Silly teleport questions

dsatow

Question

If a fixed location, say at the office of a blue furry demon on the 3rd floor of a building, is destroyed, say the Hulk decimated the building, then 

1) Does the owner of the fixed location instantly know that the fixed location is gone or do they have to wait till they try and teleport and fail?

2) Given that the fixed location is gone and the owner of the power still wants a fixed location, does the player need to have gone to the new location to affix the new location?  I.E. Our blue friend has been to his new office but didn't know his old office had a Hulk standing in it smashing a god of mischief around.  When he finds out his old office is gone, can he immediately teleport to his new office or does he need to go and affix the spot first?

I am calling these silly, because I am pretty sure I know the answers.  However, you can be "tricksy", as Gollum would say, and have come up with a different answer at times.

1 answer to this question

Nah, there are no silly questions. Well, not in this post, anyways. ;)

1. He does not know the Fixed Location is gone until he perceives that it has been destroyed with one of his Sense. When he tries to Teleport to it and fails (when he’d otherwise have succeeded), he can probably guess that it’s been destroyed, but he won’t know for sure until he verifies that fact with his Senses — all he knows for sure is that he can’t get there for some reason. See 6E1 301, middle left column, the paragraph above the “Velocity And Facing” header, for some discussion of this general issue.

2.  Since a Fixed Location can “never change” (see 6E1 301, very first words at the top), by a strict reading of the rules the Character Points spent on a Fixed Location that has been destroyed are lost. (Alternately, the Fixed Location remains in effect; it’s just not what he’s used to, and may now be dangerous to Teleport to.) However, I expect most GMs will let the character have those points back to create a new Fixed Location. In that case, what the character has to do to establish the new Fixed Location is up to the GM. Speaking only for myself, I would require your character to visit the new Location and spend at least a minute getting a feel for the place, but other GMs may differ (and of course, special effects may play into this consideration).