Original PC: Joules

pawsplay

What's different if Witchcraft hits Defender with her Mental Blast?

As for SWAT tactics, I'm trying to picture a situation where they all decide to spread out. Normally they are either guarding something or intruding. If, indeed, they spread out, or remain apart, they don't have much of a chance against her individually. So unless this is a game of Laser Tag, where Joules starts in the center with no cover and they are all spread out in a radius around here, I don't get it.

If using her CSLs defensively while she Dodges is a problem, assume she Blocks on phases 12 and 8.

So anyway, I'm tired of talking about Joules versus the overpowered Quake Arena team. As I said, I'm going to be retooling her, and I think some the commentators here will be more satisfied. But I'm not remolding her as a mobile tanks, I don't have a problem with low probability takedowns, and no character is invulnerable. She's also deaf in one ear, and potentially easily blackmailed by a mind reader. And Defender has no mental defense, Witchcraft is going to have a heck of a time escaping from an immobilize/paralyze power not based on mystic energy, and Ironclad might as well be a mall cop if subjected to mental powers. The whole superhero experience is centered on overcoming challenges, not being tactically invulnerable.

4 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

Well for starters, Witchcraft isn't going to inflict a Stunned result so Defender will have chances to shoot back.  Same with against Ironclad.  In fact, the only Champion she's at least 50% likely to Stunned with her attack is herself! 

10 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

If using her CSLs defensively while she Dodges is a problem, assume she Blocks on phases 12 and 8.

She can't use her CSLs if she does that either. 

19 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

And why is that?

1 hour ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

6e1p69, "a character can only allocate a CSL on a Phase when he uses an attack/power that CSL applies to. For example, if a character has a 3-point Combat Skill Level with his Blast, he can only assign that Level (for any purpose) on Phases when he uses his Blast."

11 hours ago, pawsplay said:

12d6 is the same DCs as Defender's blast and Ironclad's punch, and higher than Arrowhead's arrows or Witchcraft's witchfire. As far as I can tell, it's as strong as any attack in any of the sample characters in Champions Complete except Shrinker's nasty uppercut. So "First off, 12d6 is pretty average offense in a typical Champions game," does not seem to be accurate, the sample characters imply it's the top end for a standard supers game.

I first played a Champions game in 1990. Go ahead and lecture me how it really is.

Gnome has covered off the 12DC standard. 

I first played in...pre-1983, as it was high school, with the 1e book.  However, as indicated previously, your games may run differently than our games.  However, as you keep raising the published characters as your examples, I (and I think Gnome) are assuming your games feature similar characters and styles.  What I have found, especially since 4e+ set benchmarks, is that 12 DC is noted as a "maximum" but the "maximum" quickly became the "minimum" as well.

11 hours ago, pawsplay said:

Here's how the proposed battle against seven super cops actually works:

Phase 12: Joules dodges and allocates her CSLs to DCV, and Dodges. Her DCV is now 12. All the cops shoot and miss.

Phase 10: Joules switches to offense, spreads her attack and takes out 2 to 4 SWAT guys.

Phase 8: Joules dodge and allocates her CSLs to defense and Dodges. The SWAT guys all miss.

Phase 5: Joules switches her CSLs to defense, spreads, and takes out two more SWAT guys.

Phase 4: The maybe remaining three SWAT guys shoot, and Joules dodges, and they miss.

Phase 12: The remaining opponents briefly reconsider their life choices as Joules chooses her next approach.

Here's how Hero Phases really work - you start in Phase 12, get a PS 12 recovery and then count up.  From 6e v2 p17

For example, if a character has SPD 5, DEX 20, his first Phase in a Turn begins in Segment 3 on DEX 20.

It's been that way since 1e.

So, Phase 12, Joules Blocks with, let's say, OCV 7, DCV 8.  Block is a +0/+0 maneuver.  Dodge does not allow her to use levels.  It's Supers, so blasting their bullets out of flight is reasonable.  As reasonable as, say, a protective electrical force field.

We established earlier that OCV 8 vs DCV 9 is a 50% chance to hit.  I see two possibilities:

(a)  They conveniently cluster up, in adjoining hexes, to make it easy for you to spread to fill four hexes and target four of them at a time.  That means they are all within one range increment, so no range penalties.  You can assign 3 levels, so OCV 6, DCV 9, OCV 9, DCV 6 or anything in between.  Since each successive Block is less likely to succeed, I am assuming you want the 9 DCV.

