I have never used HERO Designer.

CaptCastle

OK, that's not totally true . . . I did use the software that came with a copy I used to have of the 4th edition hardback, but haven't messed with anything like it since.  My question is has there ever been talk or is there talk now of including with the software the ability to design costumes of the heroes and villains in our games?  I am sure many know about programs like HeroMachine and iirc there was at one time a program that let you design characters in the style of the DCAU.  Also back in the day I did my share of creating characters in City of Heroes/Villains and the Champions mmo.

If there was a version of Hero Designer that included software to visually create characters and their costumes, I know I would get lots of use out of it.

CaptCastle

4th Edition came with software for character creation called HeroMaker.

Hero Designer is built to assist in building characters and other builds (vehicles, computers, etc.) for 5th or 6th Edition.  It basically performs all the calculations for a build.  It is very very good at that specific task. 

It has some other built in functions as well a being able to "export" the completed item for printing and such. 

It has no "art" functions, though as Gnome BODY pointed out you can attach pictures to builds.