Build this power: Bide (from Pokemon)

Tech

For those familiar with the pokemon games, I'm wanting to build a hero who has this power (equivalent). The problem being is how to deal with the double damage returned to the attacker: if energy, then energy; if physical, then physical. Perhaps an damage shield with variable special effect? How would you build it?

Hmm.  It is difficult because you need to affect ranged and hth, normal and killing as well as physical and energy.

My first thought was refection with a naked vsfx blast to add but that really only does ranged blast.

Ultimately, I would be inclined to buy a triggered attack with vsfx and limit it to on 2x the dice of the attack that triggers it.

Doc

"Double damage" in Hero is tough to do, because twice the dice really means that you're taking way more than twice the damage.  If a normal character has a 12D6 attack and let's say 25 Def, then "normal damage" is going to be about 17 Stun past defenses.  So I'd say a "double damage" attack is probably closer to 17D6 (so ~34 past def) than 24D6.

So I'd recommend having a base ranged attack, you can have VSFX if you really want, and then using Absorption to boost it.  Or just buy a big attack, with a limitation "only after character has spent X number of phases soaking up damage first".

Here's my suggestion:

Build it with Absorption into energy blast non-persistent, attack action to maintain (probably a -1 to -2 limitation), succor (-1) but do not add the advantage absorption as a defense.  The energy blast should be outside of any multipower and should probably have an extra time limitation extra phase.  Add in a couple of levels only with the energy blast.

Note, this will not work exactly like the bide in the Pokemon games, as those games use different mechanics, but it should simulate the feel of the Bide maneuver.  You persevere under a couple of attacks then let loose with a bigger power.

Pikachu is biding.  Since he is biding, it ends his phase.  While he can allocate levels to not get hit, he can't dodge or block.

Geodude attacks with an 8d6 attack.  Pikachu is hit and absorbs 8 body.

Pikachu continues to bide ending his next phase.

Geodude attacks again with an 8d6 attack.  Pikachu absorbs another 8 body.

Pikachu is pikapissed and decides to attack.  Pikachu fires off his normal 8d6 blast in his multipower of attacks and the 1d6 outside of the multipower.  This normally would only do 9d6, but from the bide he gains another 3d6.  The lightning bolt strikes for 12d6 damage and because he stops biding, the points gained from biding fade at the end of the phase.

Really?  That's all "bide" is?  Stand still and soak it up for a bigger bang?  (Sorry:  I have only a fractional knowledge of Pokemon: something on the order of Diddly/Squat...  :)  ).  

Yes:  Energy Absorption.  Undeniably.  To go a bit more simply, you can put the disadvantage on the Absorption: something akin to "Absorption stops working with any attack action."  This way, you can --- oh!  "Bide your time."  Okay.  I get it.  Except for the getting whacked in the head with a broom handle bit, that makes sense.  :)   -- anyway, you can "Bide" and absorb right up until you unload with your super-charged attack.