The 2020 Baseball Thread

Pariah

12 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Except maybe strikeouts, but could be not enough innings to do it.

Never, ever gonna happen.  I get strikeout rates are obscene, and getting more obscene as time goes on, but Nolan Ryan struck out 5714.  Verlander just broke 3000;  CC ended up a touch under 3100.  Scherzer has around 2700, but he's also 36.  3000, yes;  4000, not at all likely.  

Ya gotta remember that Ryan was damn near immortal.  I looked it up;  he had over 1400 Ks after the age of 40 (!!!!).  Even in '90 and 91, he was still a very solid pitcher...13-9 and 12-6, ERAs of 3.44 and 2.91.  At 43 and 44.  As things are now, I think 300 wins is very unlikely, but 3000 Ks will be reached from time to time;  an issue, of course, atop everything else we've mentioned is arm injuries, which seem incredibly common.

Single season strikeouts...well if we go all time....never.  NO way, no how.  Cuz it's 513...a guy back in 1886.  Post-1900, it's Ryan's 383.  For 35 starts, that's 11 a game.  Gerrit Cole had 326 Ks in 2019, and 13.8 Ks per 9 innings...but only averaged about 6 1/2 innings per start.  Striking out that many --> high pitch counts, and therefore, the starter won't go deep very often.  He'd have needed another 35 innings, and to keep that EXTREMELY high effectiveness (Scherzer was 2nd in SO/9, but was more than 1 SO/9 behind) despite the heavier workload.  So...ok, not inconceivable, but very close.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Tonight is the 25th anniversary of this.

Watching the Yankees lose NEVER gets old.  (I blame John Sterling;  I'm simply LOATHE listening to him call a game.)

But what was that weird thing Joey Cora did there...you know...just tapping at the ball?  Isn't that illegal????  Wow, that really looks like something that could be really effective from time to time!!!

(And how the HECK did it take 10 years for Edgar Martinez to be elected into the Hall?  Ridiculous.)

28 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Watching the Yankees lose NEVER gets old.  (I blame John Sterling;  I'm simply LOATHE listening to him call a game.)

But what was that weird thing Joey Cora did there...you know...just tapping at the ball?  Isn't that illegal????  Wow, that really looks like something that could be really effective from time to time!!!

(And how the HECK did it take 10 years for Edgar Martinez to be elected into the Hall?  Ridiculous.)

Martinez was a DH, they didn't want one of those.

I think you can compound the West Coast aspect with the small-market aspect...AND with the fact that they didn't want to vote in a DH.

It's all <BLEEP>.

My, my.  Looks like the Dodgers are probably in;  it's 8-2 altho there's time left for the Padres.  Only bottom 5.  Still...they're out on the edge of the plank now and can hear the saw cutting....

That means we'll have 3 Teams We Love To Hate....Dodgers, Astros, Braves.  So let's add the Yankees and ensure a large chunk of fans will be Disgruntled.

17 hours ago, Cancer said:

Tonight is the 25th anniversary of this.

Funny how KGJr looked thin as a rail but was able to hit with the power he did in an age when many power hitters were bulked up on you-know-what. Not to mention his phenomenal ability in the field -- I attended a few Mariners games in that era as part of a clinic outing and I could count on a spectacular play in center field every time.

It's a shame he didn't get to play in Safeco, the house he built, until the sad ending of his brilliant career.

First, agreed, watching Yankees lose is always nice.

And yes, pretty much hating this final 4 of playoffs (come on Rays).

Padres might have put up more of a fight if they hadn't lost their 2 best pitchers just before playoffs began.

Watching that video, in todays game, I think Cora would be out. I think first baseman got him on back.

Yankees, should probably dump Sanchez, .125 is bad even in a 60 game season. Coupled with a bad 2019.  Plus weak defense. Higashioka isnt long term but he is good #2, to catch 30 percent of time in tandem with another defense first guy.

My dad the yankees fan, we did discuss Sanchez last year. I suggested they were probably better off last year when he was hurt and went with a Romine and Higashioka tandem. My dad did point out his potential and bad luck year. Which was true at the time. Of course Romine is no longer an option.

Sanchez probably could use a change of place. Otherwise, he might be a weak hit, weak field backup catcher with prodigious  power potential. Still useful, but not expensive.

It might have been 2018, when Sanchez hit .186. But, regardless, he provides power and absolutely nothing else. 2 Hrs a week isnt worth it if you go 1 for 19 with 13 is the rest of the week. To be fair his defense has improved the last couple of years.......

From putrid to well below average.

YANKEES

LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rays get an 8th inning solo shot off Chapman  to take the lead, shut down the Yanks in the 9th with a very good stab of a *drilled* ball down the 3rd base line to close it out.

YESSSS!!!!  Someone I can root for!  (And I was born in LA, but Frank McCord kinda killed things for me.)

14 hours ago, unclevlad said:

YANKEES

LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rays get an 8th inning solo shot off Chapman  to take the lead, shut down the Yanks in the 9th with a very good stab of a *drilled* ball down the 3rd base line to close it out.

YESSSS!!!!  Someone I can root for!  (And I was born in LA, but Frank McCord kinda killed things for me.)

For those who care but didn't see it, that at bat was epic. Fouled off a lot of pitches. you could kind of see the HR coming. Also, there was history between them. Chapman last year basically put a 100mph fastball right past his head in an at bat.

The closing line from ESPN's story about Morgan's death:

Morgan is among several Hall of Famers who have died this year, a list that includes Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Tom Seaver and Al Kaline.

You know how, after Christmas, some media outlets do "in memorium" stories?

I don't think I could handle this year's....

Meanwhile the LCSs started yesterday, with the Rays eking out a win in the American League series over the heated-by-almost-everyone Houston Astros (the ones who were caught cheating the last couple of years and ended up firing their manager over it). The Rays have always been the plucky underdogs of MLB, even when they win, because they have such lower payrolls and play in a barely-up-to-code stadium (which may be the last remaining dome in the big leagues). The downside is that the Rays don't have much of a local fanbase because nobody can get to the games.