Beverly Hillbillies

Foxiekins

On 7/4/2020 at 7:04 AM, Tjack said:

The Addams side were at the Salem witch trials so I’ll guess an English background for them.

Whilst a part of the family were at the Salem trials, Gomez and Mama (Grandma Addams) moved directly to the US from their home in Spain when Gomez was a child, presumably sometime after the death of Gomez' father. Actually, it caused problems for Gomez a little later, when it turned out that his father had signed an arranged marriage contract with a friend to wed Gomez to his friend's daughter. Gomez isn't Spanish by ancestry (or rather, not just by ancestry,) he's literally Spanish by birth.

Mama is Gomez' mother, and Fester is Morticia's Uncle. The films changed these facts, along with making the family even more explicitly supernatural and a lot more evil. Then the subsequent cartoons, tv reboot, musical, and animated film, all changed a variety of things a lot.

I mightn't know the Clampetts too well, but the 60s Addams family, I know pretty well.

• 6 months later...

The Clampett clan's exceptional vigor was implicitly due to their rugged mountain backwoods heritage and upbringing, compared to "city folk." Rather like how Robert E. Howard distinguished between "barbarian" and "civilized" men.

I think that's it in a nutshell, basically an exaggeration of Hill folk and their skill and personal health.  But the shooting isn't too much of an exaggeration; they had to be that good.  When you could barely afford lead to make one bullet, you had to make every shot count.  The stories are jaw-dropping, including one little gal named Annie Oakley.

11 hours ago, Bozimus said:

Nerds.thumb.jpg.55f2e91344dbce98b0cadd9242253fa8.jpg

😛

This is a internet site devoted to a role-playing game about Superheroes........at what point were you expecting James Bond levels of cool.     Schmuck.

1 hour ago, Jhamin said:

Likely, also a martial arts style with slaps, eye gouges, and a surprisingly effective Martial Block. 

Stooge-fu is actually in the Ninja Hero sourcebook.

9 hours ago, Tjack said:

This is a internet site devoted to a role-playing game about Superheroes........at what point were you expecting James Bond levels of cool.     Schmuck.

You thought I was being serious?!? Did you miss your morning coffee or did you critically fail your "Detect Irony" roll?  Maybe you just didn't see the emoji?  Here is another for you...🙄

36 minutes ago, Bozimus said:

You thought I was being serious?!? Did you miss your morning coffee or did you critically fail your "Detect Irony" roll?  Maybe you just didn't see the emoji?  Here is another for you...🙄

Nooooooo. I was just piling on for comedic effect.    That’s why the slam in Yiddish.  Let’s just chalk it up to the fact that print does not easily convey tongue in cheek very well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 8:37 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think that's it in a nutshell, basically an exaggeration of Hill folk and their skill and personal health.  But the shooting isn't too much of an exaggeration; they had to be that good.  When you could barely afford lead to make one bullet, you had to make every shot count.  The stories are jaw-dropping, including one little gal named Annie Oakley.

Audie Murphy had to similarly careful as a kid, if i remember.

Thinking today.

Mr. Drysdale and Thurston Howell team up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Drysdale isn't a teammate, he's a parasite. He'd be all about getting as much of Howell's money as he could for his bank, and holding onto it for dear life.

I’ve been thinking, Milburn Drysdale may have gotten a bad rap. He took the Clampetts money and make investments for them that multiplied their fortunes many times over.  Buying the movie studio for example. There was an episode where a group of wealthy investors were following Jed around for financial advice never believing Milburn when he said HE made all the investments.  Jed would say something about “good stock in Texas” referring to cattle and they’d run off to buy oil futures. 
   Maybe the old man got lucky, but he did run one of the biggest banks in Beverly Hills before the Clampetts ever struck oil.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

I’ve been thinking, Milburn Drysdale may have gotten a bad rap. He took the Clampetts money and make investments for them that multiplied their fortunes many times over.  Buying the movie studio for example. There was an episode where a group of wealthy investors were following Jed around for financial advice never believing Milburn when he said HE made all the investments.  Jed would say something about “good stock in Texas” referring to cattle and they’d run off to buy oil futures. 
   Maybe the old man got lucky, but he did run one of the biggest banks in Beverly Hills before the Clampetts ever struck oil.

