The 2020 Baseball Thread

Pariah

Yeah, that article suggests this incident was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back.  I strongly suspect Plesac's gone.  One year deal, small contract, next 2 years look to be team options.  Being disruptive in the locker room, then doing this?  And the follow-up, immature rant?  Lots of reasons to let him become someone else's problem.

The Rocks lost five of six at home this week--to the D'Backs and Rangers--and now sit two games behind the hated Dodgers.

Next up: A four game home-and-home with the Asstros, followed by three at the Dodgers and four at Arizona.

Havin' some fun now!

Small Sample Size Theater, Pariah.  They had a nice 15-game stretch;  it just so happened to stand out because it wasn't diluted by other games.  

Of course, the entire season is going to be Small Sample Size Theater...less so, the short season, but more the fact that it'll be about the playoffs, with so many mediocre teams in play.  

Looking at the Rockies team stats...I'm seeing 2 good starters in Freeland and Senzatela.  Marquez has been...ok, long as you recognize him as a #4 or #5 starter.  Translation, don't expect that much.  Castellani is kinda similar...but he's not giving enough length.  The bullpen looks to be unsettled, with no clear roles.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

One thing I do hate watching on tv, the canned fan cheering by some broadcast. As awful as canned laughter in a comedy.

Haven't watched any baseball the last several days, as the NBA playoffs have been 4 straight games running 10 or so hours total.  But, yes, there were some of those I heard.  Rather lame.  The cutouts getting hit, and the broadcaster making some joke...I only heard that a few times but that was just idiotic.  We KNOW the situation ye daft fools!!  All those comments have always come off totally contrived.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I was specifically complaining about the 23-5 shellacking they took at the hands of the Giants the other night.

Ahhh, yes, I can understand that.  But the Rockies pitchers stranded 25, that has to count for something......

Looks like the Rockies pitchers were poor throughout, but the train wreck can largely be blamed on Diaz and Hoffman.  They combine to get only 3 outs but give up 3 walks and 8 hits, all of whom score.  They've got 3 relievers with decent numbers (Bard, Almonte, Estevez) but they're all just averaging about an inning per outing.  The rest are a complete sewage pit.  When your starters are averaging around 5 1/2 innings per start...well, nights like this will happen.

Still only one game, and they're still actually in the playoffs.  Besides, this season is a joke anyway.

And for the gimmicks, the only one I like is the NL DH.  Hate the 3 batter minimum (even though my Royals got a rare win more or less by pinch hit HR on the 3rd batter of a hitter, doesn't seem fair to pinch hit with abandon and limit pitching changes, although modern roster construction netters the former.

And for the the extra inning runner, pretty sure that in Futurama that was when the sport became blernball.  The Japan rule of 12 inning ties would be the better route for the reasons given.  On average games getting to the 13th only happen 2 or 3 times per season per team on average, 1+ for a 2020 season.  Plus, saw it in the last wbc turned 2 exciting into anti climatic mess.

I can see the objection to the runner on 2nd in extras, but....  Baseball's #1 problem is lack of action.  No base runners.  Home run, strikeout, or walk.  In extras especially it's blast or bust...far too many hitters are swinging for the fences and nothing else.  One thing the runner on 2nd does, is break that up, big time.

FanGraphs has a story from July about it:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/so-just-how-much-less-baseball-will-the-new-extra-innings-rule-give-us/#:~:text=To start%2C some basic numbers,extra innings roughly every day.

13 innings...they didn't go that deep.  But 22 went 12+...and a story in the Athletic notes the Giants were 3-0 in games 15+ innings long.  It isn't common.

An analytic analysis here:

https://baseballwithr.wordpress.com/2020/07/13/mlbs-new-extra-inning-rule/

I would definitely favor this rule for college baseball, and probably for minor league baseball...with the proviso it applied to ALL games, including playoffs like the CWS.

Well, I did get my numbering from an article  a few years ago. Basically around 10 percent of games went extra, and every subsequent inning had approximately  48 percent of ending it.

So 16 extra innings, 8 past 10, 4 past 11, 2 past 12. Japan is known to call games after 12 inngs a tie. So, it seems hardly worth a drastic change in design for 2 or 3 games a year. The game has called games tied in the past anyway (rain, darkness in the old days)