Addendum to Multipower Question

dsatow

Question

This is an addendum to Hugh Neilson's question(Dec 28, 2019).  Part of it is clarification that strength from a multipower slot can add to HA/HKA in another slot as it applies to other powers.  Most of these questions come from the argument that there is no reason to ever buy a variable slot in a multipower as its much more cost effective to buy several fixed slots of the same but varying power. (you can look at the forum discussion here).  The arguments are all just RaW, not by GM fiat, as the GM is the final arbiter of any game.

1) Is there a limit when slots adds to an outside power?  For example, can one buy a 1d6 blast outside the multipower and then have 5 slots each adding +3d6 blast for 16d6 total?

2) Do slots adding to an outside power need to be exactly compatible?  For example, in the example in question 1, could one of those slots have the penetrating advantage on 2d6 and still on the whole do 15d6 even if only 2d6 is penetrating?  As a separate example, can one have +10rPD to add to the characteristic PD which doesn't have the resistant advantage?

3) It seems that the general rule on frameworks is that two frameworks can add their slots to modify an power outside the framework, but it also notes that Strength and HA/HKA from two frameworks do not add.  So, can two frameworks both add Strength to the character and then a framework slot add HA/HKA to a HA/HKA outside the framework and still be considered OK to add them together?  Example: Bob the Brute has a multipower slot with 3 levels of DI both usable at the same time a slot with HKA.  He also has another multipower(or VPP) with 1 level of growth slot and a base bonus to STR slot.  He has outside of any framework a HKA.  Does the rules say that they all add together (his base STR, his growth STR, his DI STR, his bonus STR to his outside HKA and HKA slot)?

Happy New Years by the way!

1 answer to this question

Thanks for the post. I don’t have time to go read a whole thread, but at least I have a better understanding of where Hugh’s and your questions are coming from.

1. The rules do not restrict how many Power Framework slots (either from the same or multiple Frameworks) can add to the same outside power. However, the GM could, and should if he considers it necessary to preserve game balance, dramatic sense, or common sense. As I mentioned in Hugh’s thread, if I saw something like this I would suspect Shenanigans and want an acceptable explanation from the player before I’d allow it in my game.

2.  Because I don’t want to have to deal with all the possible exceptions and problems, and I suspect most GMs don’t want to either, the rule is that all the slots adding to an outside power, and that outside power itself, have to be, as you put it, “exactly compatible.” They have to have the same Advantages, Limitations, and whatnot, or they cannot add together. Of course, the GM can change this if he wants to, and is willing to deal with the possible implications. As long as something like that didn’t have the potential to slow down or unbalance the game, I might be willing to allow it in one of my games — but another GM might feel differently.

3.  The rule on 6E1 398 notes that STR from a slot in one Framework (including STR from DI or Growth) can’t add to an HA/HKA bought as a slot in another Framework. But if the HA/HKA is outside of any Framework, then any STR gained from a Framework slot could add to it — provided that no other slot from any Framework already adds to that HA/HKA. So in the example you describe, if Bob uses Framework Slot Z (“+1d6 to my HKA bought outside the Framework”) to add to his HKA, then he can’t also use STR gained in any way from another Framework slot to improve the damage done by that HKA. However, as long as he doesn’t use Slot Z to add to his HKA, then he could use his STR gained from other Framework slots to increase the HKA’s damage.

As with any situation that involves increasing damage, this is definitely a situation the GM should pay close attention to so that it doesn’t unbalance the game. The important thing here isn’t following the Rules As Written so much as it is that everyone have fun playing the game. As long as the game’s going well and none of the players feel like they’re riding the pine while Many Multipowers Man does everything better than they can, whether you’re obeying every little rule in the book doesn’t matter — at least as far as I’m concerned. ;)