Batman (2021)

Cassandra

I like Affleck's look and physicality, but I prefer Kevin Conroy's voice, especially since he never did that stupid thing where he speaks normally as Bruce Wayne and then adopts a whispery, death metal cookie monster voice as Batman. The only other Batman portrayal that I think is something special is Adam West's. All the others range from utterly forgettable to merely passable.

9 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I remember when they said Michael Keaton wouldn’t make a good Batman. I’ll give him a chance.

I never objected to Michael Keaton, even though I thought it was a strange choice.  It's Tim Burton I questioned.

11 hours ago, Starlord said:

Keaton won a Golden Globe and Critic's Choice and was nominated for an academy award as best actor only a few years ago...as well as playing a damn good Vulture recently.  He's doing just fine IMO.

Ironically, it was for playing an actor whose role as a superhero had wrecked his career.

Well, maybe not so ironically, because that was Keaton's experience. Reports were he would have signed on for a third installment, but the studio fired Tim Burton from the franchise and let Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer go with him. None of their careers were the same since. I think WB were fools not to let Burton make his third Batman film, at least creatively, compared to what Batman Forever became. (A better director could have made better use of the theme of Batman seeing Dick Grayson on the path he had followed -- a path which had wrecked any chance Bruce Wayne ever had of a normal life).

Bale in BB made Batman scary. The whole movie is built around how scary Batman is. This was underitilized in Dark Knight, but that probably is not too surprising.

Nicholson's and Ledger's Jokers are so unlike each other than they're not the same character. Nicholson is brilliant, showy and flashy -- the living embodiment of camp made frightening. Ledger was less a human being than a living force of elemental chaos. I still don't know what his ultimate goal was, or whether he even had one. 

And the Animated Series was so well acted all round. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill will be forever links as Batman and the Joker. Hamill's version even managed to turn up the revolt factor a notch with the introduction of Harley Quinn and the way he treated her.

I will just say that Michael Hopcroft said what I would have said only i would not have said as well, so DITTO.

I liked Keaton as Batman even before the movie (I have witnesses who I argued with) having seen him in Clean and Sober just prior and realizing he could do playboy and scary.

Would have been really interesting if they had gotten him to do a cameo in Crisis. Make him be the older Batman to Terry's Batman Beyond as a counterpoint to Conroy's Kingdom Come inspired one.

All the various Joker incarnations are (pop) culturally iconic at this point, but that doesn't mean I necessarily like them. Both Romero's and Nicholson's portrayals are too campy for my tastes. And while I think the Nolan movies have numerous problems, Ledger's Joker is not one of them, and is my favorite live-action incarnation to date.