Your OCV 6 will Block OCV 8 on a 9- (37.5% chance), so let's assume you get lucky and block the first one.

7- is 16.2% likely (BTW, OCV 8 vs DCV 12 should still hit just less than one time in 6, not the "everyone misses" you posit), and after that it's 5- and then you need a 3, so I am thinking you block one sot.

OCV 8 hits DCV 9 50% of the time, so three hit.  Still using Gnomes' damage rolls in order, that's:

- 6 BOD, 18 STUN so Joules is down to 12 BOD, 33 STUN

- 7 BOD, 7 STUN so Joulles is down to 8 BOD, 29 STUN

- 7 BOD, 21 STUN, so Joules is down to 4 BOD, 15 STUN  [BTW, how long does it take to heal 11 BOD with a 10 REC?  Maybe spend some xp on a private hospital room when an average hit will do BOD...]

PS12 she gets 10 STUN back, so she now has 4 BOD, 25 STUN.

Phase 3, she wanted to spread and hit 4 cops.  Will she use:

- OCV 9, DCV 6 for a 95% chance to hit DCV 5 for 8d6 (average roll 28, probably at least STUNs them)

- OCV 6, DCV 9 for a 74% chance to hit DCV 5 (probably gets 3 STUNNED)?

Phase 4

3 shots at OCV 8 against DCV 6 (83.8% likely to hit) - likely to be two hits minimum, and that rounds in your favour:

9 BOD, 27 STUN means Joules is Stunned with 20 STUN past defenses and is now at -2 BOD and 5 STUN

9 BOD, 18 STUN so that's +8 BOD and -6 STUN

OR 4 shots at DCV 9, same two hits with a 50% chance, so same result.

Phase 5 - Joules recovers, so she has 4 STUN, 4 END and -8 BOD

Phase 8 - Joules goes first - what next?  She does not have enough END to attack or fly away, and she is bleeding out.  The cops whose armor activated recovered from being Stunned on Phase 4.  A full attack will cost you 6 END, so 1d6 STUN (50/50 to KO you).

(b)  The cops spread out, so you can't hit as many with a significant DC spread, but some might take range penalties to hit.  I think we've already established how well that is likely to go.

Sorry, but math does not lie.

10 hours ago, pawsplay said:

An average of 21 STUN does not, I believe, Stun Defender, so he gets to act on his phase.  I'm not sure he will win, but he has a better chance of at least getting an action.

As for SWAT tactics, I'm trying to picture a situation where they all decide to spread out. Normally they are either guarding something or intruding. If, indeed, they spread out, or remain apart, they don't have much of a chance against her individually. So unless this is a game of Laser Tag, where Joules starts in the center with no cover and they are all spread out in a radius around here, I don't get it.

First off, it was you who said she can mop the floor with a squad of SWAT agents.  That implies they are not crammed into a 6' x 8' room.  If they are, perhaps they should consider some using the Grab maneuver, given her 10 STR, or a Trip to halve her DCV, while the rest delay to see if they get a half DCV target.

Is she attacking by surprise?  That would give her a major advantage.  Are they?  Then they have a huge advantage.  Gnome and I have both assumed, I think, both sides are aware of the other.  I will note that THEY are not Overconfident, though.  Joules is.

Even arriving together, I doubt they want to stand shoulder to shoulder, so assuming they are all in adjacent hexes seems less than reasonable tactics on their part.  Do you want to paint a different scenario that assumes neither a perfect setup for them nor for Joules?

It's not a problem.  They don't apply unless she uses her electrical blast powers, which she cannot do when she dodges.  That's not nearly complicated enough to be a problem.

As seen above, Blocking does not help much either.  She would likely do better if she assigned her CSLs defensively and attacked.  If the SWAT team graciously lines up shoulder to shoulder, that might make this more of a horse race. Let's try that:

PHASE 12

OCV 6 hits DCV 5 74% of the time - 3 cops are hit and stunned.

The remaining four fan out so you have to spread at least three hexes to get two of them.

