Building a long range blind teleport object power

Tywyll

So I was trying to convert some stuff from Godbound (an awesome OSR game about playing godlings) and I hit a power that I'm struggling with.

The character can summon to themselves, instantly, any weapon they've ever touched. 

On the one hand this could be just a HKA of Xd6, with the SFX that it represents any weapon they've used.

However, this gets tricky when they may have used a magic weapon with other abilities besides damage...or even the rare trick of summoning a weapon from a target's grasp. That would clearly be Teleport UaA...but how do you teleport something you can't see half a world away? I thought Indirect would help but no dice. 

As much as I loathe to go straight there, this will be a VPP with the Physical Manifestation Limitation on all the powers.(It's not Focus because they can't really be taken away, only disarmed for a few segments before being resummoned.)

You'll have to give more info on how it interacts with items the user doesn't own  or that or currently in another's possession. Or you could go the Fate anime route and just call them copies.

Is there any in-game benefit to having the weapon teleport to him as opposed to just having whatever weapon he wants?  If not, then it's probably best built as a VPP as Grailknight says, with limitations "Weapons Only" (I'd call that a -1/2 at least, or maybe more like -1), and maybe another limitation for "Only Weapons Previously Touched" - maybe -1/4 depending on how many weapons he's touched, and how easy it is to touch more, and the variety of weapons available in the campaign world (to reflect that you can't just make up a weapon that serves the purpose of the moment that doesn't already exist).

Instantly teleporting object to you is just an in-game SFX description.  It's not what the Teleport power is for.

If there's an added advantage - like taking away a weapon from someone else's possession, then it would need a more complicated build.  If you want to use Grabthar's Hammer from a half-a-world away, and Grabthar is in the middle of a fight and suddenly his hammer disappears from his hand, he's going to feel right put out.  If this is never going to happen in the game - or at least not in any way that affects the character, then don't worry about it.  If the GM uses this as a plot device once in a great while, or as a justification for "Hunted by Grabthar", then don't worry about it.

But if you can, in the middle of a combat, cause your immediate opponent's weapon to disappear from his hand and appear in yours, that's a big power that's going to cost you more points.  Maybe a TK-Grab, ot a Teleport, Usable as Attack, or something like that.

I'd personally question how often he's going to use this power for anything beyond always having a weapon available and being immune to Disarm (which is done by just not taking Focus). 

If it seems highly unlikely that he'll be teleporting weapons out of other people's hands, then I'd say don't bother thinking about how to build it.  In the event it does come up, a roll of Power Skill against Strength has you covered. 

You could use summon but it would be hella expensive RaW as it would have to be slavishly loyal (+2 I think).

I'd bend the rules slightly.  I would make it teleport UaA triggered megascaled only to teleport to a fixed location.  I would buy a set location of myself.  I would then remotely trigger the teleport.  You probably need mind link to link to the triggerable items to set them off.

The VPP would work but would have the slight issue of what if the target is using the weapon touched.  You'd theoretically have two items then.  For example, say a villain's bomb was touched by the hero.  Using the VPP would give you the bomb in hand which is fine, but you would get the awesome ability of removing the bomb from its current location.

3 hours ago, dsatow said:

You could use summon but it would be hella expensive RaW as it would have to be slavishly loyal (+2 I think).

I'd bend the rules slightly.  I would make it teleport UaA triggered megascaled only to teleport to a fixed location.  I would buy a set location of myself.  I would then remotely trigger the teleport.  You probably need mind link to link to the triggerable items to set them off.

The VPP would work but would have the slight issue of what if the target is using the weapon touched.  You'd theoretically have two items then.  For example, say a villain's bomb was touched by the hero.  Using the VPP would give you the bomb in hand which is fine, but you would get the awesome ability of removing the bomb from its current location.

Well , does a bomb fit the definition of a Weapon?  Does a Western Electric Model 308 Telephone meet the definition? If you believe those 50’s and 60’s TV shows, it’s a near lethal bludgeoned. Does a Brick? I think that could be avoided be defining the weapons to strictly designed as melee and ranged weapons. (Though teleporting the bomb to one’s hands would make a great plot twist. How much time was on that timer?)

On 12/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, Tywyll said:

The character can summon to themselves, instantly, any weapon they've ever touched.

I think you are looking at Teleport UAA, with both Megascale Distance and Megascale Range, to draw the weapon to you.  I'd customize a Trigger ("When  I summon the weapon") or Delayed Effect (it teleports later, when I require it) advantage so the weapon he has touched will teleport to him at whatever later point he decides.  Finally, better slap IPE on this so it is not obvious that he is applying that Triggered Teleport to every weapon he touches.

You and your GM will need to define a "weapon", and whether limiting the ability to weapons mandates a Limitation.

4 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Well , does a bomb fit the definition of a Weapon?  Does a Western Electric Model 308 Telephone meet the definition? If you believe those 50’s and 60’s TV shows, it’s a near lethal bludgeoned. Does a Brick? I think that could be avoided be defining the weapons to strictly designed as melee and ranged weapons. (Though teleporting the bomb to one’s hands would make a great plot twist. How much time was on that timer?)

