Happy New Year 2020!

Pariah

On 1/3/2020 at 12:16 AM, Old Man said:

The only reason I stayed up until past midnight was to make sure the house didn't catch fire.

Never have to worry about that.  Between worrying about that on Memorial Day, July 2nd, July 3rd, Independence Day, and Labor Day.  The neighbors are busy re-stocking their firework supply for next Memorial Day

On New Year's Eve, the local classical station KQAC (I always think of it as "K-Quack!", which would probably not amuse them at all) has an annual countdown of most popular works. Since it's a classical station, the countdown takes several days to finish. I did not vote in it.

Maybe I should. The #1 piece, played at such a time as to end with the year, was Anotnin Dvorak's Symphony #9, "From the New World". Which is almost a chauvinistic choice. Dvorak was a Czech, a political dissident back home in what was then the Austro-Hungarian Empire,, and at the time teaching and conducting in New York City (not exactly an exile, but close enough). Thus American classical buffs tend to claim the Ninth as their own, especially since he used American music for inspiration (the famous second movement was inspired by a Spiritual). The music  is as much Czech as it is American, of course -- Dvorak was understandably homesick.

Still, I think his seventh symphony is much better. But it doesn't get performed nearly as often in the US. The situation may be different in Europe.

If you really wanted to start the year on a distinctly American note, one of Aaron Copeland's ballets would be a better choice in my opinion.

Well, I must admit those YouTube mixes that crop up from what I listen to gets interesting.  Once I had both Disturbed and The Dillards (who played the Darling brothers on the Andy Griffith Show, I was looking for the song they always in their appearances "Dooley")

Another I had the themes from Benny Hill and Platoon together.