OCV 8 hits DCV 9 50% of the time, so two cops hit.  Still using Gnomes' damage rolls in order, that's:

- 6 BOD, 18 STUN so Joules is down to 12 BOD, 33 STUN

- 7 BOD, 7 STUN so Joulles is down to 8 BOD, 29 STUN

PS12 she gets 10 STUN back, so she now has 8 BOD, 39 STUN.

Phase 3, she wanted to spread, but now she can only hit 2 cops.  I assume she will use OCV 6, DCV 9.

But look - the two cops saw what happened to the first three - they Abort to Dodge and are DCV 8.  Assume you beat the odds and at least hit one, so he is stunned.  Now we have three clustered, Stunned cops, one non-clustered Stunned cop, one Aborted cop and 2 cops with actions in...

Phase 4

Four cops recover from being Stunned (or maybe lightly KOd).  One Aborted.

Two shoot OCV 8 vs DCV 9, so one hits

- 7 BOD, 21 STUN, so Joules is down to 4 BOD, 25 STUN  [BTW, how long does it take to heal 11 BOD with a 10 REC?  Maybe spend some xp on a private hospital room when an average hit will do BOD...]

Phase 5 - Joules can target a cluster of 3 cops or 2 that are not clustered.  They will likely Dodge, but at least they will not have Phase 8 actions.  Let's take 3 out now and 2 on Phase 8. 

Phase 8 - two cops left who can shoot, and 50% means one should hit.

9 BOD, 27 STUN means Joules is Stunned with 20 STUN past defenses and is now at -2 BOD and 5 STUN

Phase 10 Joules recovers from being Stunned.

So, Phase 12, your move.  At least four cops left, and you can target no more than two with enough damage to reliably STUN them.  You have 5 STUN, and you are now bleeding out.

Maybe with luckier rolls, especially not getting stunned, which is an above average BOD roll (at least 7, so not much above) with a 3x Multiple (so only 1/3), you could take down the SWAT team.  But you are now bleeding to death. 

OVERALL

We've run several scenarios, none of which end well for Joules.  I don't think any of the Champions would have had as much trouble with the same SWAT team.

Given your clear belief there will be no issue, it seems like your games may not be at the same "standard supers" level.  As we can't see this non-standard result, only that any Champion takes you down easily unless you can avoid their attacks and flee, and that multiple approaches to the SWAT team leave you bleeding out, if not KOd or dead, we see a character who will not work very well in a standard Supers game.

In fairness, if you were not up against Killing Attacks, you'd "only" be soaking up 1 - 5 BOD damage every time a 10d6 - 12d6 Normal attack hit you.

My earlier advice stands

Have you asked other players in the game to look over your character?  Have you asked your GM?  Do the Brick and Battlesuit have similar CVs and markedly lower damage?  Would Joules easily hit them?  Would a 12d6 Blast or two take them out?

Massey, Gnome and I approach this from our experience, in typical games we have played in.  The game you are building for could be completely different.  But if it is a typical Champions game, I don't think your build will be very successful.  From your comments, you believe the character's defenses are fine.  So run the character and let us know how it goes.

She may play better in a team environment, but only if they treat her like a glass cannon that needs almost as much protection as a DNPC.  Or if your game is not "standard Champions", a possibility not to be lightly dismissed, especially if similar characters have been fine in the same group.

12D6 was mentioned as an average, when I think what was meant was "typical." Characters with strong offenses typically take the maximum. If it were "average" you would have some characters with 10D6 and others with 14D6 and that is not how published characters are typically made. A lot of them have 12D6, the maximum, and some of them dip down to 8D6 or 10D6 because they don't max out that value for whatever reason.

I'm not really going to debate anymore about whether SWAT guys would be standing next to each other in a normal situation. Normally, SWAT teams do not surround an opponent with distance between them and try some gunslinging. Video of SWAT:

Fictional example:

If you, as a GM, are having the SWAT guys act like a bunch of super cowboys, I'm going to say you are doing it wrong. Real SWAT teams don't spread out and take wild shots, and you don't see them act them in movies, as a rule, either.

Real SWAT teams also don't fight people they know can throw 3-4m radius balls of electric death. 

