RIP: Terry Jones

Cygnia

"I really wanted to write, but in those days that wasn't at all the sort of thing a grammar school could encourage. Primary school had been quite different, and they'd really taken an interest in my poetry, but the grammar school took the attitude that you can't ever make a living out of writing so stop thinking about it. The best you can hope for is to become a teacher. There was one master, Mr Martin, who encouraged me; he used to read my essays out to the class, and that really helped me get through - feeling somebody appreciated the kind of things I wrote. But otherwise I had a feeling that grammar school was like being fitted out with a straightjacket. It certainly fitted and was very practical but you couldn't expect to do anything in it."- Terry Jones

I'd say you broke out of that jacket and then some, Sir. RIP

I will always remember him for two types: the nagging housewife and for the stereotypical businessman with no clue about the wider world.

I think this was Terry: "Well I've been in the city for twenty-seven years and I would like to see the reintroduction of flogging. Every Thursday, round at my place."

Terry was the character who asked why the sheep were trying to fly (and the incongruity of a city businessman walking through the countryside in a full suit wasn't even mentioned) and the man being harassed by the filthy-minded nudger.

Being a good straight man is a gift few have mastered.

When he gets to the pearly gates I want him to look up and see a gigantic foot coming down....just before he gets squashed it stops and God comes out from behind a curtain and says “Just screwing with ‘ya mate, love your stuff. Come on, we got a seat right up front waiting for you. Hendrix and Joplin are going on in ten minutes.

R.I.P.

IIRC, none of the Pythons had much use for organized religion. For many, Life of Brian came close to destroying the intellectual underpinnings of Christianity itself, because if we know Brian was a false Messiah, do we have better evidence that Jesus was a true messiah.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the UK becoming one of the most non-religious countries on Earth?