Breaking Universes

Anaximander

Just don't allow a Star Wars captain to end your universe by letting her be the first person to ram an enemy vessel at hyperspeed.

Because then all capital ships are a waste of resources as they get annihilated by droid-operated ramming drones just large enough to have a hyperspeed drive.

Or Force Lightening.

Palpatine:  Hi guys, I'm back in town for a couple of weeks.

GM:  Hey, good to see you.  Still got your Dark Lord of the Sith character from before?

Palpatine:  Sure do.  The DM where I live now runs a higher point campaign, but I'm sure I can make it work.

Two Session later

Palpatine:  Rebel fleet is advancing on my temple?  I'll show them.  I use Force Lightning!

GM:  On who?  Rey or Kylo?

Palpatine:  No, the Rebel Fleet.  I raised my Force Lightning to 10d6 RKA - Cone - AoE.  From here I can hit everything between low orbit and where I'm standing.

GM: . . .

A Starfighter hit the bridge of a Star Destroyer and took it out in RotJ. So I’m not sure why the angst the hyper drive ram in TLJ.  I see as a surprise me once. In game I would say that the ship gave off certain reading that can be detected and thus avoid such things from happing again.

Palpatine’s Force Lightning trick is weak as to what is cannon. Starkiller in the Force Unleashed ( which is canon idb) pulled down a Star Destroyer and Dorsk 81 in Darksaber (which is now legends) pushes an entire fleet out of the Yavin system. Though it did cause his death. The bar for ridiculousness has already been set. 😁

The biggest problem with the hyperdrive maneuver is that that is not how hyperdrive is supposed to work in Star Wars.  In Star Wars, hyperdrive sends you into an alternate dimension with different time-space physics.  So the time in which a Star Wars ships maintains a high velocity is very short.  For that matter, it isn't supposed to work within the gravity well of a planet either without instantly obliterating the offender.

The singled kamikaze attack taking out a super star destroyer is stupid, but hubris is the greatest weakness of the Empire; so, it's not outside of reason.

I've not read much material outside of the main movies; so, I have no idea how to respond to the Force lightning issue, but ultimately, not what can be done with Force lightning.  It's what Palpatine can do with Force lightning.  At no point in any of the movies or the Clone Wars series, does Palpatine show the capacity to knock out entire fleets with Force lightning.  Admittedly, he might have been holding back as part of his grand plan or could have used the time out of lime light to build up his power, but if so, there should be an explanation as to why he did not exhibit that level of power before.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:04 AM, Duke Bushido said:

I strongly dislike the phrase " the original series." 

It implies that there were others....  ;)

My idea for Star Trek is to place it some where between the original series and the movies while adding in nuggets from what I like best of the later series and from some of my own ideas.  I'd keep the design of the original uniforms and phasers.  Older ships would like the ships from the series.  New ships would look like the ones from the movies.  Klingons would be divided into two subspecies, one with the ridges and one without, and they would still be an enemy species.  I would add some of the races from TNG and DS9, and I would make Federation society and economics into something I consider more realistic.  (I'm sorry.  I just can't buy into some of the political and philosophical views espoused by Roddenberry long enough to maintain a whole campaign.)

On 2/17/2020 at 10:29 AM, ScottishFox said:

Just don't allow a Star Wars captain to end your universe by letting her be the first person to ram an enemy vessel at hyperspeed.

Because then all capital ships are a waste of resources as they get annihilated by droid-operated ramming drones just large enough to have a hyperspeed drive.

Or Force Lightening.

Palpatine:  Hi guys, I'm back in town for a couple of weeks.

GM:  Hey, good to see you.  Still got your Dark Lord of the Sith character from before?

Palpatine:  Sure do.  The DM where I live now runs a higher point campaign, but I'm sure I can make it work.

Two Session later

Palpatine:  Rebel fleet is advancing on my temple?  I'll show them.  I use Force Lightning!

GM:  On who?  Rey or Kylo?

Palpatine:  No, the Rebel Fleet.  I raised my Force Lightning to 10d6 RKA - Cone - AoE.  From here I can hit everything between low orbit and where I'm standing.

GM: . . .

It's this sort of making the villain too powerful that causes players to quit Champions and make them start playing Injustice: Gods Among Us.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:55 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

The hardest Universe for me to figure out a ROG would be Battletech. Love the game but by canon it seems hard to run a game when you want all the Houses to be represented. The canon does have some internal conflict but they came out that any discrepancies was either intentional or unintentional by Comstar.

Yeah, The Houses are meant as multiple-choice antagonists not character splats.  Too bad they are all so typey that it's hard not to want to use them that way.
A Battletech group that is made of up members of each nations would be a lot like a Cold War Superspy game with a Cuban, an American, a Soviet, and a Vatican Bishop all in the same party.  Who would they oppose?  (Which is I think why Bond had to have SPECTRE).

I think the closest they came to a mixed group like that officially in the Battletech universe was a squad of mercs that had all lost their worlds to the Clan Invasion & had banded together to stop the Clan Tide.  Which only works in-universe for around 12-18 months before the Truce ossifies the battle lines.