EDIT: And for that matter, real SWAT teams don't use the pistols my fights included.  They use much nastier things like assault rifles, shotguns, ballistic shields, and flashbangs.  The flashbangs in particular turn it from "a fight" to "a slaughter" because Joules will be blind and deaf partway through P12 and on the ground KO'd and bleeding out by the time she recovers her senses. 

59 minutes ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Real SWAT teams also don't fight people they know can throw 3-4m radius balls of electric death. 

EDIT: And for that matter, real SWAT teams don't use the pistols my fights included.  They use much nastier things like assault rifles, shotguns, ballistic shields, and flashbangs.  The flashbangs in particular turn it from "a fight" to "a slaughter" because Joules will be blind and deaf partway through P12 and on the ground KO'd and bleeding out by the time she recovers her senses. 

I was going to say 2d6+1 is not a lot more powerful, but it would mean more hits that stun, and an extra 2 BOD per hit against someone taking BOD already will get ugly.

The flash would be painful to many characters, but I agree halving Joules' DCV with her defenses would not end well.  She stuns 4, one of the remaining 3 FlashBangs, the other two double tap (Multiple Attack)...even the pistols will get very messy.

To some extent, it is the KA's that make this really ugly.  If all they had were 5d6 Normal rubber bullets, a hit would not often STUN and would average 17.5, 10.5 after defenses.  But VIPER agents carry much higher normal damage weapons.

She'd have a shot if she could get that first "stuns 3 or 4 of them" shot off.  But if they were armed for non-lethal takedown, flashbangs, mace and tasers seem more likely.

The practical reality is that "lightly defended" in Hero needs to prevent most or all BOD damage, and the lightly defended character needs a better DCV to avoid taking a lot of hits.

As to Rorschach, they were not, I think, expecting someone with an AoE Energy Attack (nor were there a bunch of energy projectors in the Watchmen universe), and that was about 7 guys with nightsticks who beat him down.  I think he has a better CV advantage too.

We could always move the scenario indoors where the SWAT guys stay behind cover and move up one or two at a time - even without the flash-bangs, I am still liking their odds.  And once you spread a blast to hit two or three, I think they would adjust their tactics, including not bunching up close and cozy.

In the interests of good conversation, I'm going to request the Joules and/or the Champions versus SWAT team discussion be moved to another thread. It's a fascinating topic, but I don't think belaboring the numbers is really going to help me beyond the suggestions already made.

Joules (3.0)

Revision notes:

- OCV and DCV boosted, she was reconfigured with just two CSLs for tricks or the occasional damage boost. She should now better clear some statistical thresholds if she ever finds herself in the position of battling a half dozen to a dozen supercops disguised as a SWAT team. ;)  Will also help with VIPER agents and ninjas.

- Invulnerability was toned down, it's still a substantial defense against any electricity she's likely to encounter, and can always be increased later with experience later if she joins a Powerful Supers campaign. I also spent a few more points to make her Damage Reduction special-effect based, rather than resistant, in case some smart aleck hits her with a weirdly built attack.

- Champ electrigue has been formally relegated to the party trick status it rates, as a multipower slot. Slapping Unified Power resulted in a substantial point savings and makes sense. This suite is for all her powers where she expels electricity.

- She now wears a reinforced costume. In true comic book fashion, bullets always hit her vest, and other attacks do less damage in general do to the effort of striking her unarmored body.

JOULES

10 STR 0

20 DEX 20

20 CON 10

14 INT 4

15 EGO 5

16 PRE 6

9 OCV 30

9 DCV 30

3 OMCV 0

4 DMCV 3

5 SPD 30

4 PD 2

6 ED 4

8 REC 4

40 END 4

15 BODY 5

40 STUN 10

SKILLS

3 Bureucratics 12-

3 Charm 12-

3 CK: base city 12-

3 Combat Driving 13-

10 +2 CSLs with Electrical Blast powers

3 Conversation 12-

3 Forgery 12-

3 Gambling 12-

3 High Society proficiency 12-

3 KS: History 12-

1 Language (French, fluent conversation)

2 Mechanics proficiency 10-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 PS: Antiques dealer 12-

3 PS: Softball 13-

3 Teamwork 13-

3 Trading 12-

PERKS

5 Contact: Mayor 11- (access to major institutions)

2 Fringe Beneift (hero)

5 Money (well off)

1 Positive Reputation (hero of the city, recognized 11-) +1/1d6

30 Vehicle (Suzuki Hayabusa), 2.5x1x1m, 200 kg (-1), STR 20, DEF 4, BODY 11, DEX 20, OCV 7, DCV 7, SPD 4, Move 62 x 4 (Max 992m)

