How to determine Size, Mass, and Weight of creatures

robertperry904@glbb.jp

Question

I have been looking and looking through all the books but cannot find a definitive chart, table, or rule that lets me determine the size , mass, or weight of a creature. Lets say I want to have an elephant in the game, but need to first determine how big the creature is an then determine who much it weighs. There must be some way to figure this out. Now I know creatures can be big, even huge. But no where in the Bestiary can I find a size reference. The closest I can find is "Heavy" used for Knockback Resistance. 

If this is completely arbitrary  and up to the GM to determine fine. But it is difficult to assign things such as a counter to Powers like Teleport and if the object or creature is too large to move if I cannot determine how big something is or how much its Mass is. Teleportation relies on Mass of target to effect others. 

What I would like to see is a table that lists the Size, Mass, and Weight of everything from Doors to Aircraft Carriers. I have cross referenced vehicles, and powers such as Growth and Shrinking. In addition to several other powers and items,  with no luck.  

Someone please point me in the correct direction for this result.  

Thank you.

1 answer to this question

First off, just to clarify, on this Rules forum, “someone” is only me — only I can reply here, to provide official answers. If you want input from the group at large (and it’s a great group with lots of helpful ideas and suggestions), try the Discussion forum, where anyone can respond.

OK, so on to your question. Page 12 of Vol. 1 of the 6th Edition rulebook (6E1 12, as I usually write it) has a sidebar that specifies the standard height, weight, and lifespan for characters:  2m (about 6 feet), 100 kg, and 100 years. If you want to vary that, you usually buy various Powers and Complications — see the Size and Mass Templates on 6E1 442-46.

For Vehicles and Bases specifically, there are rules defining their mass based on the size you buy for them. See 6E2 186 and following for more information.

The STR Table on 6E1 43 lists the weight of various objects by way of example, but it’s by no means comprehensive. Pages 10-13 of The Ultimate Brick has a much more detailed STR Table, but it still has plenty of gaps too. Pages 103-112 of TUB has a lot more information about the weight of objects, breaking things, and related subjects. Beyond that, you’ll have to do your own research about how much a given object weighs, but fortunately the internet makes that pretty easy in most cases. ;)

I hope that helps! If you have further questions about this, please post a follow-up or PM me.