Birds of Prey (2020)

Cassandra

Is it just me, or is Harley Quin rapidly going the way of Wolverine, Gambit, and Deadpool before her: Overhyped, overexposed, and when it comes right down to it, frankly not that interesting a character?

Oh, and we can throw Batman himself in what that lot too, as far as I'm concerned.

14 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Is it just me, or is Harley Quin rapidly going the way of Wolverine, Gambit, and Deadpool before her: Overhyped, overexposed, and when it comes right down to it, frankly not that interesting a character?

Oh, and we can throw Batman himself in what that lot too, as far as I'm concerned.

I think for those that are movie goers chiefly, she's still new ish

The only one of the group that I don't get is Gambit. Now I was an X-Men fan and saw it when he was introduced. And as far as I am concerned he is nothing special at all.

Batman you expect to be overexposed. He and Spiderman have, or had, a lot of monthly titles and a very good rogues gallery of foes.

Deadpool came out of Rob Liefeld and is a counterbalance to the Mary Sue that is Cable. For that reason alone I give him a pass.

Harley came out of the cartoon and graduated into the comic. Again her, I am trying to think of a better word than exposure, appearances are not as numerous as Batman and Wolverine.

I like Margot's portrayal of Harley. But Ewan McGregor as Black Mask might be the reason to see the film

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I only accept classic Harley Quinn.

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn . . . who's going to be paying attention to Rosie Perez as Montoya? :P

*Raises hand*  "Me, me, me, me!!!"

Just thinking about the sex scene from Do The Right Thing still gets me a little twitterpated.  Also, I like women around my own age.  I am funny that way.  

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I only accept classic Harley Quinn.

I believe Margot Robbie could make a fantastic Harley Quinn.  It is too bad they decided to make something else.

All the reasons that made HQ such a great character have been ditched in favor of........  I just don't know any words to describe it without being banned. 

A truly epic disappointment....

25 minutes ago, Spence said:

I believe Margot Robbie could make a fantastic Harley Quinn.  It is too bad they decided to make something else.

All the reasons that made HQ such a great character have been ditched in favor of........  I just don't know any words to describe it without being banned. 

A truly epic disappointment....

well, they did have to go with the Suicide Squad reboot of Harley Quinn.  Which I describe as "stripper raggedy Anne".

6 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

But Spence it’s Girl Power!!!!!!

on a serious note,  that is one thing that bothers me with current cinema.   You can back throughout cinema history and find  strong female characters  (hell, like 99% of Maureen O'Hara* characters alone, for example) who were compelling characters.    Girl Power has become a way to make a "strong" female character without making them compelling, or strong for that matter (other than as an informed attribute)

*I could also go with Barbara Stanwyck, Katherine Hepburn, and a half a dozen others.

51 minutes ago, Badger said:

on a serious note,  that is one thing that bothers me with current cinema.   You can back throughout cinema history and find  strong female characters  (hell, like 99% of Maureen O'Hara* characters alone, for example) who were compelling characters.    Girl Power has become a way to make a "strong" female character without making them compelling, or strong for that matter (other than as an informed attribute)

*I could also go with Barbara Stanwyck, Katherine Hepburn, and a half a dozen others.

Rosalind Russell, Ella Raines, Joan Crawford

1 hour ago, Badger said:

well, they did have to go with the Suicide Squad reboot of Harley Quinn.  Which I describe as "stripper raggedy Anne".

And people wonder why SS did so poorly........

"stripper raggedy Anne" :rofl: 

Actually reminded me of the pro's off base in the 80's. 

One of the reasons I really disliked SS.  They took a great character and replaced her with an image of an 80's pro.  Unforgivable.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

That was my gripe with Star Wars. We need to make strong women! Ok then why don’t you use the strong women that have been portrayed through other various media through the years?