Yes, people use bombs as suicidal weapons.  But the thing is, it doesn't have to be a bomb.  Say he blocks a person with a sword with his hands.  He can now take the sword away as well as use it himself.  

As for what can be used or defined as a weapon, lets say anything that is covered that is covered either as a weapon familiarity or weapon element is covered as defined in RaW.  This would make a bomb a vehicular weapon and thus covered.

4 hours ago, dsatow said:

As for what can be used or defined as a weapon, lets say anything that is covered that is covered either as a weapon familiarity or weapon element is covered as defined in RaW.  This would make a bomb a vehicular weapon and thus covered.

"club" is listed as a weapon familiarity. Almost any solid object can be a club. So that's not much of a limitation.

Lucius Alexander

Familiarity with palindromedary mounted weapons

1 hour ago, Lucius said:

"club" is listed as a weapon familiarity. Almost any solid object can be a club. So that's not much of a limitation.

Lucius Alexander

Familiarity with palindromedary mounted weapons

Not really, a club would have a handle and be balance for swinging.  It could be crude but it couldn't be shaped like a standing dog with the tail as a handle.  Anything could be used to club something, like say the phone reference above, but it wouldn't be described as a club, more like a blunt force object.

9 minutes ago, dsatow said:

Not really, a club would have a handle and be balance for swinging.  It could be crude but it couldn't be shaped like a standing dog with the tail as a handle.  Anything could be used to club something, like say the phone reference above, but it wouldn't be described as a club, more like a blunt force object.

Well _crap_!

I was getting all excited about hitting someone with a discotheque....

On 12/28/2019 at 5:55 PM, Hugh Neilson said:

I think you are looking at Teleport UAA, with both Megascale Distance and Megascale Range, to draw the weapon to you.  I'd customize a Trigger ("When  I summon the weapon") or Delayed Effect (it teleports later, when I require it) advantage so the weapon he has touched will teleport to him at whatever later point he decides.  Finally, better slap IPE on this so it is not obvious that he is applying that Triggered Teleport to every weapon he touches.

You and your GM will need to define a "weapon", and whether limiting the ability to weapons mandates a Limitation.

How does he target that UAA though? Wouldn't you need a 'sense' go with it? 

The original power comes from being bound to the Word of Swords or Bows, so it pretty specifically limited to real items made to be weapons, ranged or melee. No shoes, no bricks, but real weapons.

The text for the power is as follows...rereading it, its not quite as powerful as I remembered (you can't just touch an enemies weapon and disarm them, you need to have 'used' the weapon before):

"Heroes with the Sword Word treat all their weapon or unarmed
attacks as magical, cannot be disarmed, and can summon any melee
weapon they’ve ever used immediately to hand as an Instant action."

5 hours ago, Tywyll said:

The original power comes from being bound to the Word of Swords or Bows, so it pretty specifically limited to real items made to be weapons, ranged or melee. No shoes, no bricks, but real weapons.

The text for the power is as follows...rereading it, its not quite as powerful as I remembered (you can't just touch an enemies weapon and disarm them, you need to have 'used' the weapon before):

Sounds like a VPP to me, or some sort of variable DC< based on the character's strength.

8 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Not really.  The Usable as Attack doesn't mean you are beating someone over the head with the VPP.  It means you can "force someone to have this power (or piece thereof).  There was-- well, I don't know if it was ever spelled out, but for some reason I'm remembering that there is enough in the text to at least imply it-- a sort of understanding that you can automatically hit willing targets with UAA: Life Support, Usable as Attack.  There.  You can force someone to have life support.

The Harbinger of Cheeze: Gun Pool, Usable as Attack.  You can give someone a gun.  Or rather, force them to have a gun, if they are not willing.  Who knows why you would force someone to have gun: maybe old 90's trench coat-over-a-catsuit-chic guy was framing all his victims, or arranging the crime scenes to look like suicide.....

Ah, the 90's trench coat.  The cape for guys too cool to have corny old capes, but still wanted someone flapping in the wind behind them in every scene.....

Damn.  Those things were as ubiquitous as brooding, little pouches, and one glowing eye.....

On 12/28/2019 at 10:55 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

10 hours ago, Tywyll said:

On Monday, he picks up (or uses) the Greatsword Skullcleaver in Iceland.  While using it, he Attacks the sword with his UAA Teleport.  He has now hit the sword.  He puts it back where he found it.

On Tuesday, flies to Africa.

On Wednesday, he Triggers (or ends the Delayed Effect) the Teleport, at which time Skullcleaver suffers the effect of being hit with that Teleport back on Monday and teleports to the character.

11 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Definitely a VPP with that can make any weapon, Physical Manifestation. I'd just go the Fate/Stay Night route and say he makes copies. That way you don't have to worry about taking an enemy's weapon or where the weapon is at the time he wants it. He makes perfect copies(within his points limit)  and you can have the cool scene of fighting an enemy with identical weapons.

What happens if two people have this Sword Word and want to call the same weapon?