How would you handle this?

Tech

"The Pikeman" has a 1d6 KA pike weapon, coming up to 2d6 total with Strength. "The Dud" with his 50 Str decides to charge him for a move-through with his running of 6" or 12m for 6th ed. The Pikeman plants the end of his pike in the ground, aiming the sharp pointy end at The Dud. The Dud runs fully into it, not realizing this is going to at least sting. How would you handle this situation, in regards to:

a) OCV for Pikeman since The Dud is running right at him

b) DCV for PIkeman since he's planting his weapon into the ground

c) The damage Pikeman does to The Dud

d) The Dud's move-through damage and OCV

A) depends on what the Dud is doing: is he trying to fake _at all_?  If successful at faking or jinking the Pikeman (say a Dex roll with penalties or an appropriate tactical skill), then I might (_might_) forego any OCV bonuses for the Pike--well, more realistically, I might _deny_ any movement-based DCV bonuses to the Dud.  On a spectacular failure, depending on the flavor of the game, I might even allow the Pike a bonus OCV or two to offset penalties on a called shot. 

B) as wierd as it sounds, no bonuses to his DCV: he can't run away or he will lose the set of his pike, and he can't dive for cover for the same reason.  I _might_ (if Dud is actually trying to kink and fake) assign a penalty to any attempt to dodge, even.  I doubt I would do it, but if the conditions are right, it's on the table as an option.  (also, likely no bonus for "setting" his weapon as this is kind of how you have to use those things; they are too long usually to be as nimble as a spear or javelin). 

C) depends.  If Pike is succesful, then no move-through occurs _unless_ the character is willing to run himself through to keep charging.  You'll totally have to wing that, and if I wasnt on a touch screen, I might toss out some more ideas. 

Damage to Dud?  Full pike damage, and likely some bonus momentum damage: it's your game, and you'll have to decide, but some good I personally would start looking at something like:

Killing damage in DCs equal to his momentum damage for a move-through (assuming the pike is a KA, because they do tend to be), or perhaps in non-killing, but remember that for damage dealing, well that was pretty much the danger of a pike: the damage _you_ imparted to it.  Otherwise, it's just an unwieldly spear. 

D) if he doesn't get taken out by Pike and he manages to get his hit in, then full normal. Move-through damage. 

Remember though that my ideas aren't particularly popular, because they don't generally draw on eight points of reference in the written texts.  ;). Use at your own risk.   :lol:

This would be Set Versus Charge.  FHC p. 180, or Fantasy Hero genre book for 6th edition p. 185, or Fantasy Hero genre book for 5th edition, p. 156.  

(Just for completeness' sake:  Fantasy Hero genre book for 4th edition, p. 88.  The Fantasy Hero corebook for 1st edition doesn't specificially include it, but see the Unhorse maneuver on p. 75 and the solo adventure, page 139, paragraph 4.)

a) What's the maneuver The Pikeman is using?  Basic Strike unless specified otherwise?  That said, Move-Through has a DCV penalty, thus making The Pikeman more likely to hit. 

b) What's the maneuver The Pikeman is using?  Basic Strike unless specified otherwise?  Unless it has a DCV penalty, why penalize him? 

c) You said it yourself, it's 2d6 KA. 

d) 50 STR and 6" movement, that's (10+6/3)d6.  -(6/5) OCV. 

Now what I think you're really asking is "How do I make the 'brace for a charge' maneuver/power that's implicit in having a big sharp stick".  I'd personally just call that a combination of spending your first Half Phase Action to Resist Knockback (so The Dud eats full recoil damage) and holding your second to Strike at The Dud when he gets in range.  That would change the answers to

a') Full normal.  That -3 DCV on The Dud is going to make it really likely to hit though unless there's already a big CV disparity. 

b') 1/2, from Resisting Knockback. 

c') Full normal, plus a decent chance of forcing The Dud to eat full recoil damage.  That said, The Dud is way outclassing this poor dude with a stick so recoil damage is pretty unlikely. 

d') Unchanged

If a character wanted to be double plus good at impaling people running towards them, I'd have them buy a custom MA maneuver with an OCV bonus, the v/3 or v/5 element, and have it follow Resist Knockback.  Say, +2 OCV, v/3, follows Resist Knockback for a total of 3 points to learn.  Changing the answers again to

a'') +2 OCV, and The Dud is at -3 DCV so a hit is very likely. 

b'') 1/2 DCV, somewhat mitigated by the The Dud being at -(6/5) OCV.  A mutual hit is very likely. 

c'') 2 1/2d6 KA, plus a decent chance of forcing The Dud to eat full recoil damage.  That said, The Dud is way outclassing this poor dude with a stick so recoil damage is pretty unlikely. 

d'') Unchanged. 

15 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

This would be Set Versus Charge.  FHC p. 180, or Fantasy Hero genre book for 6th edition p. 185, or Fantasy Hero genre book for 5th edition, p. 156.  

(Just for completeness' sake:  Fantasy Hero genre book for 4th edition, p. 88.  The Fantasy Hero corebook for 1st edition doesn't specificially include it, but see the Unhorse maneuver on p. 75 and the solo adventure, page 139, paragraph 4.)

Don't have any of those.

Basically, the Pikeman delays.  He's considered at normal OCV and DCV; the Dud is at whatever he's at for his maneuvers.  If the Pikeman's weapon is longer, resolve his hit first.  If their weapons are the same length, it's simultaneous.  If the Dud's is longer (doubtful, with name like that) then resolve his first.  The Pikeman gets +1 DC per every 3" or 6m the Dud is moving.

41 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Dude, you're awesome.  :)

I think I would be slightly terrified to run a game you were playing in....   :rofl:

:D  I'm on my computer with all the PDFs.  :D