The 2020 Baseball Thread

Pariah

• 1 month later...

Cant say that I am crazy about that.  (I think the leagues would be uneven leaning towards Grapefruit).  But, keeping early season games to Az/FL might be a good idea to begin to function again.

Of course, if I think it is a bad idea, Manfred desperately wants to try it, I am sure

Edit: Last time I had checked it was 18/12, 3 teams must have decided to move to Az for spring in the lst few years.

I don't know if we'll have baseball as we're used to it this year at all. Major leagues? Yeah, probably in some form...because there's too much money out there not to.

Minor leagues? Maybe, in some form...because there has to be a place to send players for rehab, etc.

But full farm systems, with a AAA team, a AA team, 3-5 A teams, and maybe a Rookie League team or two? No, I can't see how that would work.

Which is unfortunate, because we have two Rookie League teams here in the Barren Desert Province that usually draw pretty well. I suspect they're effectively shuttered until further notice...and maybe forever. (Remember, some owners were talking about reorganizing the Minors, and the elimination of the Pioneer League was one of the proposed steps.)

Despite excellent attendance, I do not expect the Hillsboro Hops to survive. Which leaves the city of Hillsboro on the hook for a baseball stadium that nobody will be using. Which is not a good thing for a local economy already reeling from the quarantine.

The Hops are in short-season A ball, and that very fact probably means that most of the players will soon have to think of some other way to earn a living.

From what I hear, former player Josh Hamilton decided to go back to drugs, and ended up in some kind of altercation with his teenage daughter.  Here's to hoping the courts never let him back into his family's life, then.   

At this point Hamilton is going to go down in flames, and I only hope he takes no one else with him.

Minor League Baseball will accept MLB proposal that could cut more than 40 teams, report says

If true, this means that two of my state's three Minor League teams--the Ogden Raptors and the Orem Owlz--are no more. That sucks, especially for the city of Ogden, who put up a lot of public money to build Lindquist Field. It has one of the best views in baseball--at any level--and has amenities more in line with a AA stadium than a Rookie League Short Season venue.

i9c5SXoF.jpg

Orem's stadium isn't quite as big a deal, as it sits on the campus of Utah Valley university and is used by the school's baseball team. (Lindquist Field is used by Weber State University's baseball team, but it's all the way across town.)

From the article:

Earlier this month, CBS Sports reported that multiple insiders believed MLB was going to use the coronavirus pandemic to achieve its desired outcome of a new Minor League Baseball reconfiguration. "I absolutely believe MLB is going to use this as their excuse to go forward with their contraction plans," one source told CBS Sports.

Sad news.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't without its points of interest.  The problem is that traditional cross-division rivalries won't happen until the playoffs. And it might have the possibly unintended result of compel;ling the National League to finally join the rest of baseball in adopting the Designated Hitter. Which would be an advantage to teams loaded with offensive talent like the Phillies.

Of course, the big question is still in the stands. Will the games be played without fans in the arena? And how will the revenue come in if they don't?

I could live with it for a year, depending how many teams make playoffs. I would think a 4 divisions would make more sense to enable playoff equality (if doing division winner plus 3 next highest per division, but who knows). I am one who actually likes the 1 game wildcard playoff system, gives a true advantage to the division winner, but in this system, you would have to designate a division winner and someone else for that to work.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

In the latest round of speculation about a potential reorganization for 2020 (and beyond?), The AL and NL would be eliminated and replaced with a structure like this:

EWyPZ1XXsAAloB_?format=jpg&name=small

Three divisions, play only the nine other teams in your own division until the playoffs.

Thoughts?

I'd rather just go with Grapefurit and Cactus League proposals from earlier, if we got to mess with structure for one year.  (of course, initially I thought having one team off in each site would be a problem-if no flights- but you really wouldn't necessarily have to have a traditional series.  You could just 7 games with 1 team off.  THen 7 games the next day, with another team off., etc.

Edit: But, once we get back to normal, yeah, back to regular layout.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

This isn't without its points of interest.  The problem is that traditional cross-division rivalries won't happen until the playoffs. And it might have the possibly unintended result of compel;ling the National League to finally join the rest of baseball in adopting the Designated Hitter. Which would be an advantage to teams loaded with offensive talent like the Phillies.

Of course, the big question is still in the stands. Will the games be played without fans in the arena? And how will the revenue come in if they don't?

THe pitcher hitting is a relic, time to move on.  (especially when whole staffs cant hit .100)

• 2 weeks later...

Will there be baseball in 2020? The league has sent a proposal to the players' union for a shortened season. Some of the specifics include:

• An 80- or 82-game season
  • Play beginning in June
  • Games played in home venues as much as possible (although the Blue Jays may have to play in the States somewhere, maybe Florida)
  • No fans in the stands, although players may invite a few family members
  • Players, coaches, and managers will wear masks except when on the field
  • No mound visits; no coaches in the bullpen
  • Expanded rosters (more relief pitchers, primarily) and the possibility of an NFL-style practice squad that a team could draw from during the season
  • A three-division realignment like the one suggested upthread a few posts; teams will only play teams in their new divisions
  • An expanded playoff that will allow 14 teams

And then there's the big one:

• A 50/50 revenue split between the owners and the players

The MLBPA has already agreed to prorated player salaries for the season. If they agree to this provision--and I don't believe that's gonna happen--the players stand to make A LOT less money than even the prorated amounts. Without gate, parking, and concession revenues, the available pool of money will be a lot smaller. Half of that smaller revenue spread among even more players than usual? Yeah, I don't see that happening.

This is just the first proposal, of course. A lot of negotiation and detail-wrangling has yet to take place. We'll see what happens.

A follow-up to the previous post:

If MLB 2020 season negotiations stall over money, there's only one side to blame

From the article:

Major League Baseball had revenues in excess of $10 billion last season. For 17 straight years, MLB has set a new record for seasonal revenue. And yet, player salaries have declined each of the last two seasons.

I think a lot of the player salary thing is because of the new way GMs look at Sabermetrics. So the rookie deal, which basically underpays a player for what could be his best years causes part of this. Superstars still earn a lot. But GMs no longer pay for players over 30 like they used to. They aren't paying for what you have done, but now more then ever are trying to pay for what you are projected to do. So where the top end guys (Verlander, Trout, etc.) are still getting major bucks, the middle to lower end players are getting less and less.

I think guys on 1 year contracts this year are really the ones hosed, by pro sports standards. Of course, Baseballs minimum salary is still $560,000 or so. So it is also hard for the common person to feel bad for them. The guy who warms pitchers up in the bullpen as a catcher is getting that, iirc.

• 1 month later...

Given the number of players in other leagues who have been COVID-positive even before training camps have begun, I think an abundance of caution is in order.  You can;t test every day (although you can take temperatures every day, and should) so you will never really know who's got the virus until somebody gets sick. That's a bit more of a risk than I would be willing to take.

Besides, how can you "take me out to the crowd" when there's no crowd?

This is all increasing the likelihood of a work stoppage in 2021, which would be borderline suicidal.