Equipment doubler followup

Lord Liaden

Question

Steve, in response to ChocolateMousje's question on this subject, you remarked: "if a character wants two distinct pieces of equipment, he should pay for each of them. " By this do you mean two identical pieces of equipment built the same way, each costing the character the same amount of Character Points?

If so, what if any are the restrictions on when you can use equipment bought with the five-point Doubler, and what it can be used for? For example:

1) Can a second weapon bought with the doubler be used as part of a Multiple-Power Attack, or with Two-Weapon Fighting?

2) Can a second item of defensive equipment like a Force Field generator add cumulatively to defenses with the first one?

3) Does a second item that's an Accessible Focus require a separate disarming action to take it away from a character, or a separate attack targetted to destroy it?

4) Any other practical differences between a second piece of equipment bought with the Doubler, and one a character pays full price for?

I hope that was clear. As always, your input is much appreciated. :)

1 answer to this question

Well, I don’t mean to be snide, but I meant “two distinct pieces of equipment,” ;) which I was constrasting with a single power bought with a special effect of having two guns (or whatever).

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. No.

Obviously, these are simply default answers; individual GMs should evaluate things on a case-by-case basis. I suspect many GMs (including myself) would be reluctant to allow lots of defensive gadgets (#2) to add together all the time. As always, common sense, dramatic sense, and appreciation for game balance should prevail.