Posting Characters

pawsplay

37 minutes ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Existing versions didn't suddenly lose PDF functionality.  The files should be backwards compatible for a period of time, and you can always not update.  It's only new purchasers who are out of luck. 

On 2/16/2020 at 4:04 PM, pawsplay said:

I'm not opposed to investing in Hero Designer...

Hence, the basis for my response.

Just now, Scott Ruggels said:

Why does it no longer have PDF functionality? Does it lose it with updates? 

The teal deer is that the code Simon didn't write that enabled print to PDF is broken and he's not fixing what he didn't write.  So all versions from that point on won't have the functionality, but prior versions remain unchanged. 

1 minute ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

The teal deer is that the code Simon didn't write that enabled print to PDF is broken and he's not fixing what he didn't write.  So all versions from that point on won't have the functionality, but prior versions remain unchanged. 

Welll that sucks. PDF was a useful way to pass around characters to those without HD.  

On 2/21/2020 at 12:26 AM, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

I believe that code was written by a third party (can't remember who) with a minimal amount of assistance from Simon. It's breaking now because of changes to the framework it was written in. Unless that third party steps up and updates his code, the most practical thing is for the feature to be removed. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently BB code no longer works for dropping in characters if one wants to share here. HTML also comes out looking like raw output (code) rather than a nice page. So for me, I guess it’s, print the character sheet, scan it, post it to Imgur or another image sharing site and linking it here. The old BB code used to allow for some nice looking results. 

On 2/16/2020 at 4:43 AM, Doc Democracy said:

A lot of folk obviously use Hero Designer and post files.  That excludes those that have not bought the software.

I tend to design my own sheets for my games (using PowerPoint actually) and convert them to PDF to post to the board.

Doc

Doc,

I was wondering if you'd be willing to share what your sheets look like. I don't have Power Point, but I do have the Google Docs equivalency (I think!) :)

4 hours ago, Tedology said:

Doc,

I was wondering if you'd be willing to share what your sheets look like. I don't have Power Point, but I do have the Google Docs equivalency (I think!) :)

Well, I do something different for every game I run really.  Have a look at the content I have uploaded, there are several examples of character sheets and how I present them. The most relevant is a collection of different files.

You will notice that I uploaded them all as pdfs.