Valid Trigger Conditions

SteveZilla

Question

Hi Steve,

In regards to the Trigger advantage (specifically as used in the "Instant Change" power build in 6e1, p307, sidebar) what condition(s) would not be suitable?  It is my current (and possibly incorrect) understanding that it can be basically "Whenever I Want To Change Costumes" (though limited by the rules for Zero-Phase Actions).

Also, is the PER Roll to spot a Trigger usually waived for dramatic effect for this use?  It'd be a bad disguise if people could detect the Instant Change ability of Superman.  ;) 

1 answer to this question

The question of what are "suitable" or permitted Trigger conditions is one I leave to the wise and understanding GM. ;)  Personally I tend to be pretty broad and permissive regarding what characters can do with Trigger, since I think it's a key way to build all sorts of cool abilities, but some GMs may be more restrictive regarding it.

The same applies to your "dramatic effect" issue -- that's a definite GM call. ;) Your reasoning is sound, and for that reason I probably would be pretty forgiving about not letting people PER Roll their way into Superman's secret identity. But OTOH, I can think of some intriguing roleplaying and campaign drama situations that might arise if someone did see through a character's disguise.... }:)