Theories Why Romulans are Irish on Star Trek Picard

Cassandra

1.  The show is shot in Ireland making it the worst thing to be produced in that country since the DeLorean.

2.  A desperate attempt to get Lucky Charms to sponsor the show.

3.  Saint Patrick's prophecy of the Irish taking over the Universe in 2200 has come true.

4.  The only way they could convince Patrick Stewart to work for CBS is to tell him he's doing Angela's Ashes.

5.  The work of Leprechauns.

6.  The Irish colonized Romulus.

7.  The Writers only watched a Chief O'Brien focused Episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine as research for the show.

8.  It's all a Romulan Plot to confuse the audience.

9.  CBS All Access doesn't really exist.  It's all a massive scam that "Produces" shows no one will ever want to watch.

10.  They just don't care.

Actually, how does one create a believable, consistent fictional accent?  If you give all characters who speak Romulan an Irish accent, there is at least a consistent ability to recognize who hey are within the fiction (as long as we don't have a bunch of characters from Ireland who also have Irish accents).

Would it be better if they all had American accents?

1 hour ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Actually, how does one create a believable, consistent fictional accent?  If you give all characters who speak Romulan an Irish accent, there is at least a consistent ability to recognize who hey are within the fiction (as long as we don't have a bunch of characters from Ireland who also have Irish accents).

Would it be better if they all had American accents?

In Babylon 5, a lot of the Centauri had (sometimes bad) Eastern European accents. It worked. It actually lent a sort of unity to the characters as a people, I thought.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

No-one would believe someone is a villain if they have an American accent. Why do you think so many British actors/actresses get work in Hollywood ? We do villains and the audience believe it

*Sigh* I assure you, Hollywood gets plenty of mileage out of Southern Accents (Southern US that is) as the bad guys.

Not often INTELLIGENT bad guys, because hey, that stereotype they can get away with, but definitely bad guys.

3 minutes ago, Hermit said:

*Sigh* I assure you, Hollywood gets plenty of mileage out of Southern Accents (Southern US that is) as the bad guys.

Not often INTELLIGENT bad guys, because hey, that stereotype they can get away with, but definitely bad guys.

Like that fat Southern Sheriff in whatever Bond movie that was?

3 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Besides, everyone knows the real reason all the Romulans have an Irish accent.  But just in case, I will put it in spoiler tags.

Hide contents

It's a desperate attempt to stimulate a Wings reunion to record "Take Romulus back from the Irish"

I do love Crystal Bernard.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

In Babylon 5, a lot of the Centauri had (sometimes bad) Eastern European accents. It worked. It actually lent a sort of unity to the characters as a people, I thought.

And yet Vir didn't, which is why he was a good Emperor.

1 hour ago, Cassandra said:

I can't help but notice that no one has a problem with a theory that CBS All Access doesn't really exist.

It might as well not exist.

CBS is still hiding their subscriber numbers by combining CBS All Access with Showtime Pass. The combined total was reported in January to be 10 million, and they are hoping to hit 25 million subscribers by 2022. Meanwhile, Disney+ has 28.6 million subscribers, up from the 10 million on launch day (November), and Hulu has about 28 million subscribers as of last May.

Oh, and ViacomCBS is putting out feelers for yet another streaming service, with the promise that they will merge in Paramount product. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/06/viacomcbs-new-streaming-service-to-include-paramount-cbs-all-access.html

11 hours ago, Hermit said:

plus, every Southerner ever:  We don't sound like that!

I wonder if Irish/Scottish/English/etc feel that way when some actor does their accents.

33 minutes ago, Badger said:

plus, every Southerner ever:  We don't sound like that!

I wonder if Irish/Scottish/English/etc feel that way when some actor does their accents.

Yes they do.  The Brits are still bitching about Dick Van Dyke’s accent in Mary Poppins.   Wait til Lin Manuel Miranda’s version sinks in.