HD6 stuck

obsidionclam

• 5 months later...

I'm having a similar issue; I have Java Runtime Environment, ran Jarfix, and extracted the folder into a directory to which I have full access, but HD6.jar won't start.  My only lead as to the cause is a "Header Error" message from 7Zip during extraction.  How do I fix this?

OK...first off, let's stick with the Documents directory for the time being.  Dropbox shouldn't be an issue, but let's work with one variable at a time.

I was assuming given the thread you posted in that you're getting the splash screen when you double click on HD6.jar (indicating the HD is loading)...and that it's getting stuck right around the "Loading Plugins..." point.  

If that is the case, do you show a file "trace.log" in the directory that you're running from after the problem occurs? If so, please post the contents of that file in a follow-up.

If you are _not_ getting the splash screen then you're not having the same issue noted in this thread and I'll need more details.  What is happening when you double-click HD6.jar (details needed)?  What happens if you open a command prompt, cd to the directory that you unpacked HD into, and enter the following:

java -jar HD6.jar

Post the output of that command in a follow-up.

If they are getting the files out (i.e. able to double-click on HD6.jar), then the warning they're showing can be disregarded.

If they're not getting the files out (the error is halting the operation), then they're _really_ in the wrong thread.

Getting a little ahead here while we wait for a response, but if you’re getting the splash screen when you double click on HD6.jar and it’s freezing up (not getting into the main app after a few seconds) while running from your Documents folder, the main thing that I can see is the ampersand in your directory name.  It shouldn’t be an issue, but it’s possible that it’s causing problems when Java interacts with the native file system.  If all of the above assumptions are true (and there’s a lot of them), try renaming the directory to something simple — just HD6 or HeroDesigner or something similar without special characters.

9 hours ago, Simon said:

OK...first off, let's stick with the Documents directory for the time being.  Dropbox shouldn't be an issue, but let's work with one variable at a time.

I was assuming given the thread you posted in that you're getting the splash screen when you double click on HD6.jar (indicating the HD is loading)...and that it's getting stuck right around the "Loading Plugins..." point.  

If that is the case, do you show a file "trace.log" in the directory that you're running from after the problem occurs? If so, please post the contents of that file in a follow-up.

If you are _not_ getting the splash screen then you're not having the same issue noted in this thread and I'll need more details.  What is happening when you double-click HD6.jar (details needed)?  What happens if you open a command prompt, cd to the directory that you unpacked HD into, and enter the following:

java -jar HD6.jar

Post the output of that command in a follow-up.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>C:\Users\[REDACTED]\Dropbox\RPG Reference\Blank Sheets\Hero 5E&6E Designer java -jar HD6.jar
'C:\Users\[REDACTED]\Dropbox\RPG' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'6E' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd C:\Users\[REDACTED]\Dropbox\RPG Reference\Blank Sheets\Hero 5E&6E Designer
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

cd C:\Users\[REDACTED]\Documents\Hero 5E&6E Designer
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

So the ampersand is definitely causing some issues...

And changing the directory name fixed it!  Thank you so much!!!

Edited by Kintatsu