Drysdale is not quite that evil a banker. As you know, when a banker does well, the banker does well.

No, Milburn Drysdale wasn't evil. He wasn't a criminal, he managed the Clampetts' money responsibly, because if they did well, his bank did well, and he did well. In the first season of BH he was actually written as a more mature, responsible individual. But the show was a comedy, and Drysdale quickly evolved into a caricature of a banker. He came up with all sorts of shady schemes to promote the Commerce Bank of Beverly Hills. On several occasions he stiffed people on fees for services rendered. And the merest hint that the Clampetts might withdraw their money sent him into a panic.

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

No, Milburn Drysdale wasn't evil. He wasn't a criminal, he managed the Clampetts' money responsibly, because if they did well, his bank did well, and he did well. In the first season of BH he was actually written as a more mature, responsible individual. But the show was a comedy, and Drysdale quickly evolved into a caricature of a banker. He came up with all sorts of shady schemes to promote the Commerce Bank of Beverly Hills. On several occasions he stiffed people on fees for services rendered. And the merest hint that the Clampetts might withdraw their money sent him into a panic.

I agree, there’s some Murphy’s law kind of thing that says the longer a sit-com goes on the more the characters turn into caricatures of themselves.  Look at Al Bundy in the first episode of Married with Children versus the last.

Most shows are more subtle but the law still holds.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:15 AM, Tjack said:

I agree, there’s some Murphy’s law kind of thing that says the longer a sit-com goes on the more the characters turn into caricatures of themselves.  Look at Al Bundy in the first episode of Married with Children versus the last.

Most shows are more subtle but the law still holds.

Over on TVTropes they call it Flanderization.  "The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until it completely consumes the character."

Named after Ned Flanders from the Simpsons.  In early seasons he was a basically nice, ordinary, prosperous guy who went to church and had a family that loved each other, in contrast to the Simpsons.  A few seasons later he was a Christian Zealot that didn't insure his house because that was like gambling.  He has gotten much worse sense then.

Mr. Drysdale definitely got more and more cartoonish over time, but so did most everyone else on that show.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 10:23 PM, Duke Bushido said:

"Further, it's hard to see Bader believably being "Jethro strong" just based on the physical differences between Bader and Max Baer.  Max was, in his youth, a damned big man."

I spoke with Max Baer back in 2017.  Although his official height is 6 ft 4, I am 6 ft 2 and Max towers over me....at age 82, Max is STILL a damned big man.

Did you know he put ice cubes down Frank Sinatra's back...and yet still lives to tell the tale.....

"Further, it's hard to see Bader believably being "Jethro strong" just based on the physical differences between Bader and Max Baer.  Max was, in his youth, a damned big man."

I spoke with Max Baer back in 2017.  Although his official height is 6 ft 4, I am 6 ft 2 and Max towers over me....at age 82, Max is STILL a damned big man.

Did you know he put ice cubes down Frank Sinatra's back...and yet still lives to tell the tale.....

I remember a BH episode where Jethro gets his draft notice.  Everyone in the family was real impressed that the President sent him a letter....”Greetings!”   Does anybody remember what happened about that? 
   I’m thinking now about Jethro in Vietnam. Slipping through the woods/jungle should be pretty easy for a country boy like him, and we already discussed his being a crack shot.  Besides if the Army could get Forrest Gump through basic training and the Marines put Gomer Pyle through Boot Camp then Jethro Bodine is going to the ‘Nam.

Wow, I’m picturing Jethro as an angry vet like Rambo or the guy from the song Copperhead Road.