How Would you Build...Heaven

Tywyll

I think the biggest problem with this is the first step of defining what heaven is.  Very different for a lot of pagan religions, different even between different sects of Christianity or Islam. 

I think those differences could quite easily change the powers used.

Valhalla.  You fight all day, feast all night and start again in the morning as you prepare for Ragnarok.  You could consider that an EDM to Valhalla but you are changed, you would not seek to escape valhalla or the daily death that you may suffer, so there is definitely a transform in your complications somewhere.  You are also unable to go anywhere else, so there has to be a mechanism preventing escape but not banishment...

So.  What is your idea of heaven? 😄

Doc

2 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

XDM, UAA, Megascale Area, Continuous, Limited (to dead worshipper souls only).  Apply QoL modifiers like Dimensional and 0END as needed. 

Edit: Megascale Area, not just Megascale.  Important part of the thought got trapped in brain instead of making it to keyboard. 

Okay, cool. There is still a chance this will not work though, right? Or does the fact that you centre it on yourself and extend it over the world mean it would 'auto-hit' all your follower's souls? 

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

I think the biggest problem with this is the first step of defining what heaven is.  Very different for a lot of pagan religions, different even between different sects of Christianity or Islam. 

I think those differences could quite easily change the powers used.

Valhalla.  You fight all day, feast all night and start again in the morning as you prepare for Ragnarok.  You could consider that an EDM to Valhalla but you are changed, you would not seek to escape valhalla or the daily death that you may suffer, so there is definitely a transform in your complications somewhere.  You are also unable to go anywhere else, so there has to be a mechanism preventing escape but not banishment...

So.  What is your idea of heaven? 😄

Doc

Building heaven is actually the NEXT thread... ;)

right now I'm looking for how to get the souls there... 

2 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

... A very large Spiritual Transform?

31 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Building heaven is actually the NEXT thread... ;)

right now I'm looking for how to get the souls there... 

Well, I think that L. Marcus is almost there.  🙂

I would use a spiritual transform, damage over time, sticky.  The original attack from the God emanates from his being into his apostles, his churches and his holy books.  The transform only has effect if the person engages with the religion and worships at the churches and reads the books looking for insight.  Over time the transform increases until the person has been transformed into a "worshipper".

Death is a difficult thing if you are going to talk afterlives because death no longer means death (as in the end of the game!).  Instead it means a changing point.  At that, there is Gnome BODY's XDM.  Now we actually have our worshippers defined, we can apply the XDM with more precision...

2 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

XDM, UAA, Megascale Area, Continuous, Limited (to dead worshipper souls only).  Apply QoL modifiers like Dimensional and 0END as needed. 

Edit: Megascale Area, not just Megascale.  Important part of the thought got trapped in brain instead of making it to keyboard. 

1 hour ago, Tywyll said:

Okay, cool. There is still a chance this will not work though, right? Or does the fact that you centre it on yourself and extend it over the world mean it would 'auto-hit' all your follower's souls? 

The basic idea is to blanket the world in a "Every time I get a Phase, my dead people go to my heaven" field.  Should be pretty infallible so long as the field covers everywhere a worshipper is likely to be.  Not functioning in unusual places (eg, hell) may be a desired feature or a bug to be patched. 

On that note, a lot of the details will depend on other details.  Maybe this god lives in a sky palace, so all that's needed to reach the world is Megarange (or enough Megaarea).  Maybe he lives in his heaven, so he needs the Dimensional modifier to project the field across planes.  Maybe there's a bunch of heavens/hells and you can go there before dying and he may need the Dimensional modifier to dump his field there too (or maybe dying in a heaven/hell should trap your soul there, as mentioned earlier).  Maybe the soul can't leave a body if the mouth is closed, so we need a Limitation to reflect that.  Maybe he has his servants do the soul-moving so they should have single-target soul-move powers. 

First, your god buys a Base.  Distant location (other dimension), high enough Defense to prevent people from blasting their way in (with Affects Desolid and Hardened on the Def, maybe even Transdimensional even though I don't think you technically need that).  I'd buy a high level of Change Environment to keep the weather perfect (effectively a counter to anyone trying to make Heaven an unpleasant place -- if you've got +/- 20 levels of temperature change "only to keep it nice" then you're probably good).

Then, your god buys some options for that Base:

50 points Mental Defense, Usable By Others (all the souls in Heaven) -- defined as "contentment".  If you were to build depression or anxiety in Hero, it would probably be some sort of continuous mental attack, so now you've got enough Mental Defense that you're unaffected by that and so you're happy.

20D6 Mental Illusions/Mind Control/Transform, NND, Area Effect, only to make people feel happy -- if the Mental Defense isn't enough (or you think people's default state is misery), then choose your preferred power for emotion control and lay it on.  People feel happy in Heaven, and their old cares seem very distant and unimportant.  Mental Illusions would also make Heaven appear exactly as you think it should appear, a personalized Heaven.

Full Life Support, Usable By Others (all the souls in Heaven) -- You never get sick, and you never die.  Thanks, Wilford Brimley.

Some form of conventional Defense (Armor, Force Field, just a high PD & ED), plus a massive continuous Healing power with Resurrection -- nobody can kill you in Heaven.  Even if some jerkwad breaks in and blasts you with a 20D6 RKA, you'll be fine.

20D6 Transform NND, to "heavenly body" -- Everybody looks good in Heaven.  You get a couple levels of striking appearance/+10 Comeliness, all your Physical Limitations disappear (goodbye nearsightedness), and if you didn't have a great physique before, you do now.

30D6 Mind Control NND Continuous Area Effect, "be good" -- There are rules in Heaven.  Don't try to rape anybody.  Be a good person, don't try to blaspheme your god, don't try to set the place on fire.  I'm looking at you, players.

--

You buy all these powers 0 End Persistent, possibly Inherent.  Heaven is just a great place.

Finally, you get your preferred method of transport.  Extra-Dimensional Movement plus a Healing Resurrection power would be fine.  Combine it with a "Detect: the faithful" sense and you should be good.

11 hours ago, Tywyll said:

This is a weird one I've been trying to wrangle for awhile. How would  you build a god's ability to take the soul of their worshipper upon death and put it in an afterlife? I know this would typically just be hand waved, but could it be built? 

A huge killing attack.

9 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Assuming the target wants to go to heaven, they can simply "stand still" and voluntarily take the hit.  Just like you don't have to roll to hit with a Healing power on someone who wants to be healed.

There could even be a limitation: Willing Targets only, so that those with "unfinished business" can remain behind as ghosts.

The real question is, how do you build a flashlight in heaven?

On 1/21/2020 at 3:38 AM, Tywyll said:

This is a weird one I've been trying to wrangle for awhile. How would  you build a god's ability to take the soul of their worshipper upon death and put it in an afterlife? I know this would typically just be hand waved, but could it be built? 

I'd just assume that every character with a soul was capital-c Created with a 0-point Complication that their soul goes to whichever appropriate place upon death.

15 hours ago, mattingly said:

I'd just assume that every character with a soul was capital-c Created with a 0-point Complication that their soul goes to whichever appropriate place upon death.

To be fair, what got me thinking about this was Godbound, a game in which you play people with shards of divinity. After their awakening, people who worship them have their souls drawn to the godbound upon death. If the godbound spends resources or conquers a plane, they can fashion a heaven for these floating souls. The default state of all souls in the setting is that upon death (assuming they aren't given burial rites), all souls go to Hell (because true heaven is broken and God is gone).