroes.  

Also maybe a high tech firm (Star Labs) has decided to open a branch here as it is supposed to be a quiet area for research and development: Cue more bad guys coming in to rob a place that seems to be a push over.

Gurps had a villain supplement with an organisation called Technological Research And Development Enterprises (TRADE).  They steal high tech gear to look at and make cheap knockoffs.  Because it is so quiet, they have a major research area in the city.  Just waiting for heroes to run into it.  

Maybe a giant Dream Catcher outside of town with a mystic guardian that is getting old and things are .... getting loose!

29 minutes ago, steriaca said:Star City: A southern city proud of its western heritage, Star City is unique because it is layed out in a city grid which looks like a huge five pointed star. It is a big place. It is a place where heroes are just as likely to wear cowboy boots and a ten gallon hat along with there masks. There are more country-western bars here than rock n roll bars. It is a center of hi tech, but not THE center of hi tech. For magic, you are more likely to find ghost bison and Native American Shamanic Magic than anything else.

You just proposed an entire Western city laid out as a pentagram....there’s got to be some cool Weird West stuff going on.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

Champions Universe has a few cities of fiction which to hang your hero hats in.

Millennium City (Detroit): Hi tech big city of the midwest/upper north.

Vibora Bay: Mystical southern east city of mid size.

Hudson City: Semi-corrupted city of Mafia and darkness, where costumed vigilanties and costumed mercenaries outnumber out right superpowered heroes three to one (and only vaugly exists within the Champions Universe).

And now:

Star City: A southern city proud of its western heritage, Star City is unique because it is layed out in a city grid which looks like a huge five pointed star. It is a big place. It is a place where heroes are just as likely to wear cowboy boots and a ten gallon hat along with there masks. There are more country-western bars here than rock n roll bars. It is a center of hi tech, but not THE center of hi tech. For magic, you are more likely to find ghost bison and Native American Shamanic Magic than anything else.

Lone Star City might work better.

One of the villains has to be Rodeo Clown. Because Clowns are evil.

Then there is Texas Steer who is a minotaur Big horns.

For financial corruption you could always use Indian Agent

Then there is the Indian hating military minded Custer of the East

After the ELO song Wild West Hero, we have Wild West Villain 

They are not so dangerous so they have been dubbed The Mild Bunch

He looks like a train from the Old West, Iron Horseman

The South never fell for Stonewall Johnson

1 minute ago, Cassandra said:

Lone Star City might work better.

Yes it could. We are not saying exactly where, but I'm going to say "Texas/Arizona area". I suspect the area screams "weird weird west".

One could imagine one of the Black Masks operating out of "Lone" Star City in the past, even if it is only local stories and not truth.

And unlike many western cities, they historically had a great relationship with the Native American tribe. I need a name for them. There Shamans kept watch over the gateways.

49 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I use Emperor Maximilian and Pancho Villa.

59 minutes ago, death tribble said:

This all sounds like the dastardly handiwork of local shapeshifting villain, Archetype the Stereotyper! 😱😰😁

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Out of all of these, I'll pick Iron Horseman, but not as a train based steam powered armor, but as a human made into cyborg centaur on his own choice.

There is no Texas Steer, but there is the bull based power armor user Tinhorn.

I scrap everything else.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

Out of all of these, I'll pick Iron Horseman, but not as a train based steam powered armor, but as a human made into cyborg centaur on his own choice.

There is no Texas Steer, but there is the bull based power armor user Tinhorn.

I scrap everything else.

WHAT ???!!!!!

No-one puts Rodeo Clown in the corner !

2 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I agree.  Not just because of the western thing, but because I _think_ Star City is taken;  is it not mentioned a few times on the Flash TV show? 

Ok. I'll give you that. Star City is one of DC's long list of fake cities.

5 minutes ago, SteelCold said:

New Star City then?

I actually like Lonestar City (which can be shortened to Star City or simply Star for short).

The districts.

Center: It is where the Mayor's Office is, along with the courthouse, shopping and entertainment center, and big business.

Top Point: The rich section of town.

Left Point: Factory section mostly.

Right Point: Normal housing 

Bottom Right Point: Recreation center.

Bottom Left Point: Pore section.

The Wedges: Farms, prisons, and the airports are located there.

1 minute ago, steriaca said:

I actually like Lonestar City (which can be shortened to Star City or simply Star for short).

The districts.

Center: It is where the Mayor's Office is, along with the courthouse, shopping and entertainment center, and big business.

Top Point: The rich section of town.

Left Point: Factory section mostly.

Right Point: Normal housing 

Bottom Right Point: Recreation center.

Bottom Left Point: Pore section.

The Wedges: Farms, prisons, and the airports are located there.

I got no dog in this fight, but if the city was laid out so specifically, it was likely planned from the start, in which case I would see the parks and municipal buildings all sort of centrally located in the central pentagram rather than having a dedicated point. 

Plus side logistically, being equal access.  There is also a tradition of planning cities this way in the US, and it still holds on strong in the south, up until sprawl forces a shift.  But if you still have clearly-defined star points, then sprawl hasn't become that serious an issue yet (which strongly suggests that you don't have that greatest of all creators of sprawl today: a Wal-Mart). 

Besides, this frees up a "point" you can use for something else: subdivisions and community College, maybe? 

Anyway, we have three votes for Lone Star City. 

Carry on. 

26 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I got no dog in this fight, but if the city was laid out so specifically, it was likely planned from the start, in which case I would see the parks and municipal buildings all sort of centrally located in the central pentagram rather than having a dedicated point. 

Plus side logistically, being equal access.  There is also a tradition of planning cities this way in the US, and it still holds on strong in the south, up until sprawl forces a shift.  But if you still have clearly-defined star points, then sprawl hasn't become that serious an issue yet (which strongly suggests that you don't have that greatest of all creators of sprawl today: a Wal-Mart). 

Well, Wal-Mart exists, but I doubt they even herd of Lonestar City.

Besides, this frees up a "point" you can use for something else: subdivisions and community College, maybe? 

Could be. There is an area where is the old "minority district" area, and traditionally such districts are more on the pore side. But don't confuse a pore minority section with sprawl.

Anyway, we have three votes for Lone Star City. 

Carry on. 

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, Quackhell said:

Operating out of South Point is detective/mage Brujo Joe. He has battled such threats as the Yum Kimil worshipping Maya Death Cult, the legendary El Chupacabra,  the assassin Santa Muerte, and an invasion of K'nyanians from an Indian Mound that leads to their underworld city.

Which South Point? There are two of them. East or West?