Martial grab and crush

Ninja-Bear

Question

I am just wondering (and perhaps over thinking this) if you have a Crush maneuver that follows a grab and miss, I know that you don’t lose the grab. However do you still retain the strength bonus of a martial grab? We always played this way but lately thinking about balance, if don’t automatically hit with crush cause it’s a separate maneuver I would think that a miss (or even hit) you should lose your martial strength bonus since now you’re doing a separate maneuver.

1 answer to this question

Sorry for the delay in responding — the latter part of February was unusually busy, and then food poisoning/a stomach bug sidelined me all last week. I’m only now catching up with things.

I’m not sure I understand the question. Crush has to follow a Grab, but it can’t follow a “Grab and miss” — if the Grab misses, by definition the character can’t use his Crush. So I’m going to restate the question to what I think you’re asking — if I’m wrong, please post a follow-up question and we’ll get it all taken care of. ;)

Q:  If a character uses Martial Grab (or another Grab-based Maneuver that provides a bonus to STR for purposes of retaining hold on the target), and then uses a Crush or other attack that must follow a Grab, and the Crush misses, does the STR bonus from the Grab continue to apply for purposes of retaining hold of the target in later Segments?

A:  Yes, the STR bonus from a Grab-based Martial Maneuver remains in effect as long as the Grab remains in effect. A miss with a following attack (such as Crush) doesn’t affect that, unless the rules specifically state that the character has to let go of the target (as he would if he Threw him, for example).