TALENTS

6 Combat Luck (rPD 3, rED 3)

POWERS

48 Electrical Blast: Multipower, 60 point reserve, Unified Power

5f 1) Lightning Blast: 12d6 Blast against ED, Unified Power

4f 2) Shocking Bolt: 9d6 Blast, Half End, No Knockback, Unified Power

5f 3) Immobilize: 6d6 Entangle, Takes No Damage From Attacks, Unified Power

4f 4) Repulsion: 8d6 Blast, Double Knockback, x2 END, Unified Power

5f 5) Champ Electrique: Blast 4d6, Area (radius 4m), Constant, Mobile, No Knockback, No Range, Personal Immunity, , Unified Power

12 Electrical Levitation: 18m Flight, x2 END

13 Detect Electrical Current, Ranged, Increased Arc 360 degree

29 Invulnerability: 10 rED Resistant Protection, Only Protects Against Electricity and Power Defense 6, Only Protects Against Electricity-based Adjustment Powers and Damage Reduction: Electricity 25%

14 Reinforced Costume: Resistant Protection 6 PD/6 ED, IIF

COMPLICATIONS

10 DNPC: Cheryl Blair (Normal, Frequently)

15 Physical Complication: Deaf in left ear (-3 to Hearing PER Rolls; Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Psychological Complication: In love with Cheryl (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Complication: Overconfident (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Rivalry: Daniel Erikson (Romantic, Very Superior position, Unaware of Rivalry, Outdo)

15 Social Complication: Public Identity (Frequently, Major)

5 Social Complication: Secret (affair with Cheryl (Infrequently, Minor)

COSTS

Characteristics 167

Skills 55

Perks 43

Talents 6

Powers 139

Background/History: Tiffany Morgan grew up in an affluent family. A childhood accident revealed her mutant ability to absorb and project electricity. Tiffany's mother Ashleigh made her keep her powers a secret and forbade her from practicing with them. Much to her parents' chagrin, Tiffany became a liberal arts major, and then joined a women's softball team. After college, Tiffany worked as a furniture dealer before opening her own high-end antique furniture business. Her destiny changed when she witnessed a supervillain attack on TV, and rushing to the scene, used her powers for the first time in public. At first adopting a mask and racing costume, Tiffany was not able to hide her identity for long. Tiffany has had an on-again, off-again romantic affair with her assistant Cheryl Blair, something that could blow up in her face or be used against her if it became widely known.

Personality/Motivation: As Joules, she is a confident, swaggering hero. Privately, she is self-conscious about her powers, not having much experience in using them with any force. Tiffany sticks up for innocent bystanders and will not hesitate to challenge any terrorist or villain -- regardless of their powers.

Quote: "I'm afraid I'm going to have to charge you for that."

Powers/Tactics: Joules is a straightforward combatant, using distance and safety to launch powerful attacks when possible. Joules can manifest her powers as a variety of megavolt effects. She is all but invulnerable to electricity herself. Joules is bold and inspired, sometimes to a reckless degree. Her costume incorporates a protective vest and padded armor for her limbs, with armored gauntlets, boots, and a mask. Tiffany is deaf in her left ear, the result of a childhood ball accident.

Appearance: Tiffany is an athletic, light-skinned woman with a blond pixie cut hairstyle. In her day to day life, she prefers a little more elegance than a typical preppie look, often sporting stylish suits. As Joules, she wears a dragonfly green domino mask, a cream-colored jacket, green riding pants, black gauntlets, and high black boots.

Give the Invulnerability and the Flight the Unified as well.  The idea is they are all electrical powers, so a drain on one will be a drain on all.  With the point savings, buy up the flight.  As well you can get extra NCM so that she can fly faster out of combat.  (Maybe eventually being able to go faster than her cycle and being able to get rid of it as she flies faster)

Her CVs are definitely more Supers-consistent.  I'd plan on using the levels defensively for the most part, as her defenses still feel pretty light (13 PD, 15 ED).  An average 10d6 hit vs PD will Stun her, and marginally over average energy will be the same.  12d6 on average (or 6d6 with no defenses, such as an NND or Mental Blast) will stun her as well.

