Multipower - Same Power, Multiple Slots

Hugh Neilson

Question

I think at least one older edition included a rule that the same power could not be purchased multiple times as separate slots in the same multipower.  It appears this restriction did not make it to 6e.

This seems to open the system up to, say a 60 point MP pool with Fixed slots like:

- 6 slots of +10 PD

- 6 slots of +10 ED

- 6 slots of +2 OCV

- 6 slots of +2 DCV

I doubt this would slip by most GM,s, who would require 1 Flexible slot for each of +60 PD, +60 ED, +12 OCV and +12 DCV (doubling the total cost of slots).  However, the statement on 6e v1 p 399 below seems to indicate the above approach is book-legal.

A character may have two Power Frameworks, or two slots in the same Framework, that both add to or affect the same ability bought outside any Power Framework (or the same  Combat or Martial Maneuver, or the like).

To frame the above into a question (well, two questions);

- Is the above construct legal under 6e rules?

- Assuming it is, is the above construct intended to be legal under 6e rules, outside of GM override?

1 answer to this question

I don't recall any such rule from previous editions. But assuming it did exist, it doesn't in the 6th Edition. What you're describing isn't necessarily illegal under the rules, but I think most GMs would want an explanation of why a player wants to do things that way -- I certainly would. Offhand it doesn't strike me as particularly logical, and I would suspect the player of Shenanigans. ;)

If you want to continue this discussion further to get at any related issues, or to dive into this further, feel free to PM me.