My history with Heroes system

Crazyleo

I was introduced to Heroes way back in 3rd edition when a friend of mine was running a Heroic level campaign based on Star Wars. Since then I fell in love with the system.

Then in 2004, I found myself playing a little MMO called City of Heroes. Since that time, I wanted to set up a campaign based on CoH using Heroes. But I never found the right group who was willing to play in this type of setting. Now, the group that I’m in are willing to try (currently playing Starfinders with a bit of Scion thrown in) playing this system. (One player already made his character)

So I’m excited to see how my two great Super Hero loves is going to work 

Something in the title of this thread spoke to me.

My history with Champions is so bound up with my real life that one couldn’t exist without the other.  Around 35 years or so ago  I was a guy in my 20’s and a girl I liked said “you like comics, I play a game that’s kind of a D&D for comic books.”  “Come see if you like it.”  So I went.  If she said  “Hey, every Saturday night we cut off our own heads, wanna come along?”  I would have gone.  I knew a couple of the people vaguely and I did have fun. The next two decades or so just kind of flew by.
  Some of that group and others that I met along the way became the best friends I’ve ever known. Others became enemies.  A very few are closer to me than my own brothers. I became Godfather to the children of the “kid” I first got to know when driving him in to Boston to play after inviting him to join our group. He’s a man now of course and a Captain of Firefighters. (a REAL Hero)  He met the lovely woman who would become his wife over a Champions game.

The games came and went. GM’s and players did the same. Some friends have passed away, and when we remember them we always end up saying that they’ve just gone ahead to save us the “good table” in a room with a blackboard to put up a Dex Chart.

Time and circumstance has spread us across the map although we stay in pretty constant touch. And I myself haven’t picked up a set of dice in a decade or more, but I think about those days often. Times both spent at the Game table and away, love and laughs and inside jokes we now have to clean up so we can explain them to the kids.

Thinking about the title of this thread made me want to say to those who created this sometimes silly game and may have thought this a small accomplishment in a big world....Thank You for what it’s meant to the life of just this one player. 

19 hours ago, Crazyleo said:

I was introduced to Heroes way back in 3rd edition when a friend of mine was running a Heroic level campaign based on Star Wars. Since then I fell in love with the system.

Then in 2004, I found myself playing a little MMO called City of Heroes. Since that time, I wanted to set up a campaign based on CoH using Heroes. But I never found the right group who was willing to play in this type of setting. Now, the group that I’m in are willing to try (currently playing Starfinders with a bit of Scion thrown in) playing this system. (One player already made his character)

So I’m excited to see how my two great Super Hero loves is going to work 

Welcome to the forums :) 

6 hours ago, Tjack said:

Something in the title of this thread spoke to me.

My history with Champions is so bound up with my real life that one couldn’t exist without the other.  Around 35 years or so ago  I was a guy in my 20’s and a girl I liked said “you like comics, I play a game that’s kind of a D&D for comic books.”  “Come see if you like it.”  So I went.  If she said  “Hey, every Saturday night we cut off our own heads, wanna come along?”  I would have gone.  I knew a couple of the people vaguely and I did have fun. The next two decades or so just kind of flew by.
  Some of that group and others that I met along the way became the best friends I’ve ever known. Others became enemies.  A very few are closer to me than my own brothers. I became Godfather to the children of the “kid” I first got to know when driving him in to Boston to play after inviting him to join our group. He’s a man now of course and a Captain of Firefighters. (a REAL Hero)  He met the lovely woman who would become his wife over a Champions game.

The games came and went. GM’s and players did the same. Some friends have passed away, and when we remember them we always end up saying that they’ve just gone ahead to save us the “good table” in a room with a blackboard to put up a Dex Chart.

Time and circumstance has spread us across the map although we stay in pretty constant touch. And I myself haven’t picked up a set of dice in a decade or more, but I think about those days often. Times both spent at the Game table and away, love and laughs and inside jokes we now have to clean up so we can explain them to the kids.

Thinking about the title of this thread made me want to say to those who created this sometimes silly game and may have thought this a small accomplishment in a big world....Thank You for what it’s meant to the life of just this one player. 

Man, this just hits me right in the nostalgia button.

Over the decades between my old games and new games (took a 20 year break in the middle) the people I'm still occasionally in touch with on the book of Face or the phone are the ones I played Champions, Fantasy HERO, and Danger International with.

A couple of years ago a guy I went to high school with just popped out a character sheet from 1988 and we reminisced.

Many of the players have gone on to be heroes in one way or another and I feel like we could still - all the years between no more than a pause button - sit down for a game and pick up where we left off.

• 1 month later...