Her own 12d6 Electric Blast would roll 42 on average, less 15 = 27 - 10 Electric only = 17 x 75% = 13 damage past defenses (7 for an average 10d6 roll), so I would not consider her "virtually invulnerable" to electricity, although she is better defended than most characters would be.

Still not sure how you plan on using the motorcycle - I'd probably match its SPD to yours if you expect to use it in combat, although it won't hold up very well to attacks.  Whose name is it registered in, and licensed to?

After a turn or so, you will be feeling END issues - your main attacks cost 6, so adding movement (or using one of those higher END powers) will be pretty tiring.  I guess you have the 9d6, worst case.  A lot depends how long fights tend to last in your games (and if your attack/defense ratios are typical, probably they don't last too long).

Is Champ Electrique priced right?  It has a lot of limitations.  4 m radius is +1/4, you may not need "Mobile" (see V1 p 127 - At the GM’s option, an area-affecting Constant Power with No Range (i.e., which centers on the character who creates it) may move with the character as he moves for no additional cost.)  I assume it is +3/4 for up to 24 meters per phase (actually, why can't you shut it down and restart it, avoiding the cost - maybe it can move away from you?).  Constant is +1/2 and Pers Immune is +1/4 (why bother when 4d6 electric can't hurt you anyway?).

If you made it armor piercing, NND or AVAD, it could at least accomplish something. 4d6, 4 m radius (+1/4), AVAD (NND, force field or electric powers/resistance; +1), Constant (+1/2) would be 55 AP (or 60 if you toss on 1/2 END).  5d6,  4 m radius (+1/4), AP (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), PI (+1/4) would be 56 AP.  You'd get a bit less if it moves on its own, but at least it would have a bit of an impact on those within it.

34 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Her own 12d6 Electric Blast would roll 42 on average, less 15 = 27 - 10 Electric only = 17 x 75% = 13 damage past defenses (7 for an average 10d6 roll), so I would not consider her "virtually invulnerable" to electricity, although she is better defended than most characters would be.

Well, I was thinking about it, and if she stood on top of the Eiffel Tower in the rain, and got hit by a lightning bolt for 4d6 K, she would take about 1 point of BODY damage. So I don't think it's that much of a hyperbole. Obviously a Delta-class electrical blaster is going to "overload her defenses" or something but I think she is pretty good.

Still not sure how you plan on using the motorcycle - I'd probably match its SPD to yours if you expect to use it in combat, although it won't hold up very well to attacks.  Whose name is it registered in, and licensed to?

It belongs to her, and it's heavily insured.

After a turn or so, you will be feeling END issues - your main attacks cost 6, so adding movement (or using one of those higher END powers) will be pretty tiring.  I guess you have the 9d6, worst case.  A lot depends how long fights tend to last in your games (and if your attack/defense ratios are typical, probably they don't last too long).

That is definitely a consideration. She has a decent End and a reduced END attack to fall back on in a protracted battle. Against mega-villains, she might have to Recover from time to time while the team Brick holds down the fort.

Is Champ Electrique priced right?  It has a lot of limitations.  4 m radius is +1/4, you may not need "Mobile" (see V1 p 127 - At the GM’s option, an area-affecting Constant Power with No Range (i.e., which centers on the character who creates it) may move with the character as he moves for no additional cost.)  I assume it is +3/4 for up to 24 meters per phase (actually, why can't you shut it down and restart it, avoiding the cost - maybe it can move away from you?).  Constant is +1/2 and Pers Immune is +1/4 (why bother when 4d6 electric can't hurt you anyway?).

I think so? Mobile is at the base level; if she is flying, she can slow down just a smidge. So with Constant she can mow into opponents. If another teammate is able to deal area damage as well, this may be a way to make short work of ordinary thugs.  I thought about going the AP route but I eventually decided I would like it to be situationally useful, rather than more generally applicable but too mediocre to be worth the effort.

