SteveZilla

Question

If I make a power with Damage Over Time with a long time between increments (say, 1 hour; -2 value), and apply the Target's defenses only apply once (x2) modifier, I presume it is not a -4 modifier at that point and should instead be a -1?

Note this is referring to just the interaction of TDOAO and Increments of longer than every turn.

1 answer to this question

I’m not entirely sure I understand what you’re asking, so I’m going to answer by creating an example and hope that I work my way around to what you want to know. ;)

So, for a DoT power I start out with a base +1 Advantage. I want 5 Increments, which is another +1. I want the Time Between Increments to be 1 Hour, which reduces the value by 2. That gives me an overall value of +0.

But wait! I only want the target’s defenses to apply once. So, as noted on 6E1 329-30, that doubles the value of the “Number Of Damage Increments” modifier. Thus, instead of +1 it becomes +2. So that means I have (+1 + +2) + -2 = a +1 Advantage.

Let’s suppose instead that you also didn’t want to be able to use the power on the target a second time until the first use has run its course. That requires you to double the “Time Between Damage Increments” value. So that means I have (+1 + +2) + (-2 x 2) = a -1 Limitation.

Does that make sense and answer your question? If not, please PM me or post a follow-up and I’ll keep tryin’. ;)