Astromech Droid

Archade

Hey guys …  here's my take on an Astromech Droid as a race package -- any suggestions or critiques?

--------------------------

Droid (Astromech): Also referred to as an astro droid or mech, is a repair droid that served as an automated mechanic on starships. These compact droids use tool-tipped appendages stored in recessed compartments. Many starfighters rely on astromech copilots to control flight and power distribution systems. In addition to its piloting duties, could calculate hyperspace jumps and perform simple repairs.

Most astromechs were only able to communicate in writing, conveyed via another computer system, or through a special code of clicks, bleeps, and similar sounds, known as binary.

Starting Characteristics: STR 8, CON 13, INT 13, PRE 5, PD 8, ED 8, BODY 15, END 40.  16pts

Language:  Basic (4 pts, literate. 0pts

Durachrome Form: Resistant Protection (8PD, 8ED). 24pts

Artificial Life Form: (life support total). 35pts

Automaton: Takes BODY Only (no effect from stun, no STUN characteristic, takes damage on the droid damage chart below).  45pts

Automaton: Does Not Bleed (does not lose additional BODY below 0). 15pts

Dense Structure: Knockback Resistance -4m. 4pts

Photoreceptor Relays: Eidetic Memory. 5pts

Computer Interlink:  Analyze Computers (15+INT/5 or less, analyze). 9 pts

Base Programming: 12 points of the any of the following – computer programming, electronics, mechanics, PS astrogator, security systems, systems operation, transport familiarity. 12pts

Distinctive Features (Droid): concealable with effort, noticed and recognizable. -10pts

Physical Limitation: Can only speak binary (very frequent, slight). -20pts

Physical Limitation: No hands (very frequent, great). -25pts

Social Complication (Droid): restricted civil rights, suffers from prejudice, very frequent/minor. -15pts

Circuit Overload: Vulnerable to Electricity (common, x2 damage). -20pts

Mechanical Gait: Running -2m (10m total). -2pts

Option – Onboard Computer Systems (Absolute Time Sense, Lightning Calculator). Variable

Option – Utility Claw (5 STR, OAF -1, No Fine Movement or Manipulation -1, Character cannot use own STR -¼). 2 pts

Option – Holoprojector: Eidetic Memory (5 pts, OIF -½, only to remember things received/transmitted -½, only up to 30 minutes of recordings -½, Sight Group Images (5 pts. OIF -½, set effect only received/broadcast images -1, only up to 30 minutes of recordings -½). 4 pts

Option – Fire Extinguisher: Dispel (4d6 vs fire powers, expanded effect + variable effect all fire powers simultaneously +4, 60 pts), limited range (6m, - ¼), 4 charges (-1). 26 pts

Option – Radar Sensors (radar radio group, discriminatory, increased arc of perception 360 degrees, telescopic +14 versus range modifiers, 32 active points), OIF (-½), concentration 0 DCV throughout -1, costs END to maintain -½. 11 pts

Option – Utility Saw (HKA 1d6, 15 pts), No STR Mod -½, no knockback -¼. 9 pts 

Option – Rocket Boosters (Flight 10m, 10 pts) OIF -½, limited maneuvrability -¼, 4 continuing charges of up to 1 turn each -½. 4 pts

Total: 165 points plus Options ; Complications 92 points (+42 points to character creation)

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Maybe a physical complication that it inexplicably is unable to communicate in plain language like every other droid

I won't argue the appropriateness of that, however I will point out that it doesn't work if the droid stays in the source material.   One of the things that bugged me endlessly is that no one ever doesn't understand what it's saying.

4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I won't argue the appropriateness of that, however I will point out that it doesn't work if the droid stays in the source material.   One of the things that bugged me endlessly is that no one ever doesn't understand what it's saying.

It's like Morn from DS9. We may never hear him talk, but people are always talking about what he said

9 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Yeah, I understand. (And it's an extremely dated concept that a droid wouldn't have enough memory or internal room to have a voice module to speak in the same language as everyone else. Even Alexa can speak in English.)

But remember in the movies for more than getting the general gist of what Artoo was saying, while flying the X-Wing Luke had to look at his screen and read a translation.

For HERO purposes, you could just argue that every one of the main characters has an 8- language skill of knowing whatever language that it is that Artoo speaks. 

So characters could understand it but not speak it unless they had access to musical instruments and the additional skill to play those.

In the Extended Universe, there was a name for the language but I don't recall what it was at the moment.

But there was an amusing chapter in one book where Yoda needed to travel incognito so they chose to put him in an astromech shell. Since he couldn't see very well, Yoda ended up rolling around like a drunken astromech and making random beeping noises which confused other droids.

And he had trouble getting served food for some reason. :D 

So the real question is it an astromech which is more difficult to understand? Or is it Yoda?

"The Force encompasses all but bantha sandwich it does not feed me, yes!"

The reason R2 couldn't speak English like every other droid was because it was cute, and that's what Lucas wanted.  There's no deeper meaning or logic to it.  I mean you can come up with something if you try hard enough but it will be retrofitting something to make it work rather than the real reason.  And it worked, it made the little thing charming and enjoyable even when it was mean to C3P0.

Everyone seemed to understand eveeyone else's language.  Fine; I have no problem with that.  I dont even need it addressed (though i do appreciate that Farscape took a moment to do so).

And I honeslty thought the screen in Luke's ship was more about the sound / vacuum issue thatln translation.

But honestly-

Ah; skip it.  Lets just say if,you are looking for logic or consistency, Star Wars is decidely,not the place to start.   :lol: