Modern Weapons?

bloomann

Guest Dr.Unpossible

Re: Modern Weapons?

I'm a lil late to the discussion. But here is a great table for use in working out HERO sys fire arms damage.

http://www.starherofandom.com/house_rules/damage_table.php

The firearms damage is based off of the bullets caliber as a starting point. From there you can adjust the damage up and down for special ammo types. The weapons themselves would also adjust autofire or range band increase's decreases. I've found it quite usefull.

Also the old Dark Champion books were quite well done. I at first found the weapon damage a lil low as well. But when you add in the hit location chart it "lethals" it up pretty fast, and the stun damage most firearms do is nasty enough in its own right.

P.S. the d20 Modern Firearms Manual is quite good. Great reference book, along with Ultramodern Firearms from Green Ronin. Both are great additions to a "Modern" HERO gamers collection. Granted there d20 stats, but have lots of usefull ideas and descripttions in them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: P90 Revised (revised)

Just out of curiousity, why are you adding in the Beam limitation? Forgive the possible newbie question.

Next question, will you be posting this Stargate HERO information? I for one would GREATLY appreciate the resource

Beam = see other comments :)

Stargate = when Hunter has stuff ready to use, I'll try to set up a page at starherofandom. Will let you know if/when that happens.

Aroooo

I disagree. The Beam lim (which some have argued is better named "Bullet") does a good job of expressing some characteristics of real weapons: the attack is always at full power' date=' and it can't be "spread" to trade potential damage for a better hit-chance.[/quote']

In addition is probably more accurate as all of these items are true as well. I agree with you that beam is somewhat misleading.

Would that be like a naked advantage??

Aroooo

No, it is an advantage / lim on only part of the attack. At one time I had written up Piercing but I can't find it now, I'm just using the old rules at this point since it worked out to the same cost and is easier. But I think it went something like this

Piercing: standard effect RKA (basically 1 pip per DC bought), only vs rdef, no stun (I think this was -1/2 each, but however it worked out it was a total of -1) so the end effect was 1 Pip Piercing for 3 pts. This is just bought along with the RKA so you would get something like this 1d6 RKA + 1/2 d6 RKA (se, only vs rdef, no stun) which basically gets you 1d6+2 vs rdef or 1d6 against normal defenses.

To give an example of how I used this, I add RMOD, StunX and Piercing to the cartridge, the weapon further modifies this.

So a 5.7mm FN does 1d6+1 RKA +0 Stun X, +2 RMod and 2 levels of piercing (effectively 1d6+3 vs armor)

a 9mm Parabellum does 1d6+1 RKA +0 Stun X, +1 RMod and 1 level of piercing (effectively 1d6+2 vs armor)

a .45 ACP does 1d6+1 RKA, +1 Stun X, +0 Rmod and 0 levels of Piercing

So in the end you have 3 very similar cartridges but one excells against armor and has a longer range (5.7mm), one excells against living targets (.45 ACP) and the third falls between (9mm) much like the real cartridges.

I realize this deviates from Fred but its my game and I'm going to do what I want :P

However these really don't get that far out and do use the existing rules just in a differant way.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: P90 Revised (revised)

I haven't checked this thread in a long time, so sorry if I am re-hashing things...

This write-up is imo insanely overpowered. the weapon should probably be either a 1d6+1 AP with a +1 ocv,+1rmod, or maybe a 1d6 with a linked 1d6, only to penetrate soft armor.

Due to the accuracy, lack of recoil, and flat trajectory, MAYBE a +2 ocv OR Rmod, but not both. In fact, I would say Only rmod.

It has less recoil and a flatter trajectory than conventional pistol rounds. That does not make it a giant killer.

Putting a +2 stum multiple on it makes it a better choice for stopping a target than a .44 magnum, particularly due to the rate of fire. It would not, iirc be autofire 20. I don't think it has a rate of fire of around 2000rpm. I have always figured that the autofire ratings are not a straight translation, because otherwise a minigun could be autofire 100 or more, an A-10 would be autofire 40 or 80! and that is silly.

Otoh, I would write up the minigun as 2 linked autofire 10 attacks.

The gun is good. It is not better than an M-16!

It penetrates kevlar well. It has a wound track that is iirc not as good as a 9mm.

and anyone who would even BEGIN to argue the weapon should affect 20 def armor... WOW.

I like the not versus vehicular armor idea though.

Sorry to rant. Your mileage may Vary.

Forget the above post. I didn't reread the combat section and FAQ's, so you don't really need the MP. I did add a second set of OCV bonuses to negate AF mods (figured as the reduced recoil of the SS190 rounds):

P90 (5.7x28mm) Tactical SMG: (Total: 100 Active Cost, 29 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Limited Armor Piercing (up to 20 PD armor only, not vs. Vehicle DEF, FF, FW; +1/4), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), 4 clips of 50 Charges (+3/4), Autofire (20 shots; +1 1/2) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 11 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Limited Range (200m effective range; -1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 21) plus Reduced Recoil Impulse: +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only to negate Autofire mods (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Sights (optical and/or laser): +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Aroooo

Looks like I'm dropping in on the conversation a little late, but I wanted to post two quick points:

I'm afraid the most extensive HERO system gun listings I know of are in Dark Champions and its supplement, An Eye For An Eye. They are a good decade out of date, though.

They are, but have no fear! In about a month I'm going to start writing the new Dark Champions, and it's going to have more modern-day weapons and gear than you can shake a stick at. :eek: Among other things, it's going to update and expand the rules for creating firearms. I've gathered a lot of additional information and resources on the subject over the last ten years, believe you me. If you ever wanted to know about how to do cool stuff like reversed ogive ammunition, polygonal barrel rifling, and all the latest guns, this will be the book for you. ;)

I believe the firearms stats in FREd were powered down some from 4th edition

They're typically the same, or maybe 1 DC higher. I don't recall offhand if I started this in the old Dark Champions or not, but the new DC will track the basic info in 5E, generally speaking. ;)

One good conversion source mentioned before is 3G^3 (Guns Guns Guns) from the folks at Blacksburg Tactical Research Center (http://www.btrc.net/html/catalog.html#3G3). [This copied from the first page of this thread...]

To go with this book, I would also recommend More Guns. It is a companion book with about 200 weapons statted out for you, from caveman to the future.