1 hour ago, Mr. R said:

Give the Invulnerability and the Flight the Unified as well.  The idea is they are all electrical powers, so a drain on one will be a drain on all.  With the point savings, buy up the flight.  As well you can get extra NCM so that she can fly faster out of combat.  (Maybe eventually being able to go faster than her cycle and being able to get rid of it as she flies faster)

Invulnerability, definitely not. Even if you drain her other powers, she is like a living capacitor. Flight makes a certain amount of since as a Unified Power but I wasn't sold on the idea. Like, I don't want her falling out of the sky from a low point Drain.

Joules flying from Dallas to Phoenix under her own power is definitely not in the concept. Like maybe some characters tap into the global electromagnetic field or something, but she is principally a blaster who can use her fields of energy to propel herself to an extent. The motorcycle gets her from place to place, and she can use it tactically against street-level opponents. If I were to replace it with anything, it would be a jet or something.

1 hour ago, pawsplay said:

Well, I was thinking about it, and if she stood on top of the Eiffel Tower in the rain, and got hit by a lightning bolt for 4d6 K, she would take about 1 point of BODY damage. So I don't think it's that much of a hyperbole. Obviously a Delta-class electrical blaster is going to "overload her defenses" or something but I think she is pretty good.

Maybe I am misreading, but I thought she had 25% damage reduction, and that your most recent revision made it non-resistant.  An average hit from a 4d6 KA will do no BOD damage.  A maximum hit (assuming no boost for standing on the conductor in the rain) rolls 24 BOD - 10 - 6 - 3 = 5 BOD (assuming Combat Luck works standing in the rain waiting to be hit by lightning, and that she is costumed).  25% reduction would pull 1 BOD off that total if it is resistant.

I tend to look more at Stun damage for Supers, not BOD damage.  She is still resistant to electrical damage, but a 30 ED character (very high, I grant) would take 12 STUN from that 12d6 Electric Blast, and she takes 13.

That is definitely a consideration. She has a decent End and a reduced END attack to fall back on in a protracted battle. Against mega-villains, she might have to Recover from time to time while the team Brick holds down the fort.

Assuming 7 END per phase (half move and attack), she can make it through a turn.  She may not move every phase but she may also use that 2x END flight (or her 2x END multipower slot - but that limitation would be cheap to buy off).  If your game doesn't tend to see long combats, I doubt it will be much of an issue.

I think so? Mobile is at the base level; if she is flying, she can slow down just a smidge. So with Constant she can mow into opponents. If another teammate is able to deal area damage as well, this may be a way to make short work of ordinary thugs.  I thought about going the AP route but I eventually decided I would like it to be situationally useful, rather than more generally applicable but too mediocre to be worth the effort.

I'd start with "if it is no range and moves with her, does that require an advantage?"  Technically, that +1/2 for Mobile should mean you can move the electric field separate from yourself, which you can't, so a reduced or eliminated advantage cost seems fair.  Note also that she could simply shut the power off, move and fire it back up again to get the same basic effect, albeit at the cost of an attack action.

4d6 normal damage strikes me as useless, not situationally useful.  But if you fight a lot of ordinary normals with 2 defenses and 10 stats, I suppose it might not be 125% useless.  Of course, you could then be spreading your Blast to hit a wide area with 4d6 anyway.

Invulnerability, definitely not. Even if you drain her other powers, she is like a living capacitor. Flight makes a certain amount of since as a Unified Power but I wasn't sold on the idea. Like, I don't want her falling out of the sky from a low point Drain.

I think it makes sense that Drained electric powers includes Flight, but I agree on the electrical resistance.

On 2/20/2020 at 3:41 AM, pawsplay said:

COMPLICATIONS

10 DNPC: Cheryl Blair (Normal, Frequently)

15 Physical Complication: Deaf in left ear (-3 to Hearing PER Rolls; Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Psychological Complication: In love with Cheryl (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Complication: Overconfident (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Rivalry: Daniel Erikson (Romantic, Very Superior position, Unaware of Rivalry, Outdo)

15 Social Complication: Public Identity (Frequently, Major)

5 Social Complication: Secret (affair with Cheryl (Infrequently, Minor)

Just curious- is she publicly known as bisexual or gay? Or is the secret the fact that Cheryl is two-timing with her and Erik?

I'll take a look at a build.  She seems like she's a little weak compared to the Champions or some of "standard power" villains although I think she's clearly effective against minions.